iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HELP! My band wheels melted!!!

Started by loudsam, February 28, 2006, 12:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loudsam

Well, now I really need advice.  I was sawing through some "aged", frozen, oak, about 12 or more inches in diameter.  The saw, a Hud-Son was going through it pretty well, when I reached a point where it wouldn't saw through it any more.  I stopped the saw, (probably shouldn't have), and apparently, the blade was so hot it melted the plastic, or whatever that stuff is on the bandwheels.  I was using lots of anti-freeze, and I wasn't pushing it too hard.  The engine wasn't dogging, but, evidently the blade was getting real hot.

I think I know what happened.   But, what do I do about getting more of the plastic, or whatever it is that encircles the circumference of the bandwheels?  I'm sure I'll be able to get the blade and old, melted, plastic off.  Where would I get new plastic or whatever that is around the wheels?  I don't want to get it from the manufacturer, because quite frankly, their service leaves alot to be desired.  What else should I look for in regards to other damage that might have been done?  Any and ALL advice, or suggestions, will of course be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

getoverit

*****putting on redneck shade tree mechanic hat*******

I dont know what it is or how thick it is, but if it was me, I think the first thing I would do is to try finding an bicycle inner tube smaller than the bandwheel, cut a strip of it to size, stretch it onto the bandwheel after applying some contact cement to it and see if it would do the trick.

****taking off redneck shade tree mechanic hat******
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

jrokusek

I'd check with some of the sponsors on the left side of this page first, then if that doesn't work out for you, take a look at:  http://www.suffolkmachine.com/band_saw_tires.asp

jpgreen

I think there's no hope Doug.

Send me the mill, and buy a new one...  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Jeff

Generally I promote alternative thinking and new ways of doing things however please don't try getoverit's suggestion. :D I'm sure there are some hudson owners out there that have an idea on what you need to do.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

loudsam

Quote from: Jeff B on February 28, 2006, 12:51:19 AM
Generally I promote alternative thinking and new ways of doing things however please don't try getoverit's suggestion. :D I'm sure there are some hudson owners out there that have an idea on what you need to do.

Yea, I don't think I can take the cheap route with this particular item.  Hud-Son calls it the "Standard Pyrathane Belt", which can be replaced with the "B49 Crowned Back Belt", wherever that is.  Naturally, they don't say on their website where you can buy that particular belt.

JPGreen, I'm seriously considering sending you this mill! ;D

jpgreen

Well after ya send me your mill Doug, I'll tell you you can get that B49 at any industrial supply parts house..  :D

loudsam

Quote from: jpgreen on February 28, 2006, 01:06:56 AM
Well after ya send me your mill Doug, I'll tell you you can get that B49 at any industrial supply parts house..  :D

You gotta be kidding???  Can you buy it online?  Tell me where JPGreen!   I haven't sent the saw yet.  If I send it, will you tell me where online I can get the part?  Oh yeah, I wouldn't need it, if I sent you the saw!  Think of the money I'd save!!! 8)

jpgreen

Two shops come to mind.  How bout' Grainger, and Napa.  Y'all got those back thar don'tcha?

Hurry and send it, then go git yer belts..  ;D    ....... 8) 8) 8)

loudsam

Quote from: jpgreen on February 28, 2006, 01:18:29 AM
Two shops come to mind.  How bout' Grainger, and Napa.  Y'all got those back thar don'tcha?

Hurry and send it, then go git yer belts..  ;D    ....... 8) 8) 8)

OK!  I'm heading out to the garage to pack it up!  Should be there when you wake up in the morning!

Radar67

Yep, NAPA has them, just picked up a couple for my mill a few weeks back.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

loudsam

I gotta tell ya;  You guys are alright!  This forum is a great place for a dumby like me to hang around and learn from!  I just told my wife that some summer we should jump in the car and drive around the country and meet all our online friends!  I was serious too, but, I think she thinks I'm kidding!  Don't worry, I won't show up at your house.  If I do, I won't stay long!

Radar67

Doug,
     Take a look at this post, as it will give some info on wheel alignment when you change belts.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=16865.msg242518#msg242518

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

mike_van

Sam, my question - why run antifreeze on an oak log?  I never have had to.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

isassi

Here is another time I can help  ;D Doug, I think it would cost way too much to send your mill to JP, and since I am halfway between you and him.....you just send it to me, and I'll even buy the belts....and then I will re-pack it for shipment out to JP..... :D :D :D  after I use it for a few...decades.  ;)

Dana

B49 is a size/spec. for belts that your auto-parts store will understand.  Don't tell them its for a saw it will only confuse most guys. You will have to give them a length number as well. (measure the band wheel) I don't know about your mill, but on my wood-mizer, the belts are not 100% tight fit to the wheels.  Maybe the saw company can give you the correct length. I know this might sound crazy, but did you accidently have the teath in the blade reversed? I can't imagine it would cut in oak that way, but where else would that much heat come from?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

bcraw98

Maybe there wasn't enough band blade tension and the drive wheel was slipping?
Wife and best Friend, 3 girls and a boy, son-in-law, lots of land, horses, cows, and trees. Life is Good

Minnesota_boy

If you don't have a Napa store of auto parts store where you live, check out the place that you bought the tractor.  They sometimes carry belts that the auto parts don't.

If you melted the belt, it is because the blade was slipping on it.  Tighten the band a little more next time and try sawing a little slower.  Don't put much (if any) lube on the blade unless you see a build-up of sap and sawdust.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

slowzuki

B is the width, 49 is the length.
Ken

Quote from: Dana on February 28, 2006, 06:41:02 AM
B49 is a size/spec. for belts that your auto-parts store will understand. 

loudsam

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on February 28, 2006, 07:59:03 AM
If you don't have a Napa store of auto parts store where you live, check out the place that you bought the tractor. They sometimes carry belts that the auto parts don't.

If you melted the belt, it is because the blade was slipping on it. Tighten the band a little more next time and try sawing a little slower. Don't put much (if any) lube on the blade unless you see a build-up of sap and sawdust.

I think your right about the blade tension.  The "manual" I got from Hud-Son said tighten the blade tensioning bolt to 20 to 25 ft/lbs.  I tightened it to 27 with a good torque wrench.  When I sawed through some Ash, with no problem, I had the original blade, and I had it tightened till it felt good to me, I wasn't using a torque wrench.  This time, with the new blade, I tightened the tensioning bolt to factory specs, and for sure the blade was slipping, and for sure the friction melted the belt. 

Kirk_Allen

Could the antifreeze caused part of the problem as well?  I run windshield washer fluid in the winter because some folks have said that antifreeze can break down some of the urethane wheels.

Minnesota_boy

Bands don't always stay at the tension you set them at either.  If youi put on a fresh band, the belts on the wheels are loose in their groove.  You tension the band and the belts slide down in that pulley groove, but not as far as they will when the pulleys are turning. 

Next time, put on the new band, tension it properly, then start the band turning for a few seconds.  Now check the tension again. 

I have a hydraulic tensioner and a guage to watch and when I first turn the band a few revolutions, the tension really drops.  Tension it again and it will usually stay pretty close.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

loudsam

Quote from: Kirk Allen on February 28, 2006, 10:25:02 AM
Could the antifreeze caused part of the problem as well?  I run windshield washer fluid in the winter because some folks have said that antifreeze can break down some of the urethane wheels.

I'm sorry, I SAID anti-freeze, (I don't know why), actually it is windshield washer fluid, evidently with some sort of anti-freeze, cause otherwise it would freeze up here.  I was thinking of anti-freeze because my dog was in the garage, and I was watching to make sure she didn't lick it off the floor.

loudsam

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on February 28, 2006, 10:27:07 AM
Bands don't always stay at the tension you set them at either.  If youi put on a fresh band, the belts on the wheels are loose in their groove.  You tension the band and the belts slide down in that pulley groove, but not as far as they will when the pulleys are turning. 

Next time, put on the new band, tension it properly, then start the band turning for a few seconds.  Now check the tension again. 

I have a hydraulic tensioner and a guage to watch and when I first turn the band a few revolutions, the tension really drops.  Tension it again and it will usually stay pretty close.

I just got to thinking, Hud-Son said to tension the tensioning bolt to 20 to 25 ft lbs.  But, the mill comes with a thinner blade than I bought from Woodmizer.  When I ordered the new blades, I told the guy at Woodmizer I was going to be sawing what is probably frozen oak, and the blade I ordered is the blade he suggested.  The original blade was .035 or something, this new Woodmizer blade is .045.  Could the extra thickness require a little more tension?  Also, the hook angle is alot differant than the original blade.  Hook angle is 9 degrees on the new blade??? 

jpgreen

Doug go here:

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/six_rules.asp

I'm in such a helpful mood today... maybe it's the snow..  :D

Thank You Sponsors!