iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need some advice!

Started by WoodChucker, November 06, 2002, 11:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

The County Road Commission guys are cutting some trees along side the road of my property to put in a drainage ditch and bury phone lines.

It's almost a mile long and what there cutting will be stacked on my property for me and cut to 100".  It's all red oak, soft and hard maple, poplar and some really large red pine.

Here's my problem, because of some problems with my health right now, I had to retire my saw mill until spring, so will all this timber be any good by then, will it keep trough the winter ok?

I'm in the Northern part of lower Michigan and and theres already been some snow, but not much.

So what do you guys think? I'm really new to this and don't have a clue my self.  Thanks!

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

woodmills1

in my opinion they will all be fine till spring, though an end coating will cut down on checking.  the oak will do great, maple can spalt but probably won't by then, and if it does you can sell it as speciallty wood.  The poplar might be first to rot but I don't think it will in the time.  With the pine make sure it is off the ground and you cut it before the daily average temp is above 70, after that it will blue stain real quick and get full of worm holes.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

Woodchucker the logs will be fine. Your climate is the same as ours and we routinely have logs clear through winter. We have never end coated. Ditto on the pine.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

HEY !! That Denim pine is a specialty wood also !! ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

The wood will be fine. The important thing is to take care of your health problems. Good luck with that! We'll be praying for it. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WoodChucker

Hey thanks guys, for the good news and the get well wish. I was really worried it wouldn't be any good, except for maybe fire wood by the time spring got here, so this makes my day.

Thanks for being here and if you guys don't have anything to do next spring, come on over and we can have a ball cutting this stuff up, lol.

One things for sure, come spring I'm gonna find out just how much I like my new WM. :)
R.T.  

If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

ARKANSAWYER

If I could get a passport I would come if you let me use your saw.  If I brought mine I would get side tracked and might never make it up there or back home.  Just me and "Wanda" on the road and all them logs along the way might just be to much.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

WoodChucker

Quote If I could get a passport I would come if you let me use your saw.  If I brought mine I would get side tracked and might never make it up there or back home.  Just me and "Wanda" on the road and all them logs along the way might just be to much.
ARKANSAWYER

lol, well at least it wouldn't be hard to find your way back home. :)

R.T.

Jeff

Pick me up on the way A>K>S> I am right on the way. I can bring home that free Briggs and not even have to buy gas!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BRP

Mind if I tag along? I will hook up the mill and head to Arky's, then we will head to Jeff's house.....then.......hey I feel a mill front moving that way.Would be nice to mill some northern wood you guys are having all the fun. ;)

ARKANSAWYER

Not sure that they could stand to ARKY boys at one time up there.  We would cut up all of their trees and they wouldn't have any thing to do for the rest of the summer.  Would be a nice trip.  
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!