iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I guess you do get what you pay for....

Started by Dan_Shade, March 04, 2006, 02:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

i was sawing out a 6x6 (well, attempting to saw out a 6x6) yesterday, my saw head would not crank up, took me a minute to figure out the culprit:

shouldn't be too bad to fix it, i got two new eye bolts, I'm going to see if I can get it to work without bending them over, but I may have to
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

loudsam

I hear you Dan_Shade, and I feel your pain!  I've been feeling like that old saying "you get what you pay for" fits my situation also.  Good thing you didn't buy the eye bolts from the manufacturer.  Probably would have cost you about 400 dollars, and then maybe a couple hundred to ship them! ;D

Dan_Shade

i got 8" eye bolts, they were too long, I bent them over through the pritchel hole on my anvil.  first time i really needed it since I got it  8)

i should have got 6" bolts, because the 8" ones were too long.  so I sawzalled the long one off and then I leveled it all up.  i was too lazy to finish sawing the 6x6 so I covered the saw back up. 

I've been having a real problem with motivation lately, but then again, I helped a guy move a whack of logs with my log arch and his little tractor this morning.  still a lot of work, and I rolled a log at the limit of my 60 Logrite cant hooks bite!  I'm still wore out from that!

next up, figuring out how to improve the blade guides.  might be easier to just start over on the saw.

these hud-son mills are easy on the wallet, but their ain't much there....  but then again, for my use, I just can't justify spending a gazillion dollars on a mill, then having to use it every weekend to pay for it...

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jpgreen

Hard to tell from your pic what that is for sure?  Is it a broken bolt?  What caused it?
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Dan_Shade

it's a bent over eye bolt that broke where it was bent.

i'm guessing that they bend them with a chisel shaped tool in a die.  and it cracked and opened up, letting the saw head get all cockeyed on it's guys.

jpgreen

Sounds like a little simple re- engineering would fix her up.. smiley_beertoast
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Shawn

Loudsam (Doug) has a Hud-son oscar 30. He has melted one tire and his clutch just burned out. What does Hud-son say about this? They probably wouldn't want the bad publicity. I was going to buy one, til I seen the price. The I seen the woodmiser and timberkings. They are easy on the wallet. Still, I'm gonna attempt to build my own. Wish me luck. I may still come out broke.
Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

Dan_Shade

yeah, i fixed it.  I have a more complex engineering fix in my head for the whole up/down mechanism.  but like I said above, between that, and the blade guides, there comes a point where you could start over....

Dan_Shade

if you have fab skills, build one.  you can build a saw with the same "niceities" as a hud-son for less $$$$

the hudson is decent, but like I said, you get what you pay for.... my saw is out of warranty, and this is really a minor thing, it took me longer to find my tools than to fix it.

Shawn

Dan,
Do you think a 9hp tecumseh would work? It says for a go-kart setup. That would mean varible throttle. Right?

Engine
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

Thank You Sponsors!