iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sticker Species

Started by catvet, March 11, 2006, 02:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catvet

Another Newbie question. 

Is there any reason to worry about what species your stickers are made out of?  For instance, with maple should you have maple stickers?  Do different species result in more staining of boards?

Jerry
Catvet

Northern Vermont

Ianab

Generally, no it doesn't matter

Stickers being DRY and even thickenss matters. There might be some very fussy woods or combinations that give trouble, but I just use what I have. With cedar and cypress I can get away with green stickers (of the same species) but pine and eucalyptus stain if I try it.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Don_Lewis

Don't use really dry stickers with Oak especially. The stickers can dry the wood immediately under the stick and cause checks

Coon

One thing we have found with difference in species with white birch and aspen is to never use aspen for stickering the white birch as it does cause staining.  We try to only use the same species for both stickers and lumber piles.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

catvet

Thanks for the feedback.

Jerry
Catvet

Northern Vermont

Engineer

I did what everyone said not to do, when drying several stacks of white pine and mixed hardwoods.  I used frozen solid white pine, green stickers, because that was all I had at the time. 

Took some of the boards off the piles, they've been sitting for over a year, and there is some sticker marks, but they plane right out.  The stickers are nice and dry now, I run 'em through the planer to even them up in thickness and they're ready for another whack 'o lumber.

Deadwood

Hey Engineer, I'm glad everything turned out alright, but you got lucky. The fact that they planed right out is a good thing, because I got some sticker stain on some Ash I dried and I was not so lucky. It is unbelieavle how deep sticker stain can go. I mean deep, as in several pass planer deep!

I'm not giving you grief, I'm just letting you know that next time you might not be so lucky. I would not push your luck. I have always gone with the same type of stickers for the lumber I'm drying, or use Cedar stickers which don't seem to sticker stain.

mikeandike

Everytime the wind blows around here a hackberry breaks off.
It seems to be good sticker material to me. Nothing objectionable
to get on your boards. Easy to cut up.

It grows very fast. When I tried to cut up some for boards the 8 x8's
just curled up on the mill. After being cut a few days they straightened
up some, so I cut them for blocks under wood stacks and thought that
they would make good stickers too.
Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

JP Sinclair

I've had good luck with dry spruce stickers for multiple species.  I make 1"X1" when I'm cutting green framing timber from spruce and fir.  Throw the stickers out into the summer sun on some junk wood and turn them often.  The sun and wind dry them quickly and you'll have plenty in stock in no time.

SteveB

The hardwood sawmills I've been around in Central Ontario and New Brunswick ony used softwood stickers on their hardwood, and i thought that was to prevent staining, but I could be wrong.  These were farily large operations, where the wood would usually be kiln dired and usually plained / put through moulder prety quick after sawing.  Not sure on the softwood species, but I think they use spruce or balsam fir stickers.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!