iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kubota engine died 3x today(help!)

Started by big_sid, March 08, 2006, 06:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big_sid

my kubota died 3 times today,just like you turned the key off :o, it started right back and ran for awhile twice,third time I took a little break, the solenoid felt a little warm so I let it cool for awhile,ran just fine the rest of the day.could it be the solenoid ??? don"t think it's a fuel problem.
never been so happy to be so broke

Tom

Check  the wires on the back of the ignition switch.  You might have a loose, or broken, one .  I've been this route and it drove me up a wall.

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sparks

If this engine uses a fuel shut off solenoid there is a way to test to see if it is causing your problem. Once you get the engine started, unbolt the shut off solenoid on put a piece of duct tape over the hole. Unplug the solenoid, so that it doesn't hang by the wiring. If the engine does not die anymore, the solenoid is getting hot and diengaging.   Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Tom

A loose wire will disengage the solonoid too.

Mine finally quit.  I have a string attached to my manual fuel shutoff.  It's  lot cheaper than a new solonoid.  :)
I was quoted a price in the neighborhood of $100 for a new fuel solonoid.  ....and nobody had it.  I should have been able to guess that, eh?

Ed

Just to be sure.....check the fuel filter for water. It doesn't take much water to shut it down.

DAKHIKT  :D

Ed

big_sid

sparks, it does have the soleniod on the fuel pump, 1999 33 hp kubota. the soleniod does feel hot to the touch after it dies. it died only once today, after a couple of minutes it started up and ran fine the rest of the day. there could be some sludge in the fuel filter,but one usally misses or pulls down hard as it dies, it just dies like the key was turned off ....thanks for the replys.

New Inn Wood Man

Hi there,

I have a few experiences on m LT 40/42hp Kubota to share. I am not sure what mill you are running but at the risk of making a fool of myself I'll assume a WM. The stop solenoid on the Kubota energises and pulls the solenoid piston off of the stop lever in the the injector pump i.e. in normal running the solenoid is electrically holding the solenoid pin from shutting off the engine. When the solenoid loses power the spring in the solenoid pushes the pin out and shuts off the engine.

On one occasion in the middle of a contract job the mill stopped. On turning the ignition on all I could hear was a chattering noise which was traced to the stop solenoid. I eventually got it to start by removing the stop solenoid. I made a plywood blank with a hole in it for a screwdriver to shut the engine off and finished the job. I left the solenoid connected and cradled it in a glove on the side of the engine.

In the same circuit is the overtemp control. The book is a little ambiguous but it says it will either shut the engine down or to idle.
My problem turned out to be the 5 amp fuse on the side of the engine. It is under a black pressed steel cover just under the LP fuel pump. I replaced the fuse and all was good. Though my problem does not sound identical my experiences might help.

If I were in your position I would be tempted to remove the solenoid, blank the hole and see if you can run normally. I would expect the solenoid to be warm during normal running as I mentioned before it is energised in the run postion. Do you get and overtemp warning when you get the failure? If so, if you do not actually have an over temp situation, you might have an intermittent fault in any part of the solenoid circuit. I might also be tempted to temporarily wire in a bulb to show when the solenoid has power. If the bulb goes out you when the mill stops next time you know that power loss to the solenoid is the thing to investigate.

Hope all this helps a bit.

Richard

big_sid

the fuse you're talking about is next to the relay for the glow plugs, under a black box, is it a breaker type fuse? what do you think happened to it?.......thanks for the help

New Inn Wood Man

The fuse on mine is a blade type, 5 amp. The WM engineer advised that it can be uprated to a 7.5 amp.  If you stick your finger into the opening at the bottom of the box you might be able to hook the fuseholder out, check it and shove it back in othewrwise the two bolts that hold the cover on are abit fiddly.

I do not understand why it blew. I can only think the fuse was duff or slightly underated for the job hence thats why WM reckon its ok to go up in value.

If the fuse was 'dicky' on your mill though I would expect the chattering and you would be unable to start the mill? Are you thinking dry joint? Has it happened again? Did you get an overtemp warning light when it did happen?

Regards

Richard

Thank You Sponsors!