iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adjusting a centrifugal clutch???

Started by loudsam, March 02, 2006, 07:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loudsam

My clutch is slipping.  There is no doubt in my mind that this is what is happening.  In fact there is smoke coming from the clutch itself.  Just a little, but no doubt coming from the clutch.  The engine runs fine.  The blade was cutting fine, and then there was a like rattling noise and the saw blade stopped turning altogether.  Is there a way to adjust a centrifugal clutch???  It's on a Vanguard 15 horse V-twin.  Any ideas or help will be GREATLY appreciated.  It's my first mill, and my first sawing experience, and needless to say, after the episode with the bandwheel belts melting, I'm beginning to get just a little discouraged.

Thanks,  Doug

JimBuis

I don't know your mill or specific clutch.  However, most centrifugal clutches do not have an adjustment.  You just have to repair them.  Have you disassembled the clutch to check for damage or foreign matter?  If oil, grease, or some similar lubricant gets inside of one, they will slip.  I have had a spring break inside of one and got jammed up inside the clutch.  If this happens and you continue to operate it, you will damage the clutch more severely.  I hope this helps.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

highpockets

Man, some of my luck must have rubbed off on you.  Keep your head up it'll get better.  My guess is that if you are sure you don't have loose belts, then your clutch is slipping.  I'd probably go ahead and dismantle the clutch and see what is happening.  I don't think there is anyway to reset it but maybe you'd be able to repair it before serious damage is done.  I am assuming the engine is coming up to speed and you don't have any wheel bearings, etc binding and creating extra load.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

loudsam

Thanks Jim!  No, I haven't disassembled it yet.  Actually the blade is still in the log, and I'm afraid of breaking the blade if I try to back out of it.  Something is sure screwed up with the clutch though, cause even when new, (about 2 logs ago), it was making a kind of rattling noise.  What would be the best way to back the blade out of the log, about 12 or 14 inches in, without breaking the blade, or damaging the guides???

loudsam

Hey Highpockets!  Yes, if when I first start the saw, and if I can get the blade to turn at full throttle, everything else is working right.  There is nothing whatsoever slipping or binding.  I'm certain it is the clutch.  In fact, I've know since I bought the saw new, that the clutch sounded funny to me, but, I've got really no experience with small engines/clutches, and I just thought that must be what they sounded like.  The engine/mill is under warranty, but, I want a little down time as possible because I'll be going back to my ship before too long!

Thanks,   Doug

GF

loudsam,
     I have hung a couple of blades in logs myself.  I use a good sharp wood chisel and cut throguh the log at the front of the blade, normally when you get alot of it chiseled out you can lift the board and break the rest that is next to the front tips of the blade.

Fla._Deadheader

We use a piece of broken blade, to scrape the sawdust from behind the blade so it will back out. Wear gloves and try to pull the blade opposite of the cutting and see if it will come unstuck. Then, use chisels, screwdrivers, wedges of some sort to open the kerf, if possible. If not, handsaw the piece that IS cut and remove the blade.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

loudsam

Thanks Guys!  It's a good thing I'm not trying to make a living sawing lumber!  I'd be headed for the poorhouse, for SURE! ;D

jpgreen

Well you know what would be my first recomendation doug..  :D

Hay- a sawzall would work good for getting the blade out.  And if you don't have one, you could get a $19.95 cheapy from Harbor Freight just for that purpose..   :)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

D._Frederick

Take the blade off of the mill, wedge up the board being cut, then work the blade out.

IL Bull

Do not run the engine with the clutch housing off of the clutch.  The shoes will fly off and strech the spring. :o  (don't ask how I know this) :P

Good luck,
Joe
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Dana

Now don't take this the wrong way, ;) But, if I were you I would box her up, and trade her in for one of those Orange rigs. :) Seriously though, I  am sure once you get all the bugs worked out you will be happy with your mill. Did you shipped therefore no one on one with a manufactures rep?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

wiam

I usually put a feeeling wedge in the kerf behine the blade and pull the mill back  (not running).  Move the wedge as needed.

Will

Dan_Shade

i got a blade wedged the other day quartering a log.  smoked the clutch good :(

i ended up prying the halves apart to the point I could get a 2" chunk in there, and then got the blade back to I could hit it again.

I've gotten better at keeping the blade moving, and can feel as the band speed drops off a bit.  I ease up on the pressure of the saw, and it keeps on going.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

loudsam

So Dan,  what did you do about the clutch.  Is it "shot"?  Are you going to have to buy another one?  Where are you going to get it?  Talk to me man!

Dan_Shade

i'm gonna run it 'till it won't run no more.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

loudsam

Yeah, I don't blame you, I would do the same thing, except mine already won't run anymore.  But, I was able to buy a new clutch from Linn Lumber Mills.  On there website, they've got the right size exactly for a pretty good price, in relation to what some others wanted.  Sheez, it's just a centrifugal clutch!  Some of these places, you'd think you were buying a Supercharger for a Corvette, or something.  In fact, I see the same thing happening with this personal sawmill business as I did with customizing cars.  There's a big "user tax", if you know what I mean! ;D

highpockets

Loudsam my wife's uncle says you can cure most anything if you will beat it to death with money.  You have never seen a Brinks Truck following a hearse, turn it loose.  Be a good captalist.   
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

mike_van

Sam, keep your chin up, it will all work out -  I built my own mill, some 15 years ago [before Al Gore invented the internet] there was only a few companies making them at the time - I'll be honest, I made some pretty crappy "lumber" early on. The head & the bed I completly redid 10 years ago.  These bandmills can be a cantankerous [is that a word?]  thing. But, you get it all together, all set up right, they will surprise you.  I can go up to the barn now, tighten the blade & push the start button - Be making good lumber in 5 minutes.  It takes time, lots of patience too.  Hang in there -  :)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Shawn

Highpockets,
Your right on the money (hehe). My saying to people is "I can fix anything!!! You just have to throw enough money at it!"

Loudsam (Doug) linn lumber has a good price at $150.  Hud-son wants $200.  James Osmond from cook saw forward this place for a clutch. I might call tomorrow, if I get time. Carter Brothers 1-800-523-5278.  www.carterbro.com
Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

loudsam

Yeah, I hear you guys!  Thanks for the encouragement.  I don't mind fixing things, if I don't have to throw TOO much money at it.  But, I'd like to saw some lumber before I have to go back to work and pay for all this junk!  At least the couple of logs I have sawn, the saw has cut accurately, at least for someone who's just learnin'. 

Shawn, how are you doing with the mill plans?  I still wish I had built my own mill.  I KNOW I could have built it better than the one I bought.  I KNOW the clutch would have worked right, at least!

Right now, I'm thinking of a plan for building re-usable pallets for stacking lumber, (if I ever get a chance to saw any), on. 8)

Doug

Shawn

QuoteShawn, how are you doing with the mill plans?

Finalizing my steel order, Gonna try to get that used motor tomorrow and rebuilt the carb. My friend is bringing the arc welder next week. I should be welding by next weekend and milling by June! Doug, you can always Extend your mill to cut longer. Atleast your milling, for the most part. If I get my carriage and cutter head square I'll be happy. Also the blade tensioner will be tricky. Bought a 12 Volt atv winch for cutter head up/down. If motor doesn't pan out, I'll get that 9HP tecumse w/ elec start. Probably gonna order a linn clutch. I also have rollers, shafts, wheels and hubs.......Blades and pillow blocks are inroute from cooks saw and my B-I-L is making my guides. I think thats it? Am I forgeting anything???
Shawn...

Lots of steel, NO sawdust...Yet!

Rancher

Doug,
   I still have some of my "learning curve" lumber on hand to remind me that I still need to learn. I am just glad I didn't have to go through the frustrations of the breakdowns you have had. Everybody manages to polish a little steel and stick bands in logs. Part of the fun (?) of learning. I am sure it will be smooth sawing for you soon.

Dave
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

loudsam

Dave,  thanks for the encouragement!  I think my problem all along has been the clutch, and I was just too inexperienced to realize it.  I think once I've got that replaced, I'll do alright, at least for awhile.  Thank God for the forum, and a bunch of guys who truly encourage a person to overcome the little obstacles!  It's like having a bunch of friends who know what your talking, or asking, about!

Doug

Shawn

Doug, Will Hud-son warrenty that clutch? Didn't you just get it?
Shawn...

Thank You Sponsors!