iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar tone wood, does anybody know?

Started by KnotBB, March 04, 2006, 11:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnotBB

Just wondering if anybody knows about western red cedar tone wood? 

I came across some bundles of cedar shakes that were hand split over 50 years ago (maybe 70 years) and bundled as they came off the billet (book matched?).  They were stored in the rafters as "extras" for later use and forgotten and now are sitting outside in the rain and used as shims or what ever the need is at the time.   :(  One bundle is now in my unheated shop in western Oregon.
The have about 20 rings/inch, are about 5" X 30" and 1/4 +" thick and have a well aged color. 
Would these be worth planing and marketing as tone wood? 
Steve
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

Steve

Steve

Sounds like nice Cedar alright. For use in instruments you would have to have these in perfect pairs or bookmatches. The 5" widths is very limiting, probably only good for Ukuleles certainly not wide enough for guitars (need 8" or so).
I sell a little of this type wood with my my "sets" and have found outrageous cedar at the local lumber yard. I just look at the end of the stacks for the quartersawn grain and dig the piece out. I have found some wood with 50 to 60 rings to the inch. I was told this was wood from Canada, obviously old growth.

Another Steve
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

getoverit

Cedar makes a good wood for acoustic instruments, but I agree with Steve on the 5" width being a problem for larger instruments like guitars.

If you can find someone that makes dulcimers, this would be a perfect wood for them.

Hope this helps !

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

KnotBB

Thanks for the ideas.  I"ll do some checking and see what I find.  Nice to have a direction.

Steve
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

Thank You Sponsors!