iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First sign of spring!

Started by Jeff, March 08, 2006, 10:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The Buzzards have finally come back!  8)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jon12345

Some of the garbage our dog dragged all over the yard right before snow that we didn't get a chance to pick up has come back too!!  :D :D :D  >:(
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Jeff

I really know when spring as truly arrived at a certain point something else suddenly appears in the back yard. EVERYWHERE. You see we have 3 dogs.

Another picture of a Buzzard, closer up:)

crtreedude

Spring fertilizer for the back lawn perhaps?
So, how did I end up here anyway?

CHARLIE

Yeah Jeff, I hate it when dem buzzards that were too lazy to migrate South dig down into the yard to hibernate for winter.  Every Fall, before the first snow, I walk around the yard looking for where they dug in and then I stomp on them and pack the dirt down.  It doesn't seem to hurt them any and sure as the sun rises they start popping up in the Spring.  I saw one or two last weekend but then we got 4 inches of fresh snow on Sunday and I think they got back down into their holes.  If it weren't so DanG muddy in the Springtime, I think it would be good sport to ride around the yard on my lawn tractor whacking off their DanG heads as they pop up. :o 8)
Dem folks down South probably have never experienced something like this and have no idea what the folks in the north have to go through every year. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Charlie, thats no joke. They are about as bad as dandelions 'cept dandelions can at least be made into wine. There ain't a danG thing you can make out of a buzzard fit to consume.   We had one winter where it got so cold so quick that the buzzards didn't get turned around in their burrows before the freeze hit. I wasn't sure what to make of it that spring until after closer examination we had buzzard butts emerging. What a mess. You step on one of those things and yer looking for unmelted snow to wipe your shoes off in before you go in the house. :-\

Texas Ranger

80's today, march winds, buzzards flying, birds a chirpin, foresters healing, trees a sproutin that yaller stuff, b-b-q on the grill this evening, cold beer to cut the heat, maybe some shrimps to go with the steak, who knows.

Life is good in paradice.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Yea, well you can thank Charlie for the fact that you can sit down there and watch them buzzards fly. If it had been dryer, and the sub-zero hadn't kilt his mower Battery, dem Buzzards would be mostly headless, Course, then you could thank Charlie for a different reason, cause if I was a Buzzard flying around yer house with a head to see and aim with and a full load, I know what I'd do with it. ;D 

Ernie

Quote from: Jeff B on March 08, 2006, 12:21:42 PM
There ain't a danG thing you can make out of a buzzard fit to consume.

We have a bird called a Pukeko down here.  It is some sort of swamp hen.  You could try the standard Pukeko recipe on your Buzzards

Take one Pukeko
Place in a large pot
Add one large rock
Boil vigorously until the rock is tender
Throw away Pukeko
Serve rock with gravy

Delicious ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

mike_van

Stewed plastic pink flamingo is great too -  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

CHARLIE

Well, it must be warmer in Michigan than it is here with dem hibernating buzzards popping up all ready.  Dem hibernating buzzards are the most worthless lazy ones of the specie.  The smart ones headed South.  I jes hate dem hibernating ones.  If'n I knew where they was hibernating, I'd go pound on them with a 12 pound sledge.  I think I'm gonna dig some of 'em up and ship 'em down to Texas. 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

crtreedude

I am starting to wonder if a few of you haven't suffered frostbite - or a really bad case of cabin fever!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

ElectricAl

Ya, It's Spring :(

Hail Storm going right now.

It's 1/2" now with 1" to 2" possible :o
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Jeff

YEA!  Al, I don't know if you got them DanG spring buzzards in Iowa, but if'n ya do, that should take em out! 8)

ScottAR

Spring done showed up in Arkansas... I got bit by a mosquito the other day...   :-\

Pretty nice weather though...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Bibbyman

The buzzards have been flying around here from a month or more.  They left out for about a week when we had a cold snap.  I've seen more bald eagles this year than ever – maybe because I was at home instead of at the office.

The daffodils are shooting up and starting to bloom.  The wheat is starting to come up and turn green where there's been enough moisture.

Of all the major storms going through since last Saturday,  we've only got enough to settle the dust.  Finally this morning we got enough rain to make a puddle and it looks like more is coming.   Now it'll probably rain for fourty days and fourty nights.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sawguy21

Snowed yesterday morning but the geese are returning in droves so they must know something. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

They know that if they keep messing up the porchs and fields down here they will end up on the table.  :D

Jeff

MULE_MAN

I think it's a Southern Thing Jeff

Buzzard & Grits  ::)  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Jeff

Well, I learned to like GOOD grits, but I'll pass on the buzzards other then the spring stomping season.

sprucebunny

This morning I saw chipmunks running across the road, a sure sign of spring but this afternoon it's snowing ;D

Jeff is gonna want to know if I couldn't have sped up and taken out a couple of those little stripe-ed guys :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Texas Ranger

We are about 2 weeks into the first signs of spring.  Bermuda shorts on the snow birds. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff B on March 08, 2006, 11:10:06 AM
I really know when spring as truly arrived at a certain point something else suddenly appears in the back yard. EVERYWHERE. You see we have 3 dogs.

Another picture of a Buzzard, closer up:)

I don't see any yellow snow.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodwalker

This isn't the first sign of spring anround here but look what I found this in the pasture this evening

Have to keep your eye on Mom

Dont' know if you can make out the channel cats, it's supper time and they are cleaning up some fish food.

Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Thank You Sponsors!