iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Now, how do you say that exactly?

Started by Paschale, November 05, 2002, 08:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Hi everyone,

Just a pronunciation question.  An old-timer I was talking about kiln drying continually said "kill dried."  I thought it was odd, but didn't comment on it.  As I continued pronouncing it with the "n" at the end, he stopped at one point and told me that if I wanted people to know how green I am, I should keep pronouncing it with the "n" at the end, but if I wanted to get someone's attention and show that I really know what I'm talking about, I should drop the "n" and say "kill dried."  He acknowledged that it was spelled k-i-l-n, but he said the 'n' was silent.  I was raised to respect my elders, but I thought I'd run this by the forum and get some opinions on how to sound like I really know what I'm talking about. (Which really would be a stretch!)

Dan M.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Weekend_Sawyer

Well I'm just a few years into milling but I have never heard of "kill drying" anything.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Don P

The n is only silent in his presence :D  I've heard a few others pronounce it the same way, I defer to their wisdom in their presence and just talk about drying it. If asked, they'll tell you that you have to kill lumber before using it, always a good thing ;D.

CHARLIE

Actually, I believe both ways are proper. :P
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Righto Charlio

Webster says:

Main Entry: kiln  
Pronunciation: 'kiln, 'kil
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English kilne, from Old English cyln, from Latin culina kitchen, from coquere to cook -- more at COOK
Date: before 12th century
: an oven, furnace, or heated enclosure used for processing a substance by burning, firing, or drying
- kiln transitive verb

I was corrected years ago when I thought that Kiln only had to do with bricks or ceramics.  From then till now I have said Kil and thought kill.   It is easier to say than putting an "N" on the end for me.

Jeff

Might be a little regional influence too. How do I say it?

Guess what. When I read this I thought to myself that its kiln dried.(Let me interupt this for one sec, Tammy just hollered in and asked me who I was talking to)  I am talking to myself out loud as I would normally and used it in a sentence. I guess my brain says kiln dried but my mouth says kildried.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RavioliKid

I grew up (up to high school) pronouncing "kiln" as "kill". In college and after, everyone has been pronouncing it "kiln", so I changed my pronunciation.

Now, I am starting to hear "kill" again.

Maybe it's just fads and fashions?

(Of course, the kiln I was talking about was a ceramics kiln, but a kiln is a kiln...)
 ;)
RavioliKid

Frank_Pender

When I traveled around to the various 25 or so mills my father purchased lumber from, I always heard the word "kil".  As a youngen I was fast to learn that there was more than one meaning or spelling for the sounds that came from folks mouths. This was one of those terms.  Somewhat like Rav, I used the "kil" term until I was more highly edicated.  I then became one of those folks that was/is an edicater.   :D   The term then became one of "kiln".  Now that I am retired (no new tred visable) I have reverted to the days of my childhood.  Guess what?  The sound as well as the spelling have changed to "kil".  Like was mentioned earlier, it sounds like I know what I am talking about. :P
Frank Pender

Don P

Have mercy :-[ :D
I better go get some rhubarb pie to help wash down the taste of boot leather. I had always thought that pronunciation was borderline illiterate...upon actually reading a dictionary, yup I was right , I'm borderline illiterate :D.

woodmills1

pronounce kil  no n, my first wife was a fine artist, as in painting, jewelry, and pottery.  SHE SAID kil, and would have it no other way.  Notice I said first wife. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Paschale

This is all pretty interesting.  It seems there's a variety of ways people say kiln, and that both are correct.  As I think back on what this old-timer said to me, it was clear that he was trying to help me look like I was an old hand at having lumber dried.  He was concerned that a kiln operator would take advantage of someone so green as to actually pronounce the word with an "n."  I think I'm going to keep my ears open around people who own kilns and see how they pronounce it.  I'll report back sometime on what the locals here in West Michigan say...for now, maybe I'll just say I'd like my lumber dried in one of those heater thingamajigs--and then I'll really be taken advantage of!  :-)

Jeff

I say, say it fast, fake the N and they wont know what you said.

Or you could talk with a german accent and call yourself forestmeister and they wont dare argue with your pronunciations
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Must be regional.  I've always heard em refered to as kilns with an N.  Never heard em called a kil.  That's what you do to deer.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

OneWithWood

I'm with Corley5.  I have always heard them referred to as kilNs.  But then again I always thought bringing a tree from an upright position to a horizontal position was referred to as fElling a tree.  Ever since I got on this forum and discovered how little I know about what I have been doing for  many years I have been more inclined to read and listen than to speak  :-[
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

You mean it's not "chopping a tree down?" :D

OneWithWood

Used to be but then I discovered how to start the chainsaw :D :D ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Paschale

Well, if you don't fEll a tree, what do you do with it?  It seems to me that there's an entire lexicon related to forestry and logging, and your average man on the street doesn't know jack-diddly about most of it.  I'd have to say I'm that average man on the street!   :)

Dan M.

SawBilly

I think it is BOTH

use the KilN to dry wood to a useable level

use the KiLL to kill the bugs when their done making the wood special ;D

SawBilly

I have actuall heard it both ways....guess that makes it bi-linguial!!!

remainds me of a time when I asked why my wife she cut 2 inches off of the roast every time she cooked one. She replied "you have to, it makes it taste better" and "thats just the way it is done" of course I argued and we refered the question to the one who had taught her to cook, her mother....well her mother finally said lets ask grandmother because thats the way she does it.....

Grandmother said "That was the size pan I had"

poe-tay-toe...paugh-tay-ta....tater....all the same thing...great with ketchup!!!

Brian_Bailey

The Amish near me say "kil".  I always thought it sounded kinda strange cause I have always pronouced it as "kiln". I guess that's what makes the english language so difficult, so many variances of the same word or meaning.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Dugsaws

I have always said kiln with the n  too, but since i started building mine everyone will ask me what are you doing with that building and I explain, and they say oh a kil dryer. So I am with sawbilly as being bi-linguial also.
  Maybe I will learn more as time goes on, just my 2 cents anyhow

Doug
Doug

CHARLIE

To call a Kiln or a Kil a Kil Dryer would be redundant wouldn't it? :-/
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

woodman

Jim Cripanuk

Bro. Noble

Personally I don't give two hoots how anyone says it.  What concerns me is Jeff and Kiwi Charlie's spelling (let alone pronunciation) of a word on another thread.  They referred to them as 'teets' !  Makes you wonder about their qualifications.
 On the otherhand they may be writing with a spanish accent.  In which case  'Lo Siento Mucho'.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

C_Miller

I always fired pottery in a kill and dried lumber in a kiln.

In either or (is that  "eyether"  ?) case, try not to catch your teets in the door.

C ;D
CJM

Thank You Sponsors!