iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

external regulator on MD- need help

Started by karl, February 27, 2006, 06:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karl

The wire from the distributor broke off flush with the face of the regulator - it's a sealed unit on a Motorola altenator. My local auto parts stores can't cross reference the #s to figure out what it was originally designed for. Mod # on altenator is 8TA2028E # on reg is 8RF2019A (we think-faded pretty bad)
MD wants $94.+ for the reg plus shipping.  :o
Seems to me I might be able to get it cheaper if'n I knew what it was.......

Plan B.  why can't I fabricate brackets (if needed) and install a GM one wire alt (one of several layin' 'round here)????? The problem I see with that is- I am dumber than a box of rocks about auto wiring- whatdoIgottado to hook it up?? What to do with all those "spare" wires??? ???

Thanks in advance for any help.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

DanG

Wherebouts on the distributor does that wire go?  I know your mill is a bit newer than mine, so my manual probably won't help.  Do you got points, or some of that fancy-schmancy lektronik stuff?  If it's points, you could probably just run the wire to the + side of the battery and get'r goin'.

Maybe Sawmill John will duck in here and come to the rescue.  Just in case, put all the pertinant info on here for him.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Slabs

I'm still in the dark about the "distributor" wire breaking off the "regulator".  I'm assuming that the distributor is taking power off the alternator regulator from a terminal (probably the exciter/tickler terminal) of the alternator's regulator that is coming from the ignition terminal of the "key" switch.  AS for replacing the Motorola alternator with a one or two-wire Delco-- it can be done and proably much cheaper than the $90+ quoted by whomever.  Many vehicles and other machines have been retrofitted with Delco's including British Mfg. cars with positive ground. (that is back when they were point-coil ignition and not electronic) The battery terminals were merely reversed because the Smith gauges didn't care what the polarity was since they were the "hot-wire" type.  No doubt you won't have to worry about polarity with your mill.  Try to ascertain what the function of the "broken wire" is and it may well be connected to another place in the "ignition" circuit besides the regulator.

Anybody out there got a wiring diagram for a MD?  (DanG???)  Or maybe a looky-see as to how one is wired up??

Good luck.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

karl

Dang- Mne's an 82 with points- the wire runs(ran ::)) from da regulator to the + side of coil (not distributor- couldn't see what I was saying before ::)) Then there is a wire from the alterinator to Batt. and another wire from alt thru ignition to coil  ???
The busted sucker is the only one on the reg. -so I assume(hate that word) that it was sending a signal telling how much juice to send to batt. Eh?

Slabs- You think YOU'RE in the dark! I even read my post over and didn't see that coil isn't spelled d-i-s-t-r-b-u-t-e-r ::)
I don't know diddly about  exciter/tickler terminals (sounds R rated) but the only wire going to the regulator itself is the one that broke. there are 2 or 3 wires that come out of the back of this sealed up unit and go to terminals in a gasketed cavity in the alternator behind the reg.- I'm kinda thinking/hoping that one of them might be able to be tapped into to serve the same function ???
I've got a diagram- kin maybe git it scanned tomorrow at a friends.........maybe some pics of the $94. piece of plastic too.

Thanks for the responces.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

DanG

Mine is an '86.  I was thinkin' you had a '92, but that must be Oakiemac.  Anyway, my alternator don't even work...I just charge the batt. once a week or so. I'm pretty sure you can just run that wire to anything that is +, but I'll check tomorrow to be sure.  I'll also check my manual for a wiring diagram.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

scsmith42

Re wiring the "one-wire" delco alternator, I've put these on several pieces of equipment and am a big believer in them.  Last time I bought one it was about 50 bucks.

Find whichever one of your original wires is hot when the ignition switch is on. This is the one to hook up to the alternator (typically a 10 or 12 guage wire).  Attach the wire from the positive side of the coil to this same terminal.  Tape the other wires off so that they don't short out and you'll be in business.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ScottAR

A delco will work dandy...  There's all kinds of farm equipment runnin' around Arkansas with that exact setup. 

We've got a customer that rebuilts irrigation power units; mostly Duetz.  They use a $450 motorola alt.   He comes to see us and $40.oo later the unit is pumpin' water...

He also discovered that a $1.39 spark plug for a 300 ford six uses the same thread as a $20.00 duetz core plug.  Just knocks the porcelian off and grinds off the electrode.  Gotta love hillybilly ingenuity... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

karl

Gentlemen:
You all have made my day! AGAIN!
I will be braving the elements to salvage a delco out in the back four today- Yahoo- an econonical repair- that's unusual ::)
Now if I (we) could McGuyver an engine rebuild.......
Thanks good folks.

Karl

jpgreen

One wire Delcos rule the universe.

Here's a good supplier...

http://stores.ebay.com/DB-Electrical-Starters-Alternators

............  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

karl

It is HEALED!

Pulled Delco alternator off ole Pettibone lanquishing in the boneyard- it fit the bracketry on the mill and the pulleys lined up, while we were doing the swap we degreased the engine, added an hourmeter that had been sitting on a shelf for months awaiting the perfect moment to be installed, cleaned  up the wiring,  put an extension on the carb anti diesel lever so's maybe I wont burn so many sleeves/arms on the exhaust when shutting down.

Good job done..... for a bunch less than $94.

Thanks for the boost.

karl

Thank You Sponsors!