iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Double "Peterson" Vision

Started by Radar67, March 02, 2006, 08:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

That's right, not one, but two Petersons 10" WPS on site this morning.  smiley_divide

Phil was good enough to bring both mills over from Georgia and he taught me the basics of  Peterson this morning.  :P

This afternoon, I got to drive the second mill all by myself. It was a lot of fun.  8)

I'll be going back to help Phil out for the next few days. Olen, you need to come this way! And DanG, Getoverit, CustomSawyer, and everyone!!!

Peterson sure does make a nice saw. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how to come up with some cash.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

jpgreen

A fast moving pandemic coming soon... the "Swing Mill" virus..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

woodbowl

Looks like a good day Radar. One day maybe I can get a swingmill. I've got the feaver, just don't have the leaver.  ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Radar67

Looks like we are both in the same boat then.....with no pharmacy in sight.  :D

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

getoverit

I'd love to visit some more Peterson owners !! Where are you?

By the way, arent you "driving" that WPF from the wrong side in that picture?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Radar67

GOI,
    We are in Hattiesburg, MS through the 11th. Well, in the pictures, Phil is driving, I'm driving the camera. He is driving from the wrong side, but he said it was easier to push than pull that late in the day.  ;D

Captain

Diffucult to swing the blade from that side of the mill...also not recommended unless double cutting.

When double cutting with the blade horizontal on the "wrong" side, it can save you from a birrage of sawdust at high velocity.... smiley_safety_glasses

Captain

Radar67

Captain,
     In the first picture he is doublecutting.

Stew

getoverit

speaking of sawdust....

I have now milled about 15 logs without moving the mill, and the sawdust got so deep that I couldnt hardly swing the blade. I havent found anything useful to do with it yet, so I gathered up about 7 wheel barrow loads of it and dumped it in the chicken pen. They didnt quite know what to do with it either, but last time I looked they were spreading it out  nicely :D

I think all of my cuts are from the "wrong end" of the log. I start off with the vertical cut, then finish up with the horizontal cut. That way, the board is laying right beside me when I get through cutting it loose. works for me  8)

Vermonter

getoverit;
I've used that method alot....
be careful with stuff over 2", it can pinch the blade.
On beams from small logs, that works very well, just use chainsaw wedges to hold up the beam.
BTW, I hit a plastic wedge once, and it kept a tooth from my blade in it.  Surprising, but true.
New homestead

Captain

Ken, there is no "wrong" end, it is all in the way you start your cut.  It is a must to start with your vertical cut when sawing alone.  However, I prefer to start with my horizontal cut when I have help.

You're right, Radar.  I saw that.  I also saw the other picture  :o

Captain

getoverit

Other than a few pine 4X6's, all I have been cutting so far is 1X material. Some for flooring, some for paneling for the new workshop (the old barn). This is why I have so much sawdust collecting up... I have to think of a way to get rid of it somehow, and the chickens seemed like the right thing to do so far... we'll see ;D

Captian,
So far I have been mostly working by myself, and this is the reason I cut the way I do. Occasionally, the wife will come and tail for me, but that is rare. I think I wore her out on the first day of tailing for me  :(  I've gotta learn how to slow down so she can keep up.

I've milled all of these logs, and other than sawdust, the slab pile is so small I could easily put it in the back of a pickup and still have plenty of room for other things. I'm still amazed how little is wasted with these mills. If it werent for limb stumps and "holes" in the logs, there really wouldnt be anything wasted but bark.

Radar,
Looks like y'all are having a good time over there. Wish I wasnt so far away so I could joibn you for a day or two.

Part_Timer

GOI

I have given a couple of pickup truck loads to some folks with horses to try out.  They say they like sawdust better than straw it works like kitty litter??  If it works out for them I'll be selling it not giving it away or burning it.

I have two words for ya Micro-Kerf :)
Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Captain

NOT the Hickory sawdust for horses...oak either...black walnut is the most toxic.

Now Pine, I can't produce enough to keep Mrs. Captain happy... smiley_horserider

Captain

DanG

Add Pecan to the list of no-nos for horsies.  Ya know, it's funny, but in all my studies when I was trying to learn all about horses, I NEVER saw the first word about the dangers of Juglone.  You'd think the horse books and websites would be screaming it at the top of their lungs. ???  I first heard about it on "Anvilfire", a blacksmithing site, and have seen it mentioned here a number of times.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

TN_man

Radar,
I know what you mean as to being fun to run one. ( don't try saying that to fast) I really enjoy running them too, but the swingblade is my son's and I can never talk him into letting me run it and him tailbear for me. :D
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

getoverit

Is the micro-kerf blade available for the 10" mill yet?

If so, it is something I would have to order from NZ or is it available here in the states?

jpgreen

Quote from: DanG on March 03, 2006, 12:34:14 AM
Add Pecan to the list of no-nos for horsies.  Ya know, it's funny, but in all my studies when I was trying to learn all about horses, I NEVER saw the first word about the dangers of Juglone.  You'd think the horse books and websites would be screaming it at the top of their lungs. ???  I first heard about it on "Anvilfire", a blacksmithing site, and have seen it mentioned here a number of times.

That's one amazing thing about the internet Dan...

We're constantly learning new things, and have a wealth of American enginuity and experience right at our fingertips, daily. I guess the whole world has this info on their desk now also.

In some aspects, us Americans are getting smarter, whilst at the same time we're getting dumber.

Now I'm confused..  :D

Captain

I've got a 10" microkerf on the way...should be here in about 2 weeks. 

PM me for a price if interested.

Thanks

Captain

Radar67

TN_man,   I've been cutting and tailing my own for the past two days...it is more of a workout than I can pay for at any gym.  :D Sneak out there when your son is not home and have a blast.

Captain,   When is Peterson going to open a full fledged "store" in the US where you can actually go in and look at all their products and take one home with you without having to order if you find one you like?

Stew

Captain

We've got one, right here, just not stocked the way I would like  :(

The swingmills.com website should reflect this very soon...hopefully in 30 days or so.

We are always pushing for more inventory here in the 'states.

Captain

Radar67

Captain, where is the show room located?

Stew

Captain

Well, tomorrow, it is right in front of the house  :)  We'll take pictures.  We don't have a "showroom" per se, just some mills ready to put into action for demo and a few for sale.  The best showroom is on Peterson's Website for now. 

I prefer the test drive to kicking tires anyhow  ;D

Captain

Radar67

Well, I have test drove one of them, but I'm more partial to being able to physically lay my eyes on them all to take all the questions off the table. I hate having to wait for something to be shipped in. That's just me.

Stew

Part_Timer

Stew

For me the worst part wasn't the wait but the wondering in what condition it would arrive.  While the crate was damaged I think that it was customs tearing it apart because they were jealous. :D

I would think that since the Peterson mills have so many possible options it would be kinda hard to decide which one to send over for stock.

I guess they just need to stock one of each. :)

Tom

Peterson 8" ATS.

Captain

I completely understand, Stew.  There is a whole lot to see and a whole lot of options to consider.  You've only been exposed to one little sliver of the Peterson Sawmill portfolio...and both of those mills are 3-4 years old to boot, there have been a lot of improvements since then.

Have a great time with Phil down there, looks like you guys have a lot of work to do!!

Captain

rathbone

Boy, I'm really liking what I am reading here regarding the peterson, I'm thinking about a ASM myself and I was not aware of the microkerf blade for the 10".  What is the cut on that one?  I know the kerf is certainly more that the bandmills will take but if the sawyer doesn't take his time and do a good job, you will wind up with wavy lumber and you have to spend alot more time on the planer or moulder.

Rathbone

Part_Timer

I have a micro for my 8" and the max. cut is 6".  I'm pretty sure that it is 6" on the 10" mill also.  Captain will know for sure though.

I'd sure like an ASM.  Maybe someday.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

jpgreen

I also think the great thing about the swing mill is the blade learning curve...

There isn't one..  :D

Captain

Yep, Tom is right.  6" max depth of cut on the 10" microkerf as well.  1/8" kerf.

Captain

Radar67

I'll be getting another dose of Peterson Monday thru Wednesday this coming week. I'm anxious to get started.  ;D

Stew

HARLEYRIDER

Just want to thank Captain for a very informative day. Getting a in-person demonstration, and hands on experience on the peterson mills is, well, 10 times better than the video.  He is a wealth of knowledge with swingmills, and a strait shooter.

Thanks
Greenwoods Timberworks

Thank You Sponsors!