iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How thick should I saw my green wood?

Started by dredgeslavedave, March 03, 2006, 07:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dredgeslavedave

I will be ordering a new mill the first of the week. Thank you to all the sponsors who have sent me movies to view. This has helped a lot in a very difficult decision, which mill to buy. Now that I have made up my mind, I need to know how much over should I cut my boards. Any ideas or suggestions? I have been cutting my Douglas fir with my Alaskan mill exactly 2"x6" for my framing lumber. I am open to any and all suggestions. Any and all types of trees. Thank you, Dave.
3 Alaskan's and a Grandburg mini mill. The newest addition to the family, Peterson WPF 8 inch with electric raising winch

Troy

Hey Dave,

First things first... What are you buying?  Don't even think that we, the members of the Forestry Forum, can wait in suspense til you get your mill.  We want to know now!  :D
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

mike_van

The depth of cut on my mill is pretty low teck - A yardstick graduated in eights in a channel with a fine steel rod showing where the blade is in relation to the bed. For 1" boards, I drop the head 1 1/8"  for 2",  2 1/8" The band doesn't take an eighth, but that works well for me.  For  hardwoods, I cut mostly 1" boards, thats what people ask me for. Framing type lumber, I still do 2" -  Sometimes someone wants a trailer deck 1 5/8" & i'll cut it that way.  Not being  Georgia Pacific,  I just can't have every dimension in every species.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

dredgeslavedave

Troy, due to the size of most of the logs in my area I will be getting a Peterson swing blade mill. I was going to get the ATS in the 8" with the 13hp Honda. Then I was going to wait for a year or two and put a larger engine on. After all the help on the forum I decided to go ahead and order the 27hp Kohler engine. Then to make matters worse I made the mistake of going to the Oregon Logging Conference in Eugene Oregon. Now it looks like I will need to spend even more money on a WPF Mike Van, do you cut all your boards right on 1" or 2" is that enough for shrinkage? Thank you, Dave.
3 Alaskan's and a Grandburg mini mill. The newest addition to the family, Peterson WPF 8 inch with electric raising winch

ibbob

Dave,
You want all your framing lumber to be the same no matter what mill it comes off of.  For my house I sawed at 1 3/4x5 3/4. 
Bob

dredgeslavedave

Thanks Bob, I need a lot of help. I was not sure while I was using the Alaskan. But the swinger will be SO much faster I did not want to make 5-10 MBF the wrong size. Dave.

getoverit

Glad to see another Peterson customer on the board !  They really do make an excellent product, and I'm VERY pleased with mine. I'm sure you will be up and sawing soon, and doing it a whole lot easier and faster than that alaskan mill too.

Welcome aboard !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

mike_van

Dave, unless one really cups bad, my 1" will plane to 3/4, the  2"  to 1 3/4".
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Captain

Congrats, Dave.  The production frame is where it is at..are you getting the electric winch as well??

Captain

Troy

Great Dave!  You will love the Peterson swingmill, ATS or WPF.  I have put my ATS through it's paces and it is a great piece of equipment.  Get that 27hp engine, you won't regret it!  Good luck and keep us posted on your mill order progress.
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

jpgreen

Back here in the peoples republic of Californiay for my personal use I just mill my construction lumber on the inch.  2X6, 4X6 etc. since I build with full rough sawn dimensions.

Shrinkage has never been a problem.  Just saw her up and build it. 

For cabinetry or furniture I use dried material anyway, so it gets cut to the size needed.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

dredgeslavedave

Yes Captain, I am going to add the electric raising winch option. That is one of the primary reasons I went to the WPF over the ATS. The other reason was the low frame made it extremely easy to remove boards out the side of the mill. Hope you all have a great time at your Winter Demo Day. I almost flew out to take part. I would have liked to see the ASM in action. Thank you, Dave.

solodan

I a gree with JP Green,
I would cut everything to full rough cut  demension.
Let the planer dress it to final demension, or just use it rough sawn as I prefer.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!