iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dirty saws...??

Started by Woodhog, March 04, 2006, 08:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

You hear lots of talk regarding pollution from saws for the environment.. companies discontinuing some models etc..

This got me thinking (dangerous).
I wonder how healthy steady chainsaw useage is to the operator, disregarding driving the chain into your body, getting hit in the head by trees and limbs, over working in hot weather etc...

On the right kind of a day with no wind and the sun shining into the stand the air is saturated with wood dust and stuff floating around your head..

Also your head is stuck in the exhaust while bending over and cutting hour after hour.

It doesnt seem very healthy, are we really out in the "fresh" air while working in the woods??
Anyone seen any studies etc on this???

Thanks

beenthere

I don't worry about it. Not healthy to worry, IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

leweee

Oldtimer told me" If it don't kill ya ital make ya stronger" ;D
With 3 known carcinagens in gasoline" It ain't health food" :P ::)
20 years of snorten 2 stroke fumes will make you goofy( don't ask me how I know this) :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

sawguy21

I was wondering if there was a logical reason for getting this way, it's all that burnt Castrol up the nose. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tony_marks

well we all tend to need a little something to worry about.
worrying about this will do as much good, as worrying about anything else,,
to my way of trying to think. so have fun :)

Alta

All kidding aside, it is possible under the conditions mentioned to breath enough carbon monoxide to become hypoxic thus causing the operator to put down the saw, wander off in the woods, and driink a few beers.  Come to think of it.... ;D

timberjack240

theres nothin liek lookin at a woolly old hemlock windin yur saw up and a biig  blue cloud off ams oil shoots up into yur face   8)  ;D  ;D

OLD_ JD

whene i first start working in the wood 25 year's ago my boss told me he will pay me 4.00$ hour...and if I am still alive in the spring he will rize me too 4.50$ hour's.... :D....IMO...I shoud be up too $30.00 h by now.. ;D
canadien forest ranger

Brad Thompson

There are so many mosquitos in the woods where I cut that I welcome the smoke from the saw.  That is part of the reason I run 32:1 instead of 50:1.  It keeps me sane when cutting in July.  I would rather die early than suffer every year by the MN state bird!
Wherever you go, there you are!

Deadwood

I grew up around two strokes, snowmobiles, chainsaws and most lawnmowers were all 2 stroke powered. Lately through I have shifted over to the four stroke side of the world.

My new snowmobile, my lawnmower even my weedwacker are all four stroke engines. This leaves only my chainsaw left as a 2 stroke. I was never bothered by the fumes before, but lately smelling like a gas tank just isn't for me.

Awhile ago I made a post about the future chainsaws being four strokes. I eagerly await the day.

tony_marks

i bought an 028 at an estate sale. it cranked an ran fair. got it home and the filter was so caked with saw dust that it had  formed what looked like pressed board. cleaned it and it ran like new. i dont think the original owner even knew it had an air filter. kinda made u hurt for the poor thing all those yrs.. but 028 is a tough saw.

Deadwood

The 028 was a great saw. The power to weight ratio was perfect, not too big, but powerful enough to do most tasks. Limbing was a breeze, felling was doable, but more difficult than say with an 046.

At one time we had 4 028's, all running. It was a shame they discontinued them. One by one as each saw gave up the ghost, it was a parts donor for the next. Only when my father's house caught fire last year did the last two succomb to their firey end.

The 028 only had one major flaw. Sawdust caking up on the airfilter. It was a daily job to clean them as they goobled up the sawdust.

Alta

I inherited an 028 form a friend that moved off the hill to live in the land of sidewalks and street lights (his wife may have had something to do with it) and the thing was beat to hell, missing some parts, and didnt run. He thought it didnt have any spark. I nursed it back to health, but a 3/8 sprocket and 063 20" bar on it, tuned it up,  and its a cutting machine with a new life as my "mid sized" saw - nice! 8)

Thank You Sponsors!