iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to host a Timber Framing Workshop with Jim Rogers

Started by Jim_Rogers, March 11, 2006, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

How to host a Timber Framing Workshop
with Jim Rogers

In order to host a workshop you'll need a plan of the building.
This plan will have to show all the dimensions of the bents and elevations and a stock list.
Some of the joinery details would also be nice if not all the joinery details.
You'll need to have a building permit if it is required in your area.
You'll need to have the foundation done if you intend on having the students raise the frame at the end of the weeks work.
These plans will have to be reviewed and approved by the instructor.
You'll need to have all the timbers on hand, and maybe some extras.
For me to come to your site and teach timber framing for a week that is five working days, the fee would be $2000 plus all travel expenses.
Travel expenses would include my gas for my truck, lodgings on the road if I can't get there in 12 hours of driving, lodging and meals for the week, and fuel for the truck to get back home.
If I can drive there, I will.
If I drive there, I'll bring all my timber framing tools, saws, chain mortiser, boring machine, and bits.
To offset the expenses, a host could offer to students, of all ages, the chance to learn timber framing with some "hands on" experience.
The fee the students would pay the host, which he would eventually pay to me would be between $300 to $400 depending on the actual expense based on the actual distance traveled.
For example, for me to travel to Ohio, I could drive to my sister's house in Carlisle, PA. And stay over night with her, each way. This would reduce the travel expenses.
My map program says to get to eastern Ohio, it would be around $61 for gas, plus tolls could be $75 or more each way. So we could rough out the numbers to between $150 to $200 each way.
To stay in a motel for a week, it could run around $270 to $300.
So in rough numbers it would be $2000 + $200 + $200 + $300 = $2700.
Now if we had, eight students would be willing to pay to learn that would be $2700 / 8 = $337.50 each.
Usually when I teach a workshop I require that each student reads Jack Sobon's book Build a Classic Timber Framed House first, before I get there. So that they are familiar with the terms and procedures of timber framing. So a book fee is usually added to the students cost.
I purchase a stack of books and get them shipped directly to the student so that they can start reading right away. This book fee with shipping  may add $30. So now it's $337.50 + $30 = $367.50 or in round numbers $370.00 each.
If the host of the workshop can't sign up eight students for $370 each (or whatever the actual estimated fee will be, based on the actual location and other expenses) then he would be responsible for the balance.
If the workshop host signed up more than eight students then we could discuss the details at that time. But usually six to eight students are the maximum for one instructor.
Besides providing the timbers ready for the students, the host would be responsible for additional extras. Some other expenses that the host will have to be prepared to pay for may be tent rental if it's going to rain. Portable out house rental, if the site doesn't have any other facilities.
And he would have to have everything done in advance that needs to be done, such as permits, foundation, and electrical power at the site, to name a few.
Students would be responsible for their own travel expenses, their own meals and lodging expenses during their stay near the site.
They should be at lease 18 years old to use power tools. And they should have their own timber framing hand tools, as well as basic carpentry tools.
A tool list would be forwarded to each student at the time of sign up.

I would be happy to discuss this with anyone who is interested in hosting a workshop.

Jim Rogers
Sneads Ferry, NC
800-422-6250
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Stan P

Jim,

Sounds pretty good.  Maybe I'll get organized for next year.  Would love to get a big barn in.  What lumber do you prefer to work with? 

Stan

Jim_Rogers

Most of my experiences have been with softwoods.
The layout of joints in hardwood is the same.
It just takes a little longer cutting joints with hardwoods.
Where are you located?

Jim Rogers

Stan P

Norfolk, CT

about as close to the NW corner as you can get.  Harleyrider and I are getting ready to put up a log cabin way back in the woods.  stay tuned.  I have a nice meadow that's screaming for a barn and plenty of trees in the woods. 

Stan

Raphael

If I'm still employing my new guy (Travis) at the time you get a workshop together (and we're not to busy) I'll pony up the cash to send him to it.  Also my Excavator's son has been talking about timber framing his own house, so he may be another student for you.
  Am I correct in assuming this will be a basic Square Rule workshop?

Quote from: Stan P on March 13, 2006, 07:19:43 PM
Norfolk, CT
about as close to the NW corner as you can get.

As a former resident of Salisbury, I think you need to check your map.  ;)

You, Harleyrider and anyone else who's interested have an open invitation to drop on down to Warren and check out our frame in progress.  I'm finishing the last of the joinery this week and Foard panel is now scheduled to start on the 20th.
  Our frame is off the same driveway as my Father's house (where we're currently living), so I'm on site 24/7 Tues-Friday, and of course I'll be here Monday the 20th.

If you're into really old timber frames there's a 200+ year old hand hewn frame coming down piece by piece to be reused about 2 miles further up the road.  It has some fairly unique joinery usage and an amazing hearth structure (3 fireplaces and 2 ovens) that's being moved with the frame.  I really wish I had more time right now to go through it.

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Stan P

Hi Rahael,

Good point.  I think anything within half an hour is rounding error to someone out of state.  Nice to see someone else in the area on this forum. I will  leave the details of a potential workshop up to Jim and might take you  up on your offer to look at your work.  Any problems with the town on approvals for your structure?  Did you buy dimensional lumber or cut it yourself? 

thanks

Stan

Raphael

I haven't had any major problems so far but have yet to get our inspector over for a framing inspection.  The 18x36 two story portion is considered an existing structure so no design approval was needed.
  The design of the additions needed an OK from and engineer.

Since this is a house they want all structural 2x lumber graded so the 2x8 joists and PT subsill were purchased.   I am planning on using 2x4s & 2x6s from my mill for nonload bearing partition walls and for the nailers that get inserted into the rough openings in the stressskin.  As I understand it they have no problems with ungraded 2X material for barns, sheds etc.

They also want the large ungraded timbers to come from a reputable sawmill or checked by an engineer.  Most of the timbers came from Trevor at the Falls Village Sawmill but I have slipped in several off my own mill as well as remilling a few of the damaged pieces from the primary frame for reuse elswhere in the frame.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Stan P

Thanks.  I'm looking at just putting a barn up, so hopefully it will be pretty straight forward.  Need to check with the town.   

HARLEYRIDER

Stan, I dont think you'll have trouble finding 6-8 students for a workshop.

Raph, PM me an address, and I'll stop by  to see your frame in the next week or two. Thanks for the invite.
Greenwoods Timberworks

Stan P

HarleyRider,

Lets get that cabin up first so we have  a place to sleep. 

Stan

Raphael

When do you guys plan on tackling this cabin?
Are you scribing it?
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Tremel

Jim,

Thanks for the info.  I'll be glad to give you a call as soon as I find some free time.  My job is like a roller-coaster, and lately it's a bit out of control.  My free time has been late at night or early in the AM.

It appears as if my club is willing to host a workshop.  We have everything on site that a host site would need, including plenty of indoor space.  (Two 60' x 120' buildings).  If we do this, we'll probably be thinking about doing this for the fall / 2007 timeframe.  This would most likely ocur during the week prior to are fall show (second week in August).

I can see two problems.  1.) Insurance.  This may not be too big of a deal as we may simply tie a club membership fee into the class.  This will cover both the club and the students.
2.) The number of students.  I'm willing to bet that we'll have more like 15 ~ 20 students.  There is a strong intrest in doing this.

I had planned on attending a class before the year is over, so I'm hoping that I can be an aid in the class if the class size is larger than 8.

We'll chat soon.  Most likely next week when I get a bit of a break.

Bill Tremel
Claysville, PA
Collector of Antique engines, Trucks, tractors and hobby farmer.

Stan P

Raphael

We hope to get going in April and we do plan to scribe it.

SP

Jim_Rogers

Bill:
I'm ready when you are.
If I'm not in leave a message.
Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!