iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm Back - New Location

Started by Tom Sawyer, March 03, 2006, 02:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Hey!  It's been a while since I have been on here.  I moved my family to Aceh, Indonesia back in October and let's just say internet is a bit hard to come by here!  I haven't been sitting around doing nothing though.  Check out these pics of a chainsaw "mill" in operation

Notice the lack of safety gear.  After he had the log squared up I measured it in several places.  He was never out by more than 3/8 of an inch the whole way.  Not bad for freehand.  When he was finished squaring it up he then proceeded to cut the cant into 1"boards - again all freehand.

I hope to get some more pics of a stationery bandsaw mill in operation soon.

Tom

PS.  Jeff, as you can see, no weird chainsaws for me to ship to you from here!

Jeff

Glad to see you Tom! Are you going to be able to get on regular now?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Hi Tom,

I was watching the same for a bit - (and helping a little) yesterday. A few SurĂ¡ needed to come down near a river on a nearby property (lightning struck) and you didn't want to haul down the Peterson and setup up - so out comes the Alaskan Sawmill (what a weird name for the tropics!)

To set the first line they do free hand - but snap a red line first with cord soaked in red stuff. It works very well. Alvero was doing the cutting - I doubt I could do so well.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom Sawyer

Jeff, I am hoping to be able to get on more regular now.  We will hopefully have high speed websat at the office in a few weeks.

CR, this guy snapped a line also to mark the first cine.  He obviously has done this many times before.  I was a bit concerned that he might lose a leg, or at least a couple of toes, if the chain let go!  Too hot for safety boots here!

crtreedude

Yes, if you suited up here like they show in the safety films, you would die of heat stroke!

They do cut themselves at times (nobody has with us yet - we take our time in setup), if you want to hear the stories, just show them one scar - and you are off to the stories.

Safety boots here are used a lot, our climate is milder I suspect.

The crew seems to be very safety conscious - but they handle chainsaws like a carver. The chains are always kept razor sharp - this helps alot. You can't cut straight with a dull chain. With some of our trees, you can't even cut period without a very good, sharp chain.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom Sawyer

Here you die of heat stroke if you try to do more than walk to the fridge for some more ice!  We have 2 seasons here - Hot and Wet, and Hotter But Not So Wet.  We are in the second season now.

Thank You Sponsors!