iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanks in advance from my Great Grandkids

Started by bushhog, March 09, 2006, 03:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushhog

Thanks to the knowledge I have obtained here and the NCFS, my Mom and Dad and my Son, we put in 900 seedlings this past weekend.  500 white pine, 200 white oak, and 200 'wildlife' mix.  I know I may never see them mature, but that's OK. 8)

I used tree mats, which I never heard of before visiting this site, on 500 of the seedlings.  Used a planting bar also.

Ya'll Keep up the great work here, cause I'm still learning.

Even though I'm outta my league, maybe one day I can contribute something back to help ya'll.

Texas Ranger

Your not out of our league, just one of the newer players.  We have all level of players here, from beginners to the old pros, that is the neat part of Jeff's board.  You contribute by being here and using the board for what it was designed, the flow of information for those looking for the answers.

Keep it up, my grandkids will appreciate it as well. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

bushhog

Thanks JeffB, I certainly didn't mean to leave you out. 

This is definitely a great forum, with lots of character(s) ;D  Although it can be habit forming.

Alot of wisdom shared by a fun group. 

Just wanted to let ya'll know how much help you are to this newbie.

Coon

Glad to hear that you are protecting your families future.  It does not matter whether you see the mature trees in the years to come but what matters most is that you have helped out the environment for the future as well as the possiblities for your children, grandchildren, or great grand children in the years to come.  We as people need to be more respectful of mother nature because if we don't we won't have it for the generations that come after we are gone.  Personally I do not believe that most citizens are doing enough, therefore I give you all the praise I can.

Three cheers for bushhog and his family members: 8) 8) 8)
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Riles

If you have the energy to put 900 seedlings in the ground in a weekend with a planting bar, your chances of seeing big trees are pretty good.  :D
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Jeff

Aint it great to be in on such a thing? The Birth of a Forest?

For example many people look at say the harvesting of an aspen grove,  which is usually a clear cut as a terrible thing, but are really missing out if that is all they see. The birth of the new growth of aspen is a wonderment.

Look at this after one year.

These photos come from this thread.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=14180.0

Watching your trees grow and your children and your grandchildren, such a wonderful thing. bushhog, you are never ever out of your league here. This thread you just started has made my day, thank you for it, and thank you for being a member of the Forestry Forum. Your one of us. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bushhog

Yeah - I almost bit off more than I could chew with 900 seedlings in a weekend, but read somewhere that 450/day was a good average.

I do believe in putting back in the well and am trying to teach my kids the same.  If everybody keeps taking out of the well, sooner or later it will run dry.

You should have seen the look on my son's face when I told him even his kids might not see some of those white oaks mature - he then understood exactly what we were doing.  Hopefully he will still have the land long after I'm gone.

I'm just thankful he could have that experience with his grandparents, who at 67, can still outwork most 20 year olds.

I am a blessed man for sure!  Thank You Lord!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Riles on March 09, 2006, 04:19:51 PM
If you have the energy to put 900 seedlings in the ground in a weekend with a planting bar :D, you're chances of seeing big trees are pretty good.  :D

Talking about tree planting:

1500 seedlings a day isn't uncommon here when planting container/jiffy stock with a dibble on C&H scarification or fields. ;) I've planted about 20,000 trees on my ground and others have planted 50,000 as well.  I've even planted hardwood seed all over the place too. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

I have planted more than 5,000 in one day - wait a minute, about 10 workers did, but they work for me, can't I take credit?  ;D

Bushhog - well done! Not only in planting the trees - but also teaching your kids to plan for the long haul, and do things to make things better for all, not just for yourself.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

bushhog

1500/day and 20-50,000 trees planted - that is alot of planting guys!  Whoa!  I believe I would have to hire that out.  ;D 

My plan is to convert areas of forest where cows were allowed to run, back to natural forest.  Been clearing off russian olive trees, oriental bittersweet, multifora rose, poison oak/ivy that really took over, as no cattle for last 20-25 years and locust trees blown down by Ivan a couple of years ago made an unpassable mess - I'm just leaving the remaining standing locust and a few good woods.  Lots of work, but steady as she goes is gettin' er dun. 

We planted seedlings in some of the cleared areas mixed in with older growth black locust, as not much canopy from the locust trees.  Now all I have to do is keep all the invasives from coming back while a new canopy is forming.

I was also trying to make things not look like a tree farm, so mixed it up quite a bit as I planted -  planting on the sides of hills and around cut stumps and hidden rocks slowed us down a bit, but the soil appears to be good.   

I still have about 20-25 acres to work on to return back to native forest - I also want to stagger planting times just in case.

SwampDonkey

If your planting bareroot on field, then 750/day is achieveable. I've done it on a fill planting site, so you have to walk more and offset from already eastablished seedlings. You guys need someone to team you a bit. ;)

:D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bushhog

Hey Swampdonkey - If I get to where I can set 750/day I may quit my real job ;D

Actually, the management plan drawn up by my local foresters called for using a blade to take out all the existing locust trees and windrow them on sides of hill.  It would have also cut a trench for me to use for planting the seedlings.  Considering how long it would take for those locust to decompose and having to look at those brush piles , I decided to try an alternate route.  A heck of a lot more labor on me, but I'm hard headed anyway.

I plan on round 2 of planting next year though and may use some extra labor, but I needed to get my feet wet to understand exactly what is involved before I just open up my wallet. 

I'm hoping I got some really good genetic stock in these seedlings that will ultimately increase the overall forest quality for years to come.

My local Henderson County, NC foresters are great guys too!  They delivered my seedlings and even called me to follow up to make sure I was satisfied with the seedlings and check on how the planting went.   

Riles

Bushhog, I went the easy route and just had the NCFS plant my 2500 shortleaf for me a couple weeks ago. Ran about $65 an acre as I recall (with the state subsidy). Course they were using a machine and planting on pasture land. Probably took less than 2 hours.

I put 100 white oak along the driveway to go with the red oak and red maple I put in last year and that's where I learned I was a little too tall for the planting bar. 6 more inches and I wouldn't have to stoop so much.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!