iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PETERSON RETIPPING JIG

Started by NZJake, March 02, 2006, 06:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZJake

Well here it is folks the new vertical tipping jig, there still is an art to doing it but I can say its a whole lot easier to do it now. If a biginner like me can do it I'm sure you guys will have no trouble. Took a little practise to master it but I well and truly got the hang of it in the end.

Set the retip slider, rotate the blade onto the bronze tip platform, align and scribe a permanent line on the bronze plate for future alignment.

Clamp the tip and rotate the blade 5mm off the platform and apply the flux. Apply heat between both surfaces, once the solder is melting rotate the blade down while applying the heat bonding both flats. Remove the clamp and apply heat to the tip nose achieving a cherry red (this insures that a good bond is achieved, applying a little force to the blade while doing this).

Slide the tip holder off and dip it into water to cool it down, repeating the process once again for the next tip.

Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

Captain

Thanks Jake, I'll take 4 for inventory....send me another mill, would you?? :)

Captain

Part_Timer

jake

I'll take one for inventory too.  I promise not to use it.   MUCH 
If your just sending mills I'll take one of those also. :)

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

jpgreen

Looks very doable.. smiley_thumbsup_grin

What do tips cost? smiley_guitarist smiley_guitarist smiley_guitarist smiley_guitarist smiley_guitarist
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

getoverit

Awesome !!

How long did it take to retip that 8 tooth blade?  This sounds a LOT easier than sending it out to a sawdoc too :)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Captain

C2 carbide tips can be had for less than $2 each in the Timberpro Online Store.  Problem is, the owner hasn't listed them yet.....

Captain

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Captain

because ... well .. never mind  ::)

TN_man

Can this tool be used for checking for trueness, if that is a word?
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Part_Timer

Do you need to have the blade hammered after replacing the carbides?
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Captain

If the tool is setup using a new blade, the setting for the teeth should theoretically be the same for all.  This would be a cross check to make sure the blade is not different in dimension around the circumference.

The blade does NOT need to be tensioned just because you replaced the teeth.  However, if you get too overzealous with the torch, there can be damage.  It is advisable to use a small welding/brazing type tip rather than the cutting type tip to keep the heat pinpoint.

Captain

NZJake

Only the very tip of the blade gets hot for just a few seconds so you shouldn't need to retension the blade at all. I would be safe to say it takes around 5min per tooth? Checking for trueness wasn't really a consideration in designing the jig, easiest way to check if your blade is lost its tension is to note any purple/blue spots on the plate, or if it vibrates when swinging it from vertical to horizontal.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

jpgreen

I think the great thing too is that if you screw one up the first time, you can redo it.  The labor rate is cheap..  ;D  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!