iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Gas

Started by Shawn, March 04, 2006, 08:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

What do we do with the old gas/oil mixture. I have half gallon of 45:1 for my husky thats about 8 weeks old.
Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

sawguy21

I put it in the truck. 1/2 gallon is not enough for it to notice
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Shawn

I know chevy is "Like a Rock", but I don't know if I want to put oil in the gas tank. Won't that void the warrenty...wait it's 8 years old.

Rocky_J

Quote from: Shawn on March 04, 2006, 09:15:36 PM
I know chevy is "Like a Rock", but I don't know if I want to put oil in the gas tank. Won't that void the warrenty...wait it's 8 years old.

It's a half ounce of very clean burning oil- designed to be burned in an engine as a fuel. And no it will not 'void the warranty'. You put worse in your gas tank straight from the pump. You'd be amazed if you knew what was in those storage tanks at the corner gas station.

Ianab

Yeah.. just look at it as a little extra upper cylinder lube  :D

The engine wont even notice it's there mixed with a whole tank of gas.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

parrisw

8weeks old, thats not very old, just use it in the saw, or put it in your car!!

Shawn

The owners manual says to only mix enough to use in 4 weeks. So this will NOT effect fuels system seals?

Minnesota_boy

I mixed up a can of chainsaw gas last March and finished using it in January.  The can never sat it the sun, which could evaporate the most volatile components, but other than that it just rode around in my truck until I needed a refill.  Worked as well in January as it did in March.  Use clean fuel and good oil and don't worry much about it.

If the gas has "gone sour", you'll smell it.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Reddog

I just pour it in a old JD A. It runs on anything. :D

sawguy21

Our modern gasoline only has a shelf life of about six weeks. The aromatics disappear and the fuel will not vaporize as well, making the saw and most other two stroke tools hard to start.  My snowthrower was a pig to start after sitting close to 3 months. I had forgotten about it. ;D. Gas will be useless long before that infamous stale STINK becomes evident.

Shawn

I could always bottle it for use in starting fires with. To burn scraps, of course.

sawguy21

Al_Smith

There is this gent that posts on another site that claims he has runs a late model Chevy truck on 50 to 1 mix,since it was new.
As the story goes,this guy has a fishing camp in a remote area in Canada and buys boat gas 500 gallons at a time.He just dumps some in the Chevy and away he goes,fogging away,ha.
Actually I don't know if it would smoke much or not.For that matter,I have an old Ford that smokes a bit and I don't use mix gas in it.It runs along on 5 or 6 cylinders,depending on its mood at the time.

sfgjon

I use opti-2 oil in my 2 stroke mix, and I've had gas sit for 6 months (I forget sometimes....) and my Stihl ran just fine on it.

Tony_T

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 05, 2006, 11:34:40 AM
Our modern gasoline only has a shelf life of about six weeks. The aromatics disappear and the fuel will not vaporize as well, making the saw and most other two stroke tools hard to start.  My snowthrower was a pig to start after sitting close to 3 months. I had forgotten about it. ;D. Gas will be useless long before that infamous stale STINK becomes evident.

Most "aromatics" found in gasoline are LESS volitile (i.e. have lower vapor pressure and evaporate more SLOWLY) than the bulk of the fuel.  In general they burn more slowly and increase the anti-knock properties of the fuel. 

That being said the other more volitile components will evaporate quicker and change the fuels compostion but I don't expect this to be significant in a closed container (gas can)., if it was you'd notice a change in volume over time. 

Heat and light will cause more serious degradation of two cycle fuel as it may effect the lubracative properties of the added oils.  Some oils may also settle out over time, shake the can before refueling.

highpockets

I have a 65 Husky and I may not use it for a year at a time. I bought it in 1979 or 1980. It has failed to start twice.  Once the points needed filing and the other time the air filter was clogged.   I have had my share of problems with the gasoline drying in tanks, etc. on four stroke engines but when one adds the oil, I think it preserves the gas.  I have three saws and have never had problems with them and old gas.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

parrisw

If your worried about it going bad, put some stabilizer in there, it does help, I have used gas that is a year old that I had put stabilizer in.  Or you can run Camper fuel (white gas, naptha) its more money but it will never go bad.  I have used it, I have some sitting around, and used it in my little crafstman saw and it ran great.

Alta

Stihl oil has a fuel stabilizer in it which is kinda nice. I just smell it and if it smells like varnish its bad, if it smells like 2 stroke gas its fine. That said if its been sitting for 6 months it goes into my burn pile mix of used motor oil, diesel, as and anything else flamible/combustible.

With regard to evaporation, if the container is air tight, the vapors of what ever it is that evaporates will reach vapor pressure equalization in the container and evaporation will stop until the container is opened at which point it can resume. Once its closed, evaporatiion will only continue until the aformentioned pressure is reached, and the process repeats until the fuel is either used in a saw, dumped in the ol Chevy or thrown on the burn pile.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

oldsaw

Quote from: Shawn on March 04, 2006, 08:09:16 PM
What do we do with the old gas/oil mixture. I have half gallon of 45:1 for my husky thats about 8 weeks old.
Shawn...

Use it.  If you don't want to use it in the saw, then put it in your truck.  I run mix in everything, and will put the old stuff in my Wife's Windstar.  I've got a couple of gallons that are about 3-4 months old.  Ready for a big saw day that didn't happen.  If I don't throw it in my wife's van, it will go into JR's Norwood.  The mower is a good place too, but you are a couple of months farther out than I am.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Thank You Sponsors!