iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Western Fallers Association

Started by Kevin, March 10, 2006, 09:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Tom

Is there going to be anything left of that tree after it hits the bottom.....   way down there?

That's a precarious place for a springboard, but I don't know how else he would have made the cut.  I think I would have tied myself to something though.  :-\ :D

Kevin

Tom;

I don't know what the story is with that photo but it doesn't look very safe.
Maybe the top is gone out of it.

Tom

Well, If that is a wedge he is taking out that side, the tree shouldn't be going anywhere until he gets back on terra firma.   I would still have a line tied to a stick or something on the high ground.

There is a pretty good rule for spear fisherman who dive.  Don't tie the line from the spear to your body, tie it to the gun.

The only thing I see that he is tied to is the saw. :D

Maybe it isn't really that far down and it's just an optical illusion.  :)

Jeff

Thats an amazing PDF. Don't stop at just the cover, lots of great stuff in there.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

By golly, you're right.  Nothing loaded when I clicked on it before.  I just figured Kevin must have made the post for the picture.   :P

chet

8)  I was on page 26 before I came up for air da first time. Very interesting.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Frickman

Thanks for the great link Kevin. I spent so much time reading it that I had to log back into the Forum.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

boboak

Thanks for the link.   Besides making some good points it gives a view of being a faller that most people don't ever get to see.
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

Kevin

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the reading and it's nice to know that someone is actually trying to make a difference .

Ed

Bob Smalser

Quote from: Kevin on March 14, 2006, 04:58:10 PM
I'm glad everyone is enjoying the reading and it's nice to know that someone is actually trying to make a difference .

Yes.  Fine effort, but he leaves me a bit confused.

The author makes it sound like y'all don't skid out and harvest ROW timber, merely push it off the downslope to make life hard for fallers.

He also says what he's calling "retention logging" and what we call "thinning" should be stopped immediately as a dangerous practice.   Well, we thin stands all the time by hand falling without damaging adjacent trees, let alone endangering the faller.  Not sure what he means here....he wants clearcuts only?

He also says 58 "fallers" were killed between 1995 and 2005.  Do buckers, choker setters, etc, et al have a voice or is he including them, too?

Bob

Frickman

Was the bcforestsafe website redone? I went back to look at it and seems totally different. More professional looking too.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!