iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making Jigsaw puzzle boards

Started by crtreedude, March 08, 2006, 10:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

I have a friend who would like to make some jigsaw puzzles out of wood. He used to use plywood, but I was curious if you could use thin cut wood.

Of course the obvious issue is it split along the grain, but perhaps some woods don't have this problem?

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom

I'd have to say yes. 

This is some Intarsia made by one of my off-bearers one time.  It is nothing more than a jig-saw puzzle that has been affixed to a board with some judicious sanding to give it 3 dimensions.   He uses childrens coloring books for the the simplified outlines.

Jeff

I have to think that wood would (DOUBLE WORD TOM AND NOBLE) be much more durable then cardboard. Certainly you can break a piece, but then again you can also spill Kool-aid on card board and ruin it. You can glue wood back together. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Perhaps two pieces cut thin (1/8) and then one turned cross grained and glued... Might just work. Not sure we have plywood out here.

Tom

Why does it have to be thin?

I would think an interesting puzzle could be made of even 2 or 3 inch thick stock.  :)

crtreedude

I guess it would - but I think he wants it thin.

brdmkr

I have a very cool puzzle of a duck.  Likely close to 100 pieces.  It was sawed out of 3/4 SYP using a scroll saw.  If it comes apart, you have a heck of time putting it together.  If you like, I can try to post a pic of it.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

crtreedude

You even have to ask? Of course we want pictures!

Tom

Yeah!  Pictures!   One of it tore apart and one of it together.  ;D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

brdmkr

I'll take the picture, but if it comes apart, you guys have to come here to put it together!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

If you can't put it back together, don't call me.  I couldn't get humpty dumpty back together again either.  :D :D

brdmkr

Here it is.  A good friend made this for me as a gift.  He cut it out on a lil' cheap scroll saw that would shake your teeth out.  I think he did well 8) 8)  In my earlier post, I think I said it had about a hundred pieces.  It likely is not that many, but if it comes apart on you, you'd swear it was more like 1000 pieces :D :D  Can you see the piece in the center that is shaped like a duck?

crtreedude

Thank You Sponsors!