iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson blade raising

Started by rbjones03, March 06, 2006, 09:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbjones03

I have a Peterson WPF 8 . Saturday While I way cutting SYP on an 8" horzontial cut the blade kept wanting to rise up. I had plenty of water on the blade and this happened before and after sharpening the blade. It was so bad I had to make my cuts 4" at a time. Suggestions.
Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

getoverit

I have experienced something similar to this on my ATS, but it wasnt the blade moving, it was the log moving. When the log moves, it ruins the board I'm cutting at the time, but can also do enough damage on the rest of the log that I may not be able to straighten it back out.

I've bought a set of gripper dogs from JPGreen to see if I can eliminate this problem.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

rbjones03

I'm sure the log wasn't moving  this logs were over 30" in diameter and I have built a set of dogs that are similar to the grippers. 

DanG

It's the log, rb.  I've had pine logs that would turn the blade on my MD.  Sometimes, pine goes through what I call "the stringy stage" after it's been down for a while.  I first noticed it when I was grinding stumps.  If they had been cut for a few months, the late wood would be real tough and stringy so the grinder wouldn't cut them and the stump came out looking like a broom.  If left for a month or two, it would harden and become more brittle, and cut just fine.  I've noticed the same thing when sawing.

If you can finish it off with 4" cuts and a slower feed rate, you'll be fine.  I don't have that option with the MD, and sometimes I'll set the log aside for a month and it will cut fine after that.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

rbjones03

Jeff Meyer

I read what you wrote and I am wondering how much is it rising?  I am the west coast Peterson rep.  Let me know and I think I can help. 

Thanks,

Jeff Meyer

rbjones03

I raises enough that you can hardly push the mill. infact it will try to kick back if you let off forward pressure.  I think I may have a blade problem.

Jeff Meyer

Lets say you cut the board.  is there a lip on the log.  If so how high is the lip. 

rbjones03

No the blade actually tries to run up hill. If I backup move the blade left 4" I can push the blade through with some pressure. I then have to pull the blade backwards through the cut move the blade to right 4" inches and finish the cut. There is a obivoius cut in the board where it tries to raise.

The blade intersection and horizontial lead in are adjusted fine.

The blade is cool except one spot  about  3 " in diameter that is very hot.

Vermonter

Double check your tracks for straight.  Do this with the weight of the mill in the middle of the tracks.
New homestead

rbjones03

NZJake

Sounds like definate tension loss in the blade, most likely due to over pushing. Throw a new blade on and gently push it through, see how you go. Have you adjusted any part of the machine? Other than that it can only be either; not enough blade tilt or your horizontal criss-cross is out (if the criss cross is out it would want to skim with the back of the blade). Give us tech guys a call at the factory, we'll be glad to help you out.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

Part_Timer

If you think it is the blade take your blade off and lay it on a work bench.  take a straight edge and lay it across the blade and look for cupping in it. 

You should be able to tell right away if you lost your tension.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Jeff Meyer

Tension is a major part of making that blade cut correct.  I would check that but I have also had new baldes do that on real hard wood.  What I mean by hard wood is for example Doug Fir after it has been down for 3 or 4 years.  The knots are so hard a chainsaw has a hard time with it.  You will be cutting just fine and then you hit a knot and your blade goes up.  Then the next cut is fine.  Not sure if that is what is going on but I experience that all the time.  Hope you fix your problem

Captain

If you have a hot spot, enough to change color, change the blade and try another one.

The first sign of tension loss in a blade is the blade riding up on the top right side of the log when removing a slab....where the blade has to fight the curvature of the log while you are cutting. 

Good luck and report back!!

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!