iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No Damage to the House or Body

Started by submarinesailor, February 27, 2006, 05:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

Someone must have smiled on me this week end.  The boss started in on me about replacing the fence between us and the next door neighbors here in Manassas. :-X :-X :-X  So, to save me some money and a chance to run the sawmill, I talked her into letting me cut the lumber needed to replace the fence. ;D :D ;D :D  Originally she wanted the ugly pressure treated, nasty old green stuff put up.  You know the type – big box store type. :( :( :(  As it goes, I also needed to clear some blown over poplar trees from behind the house in Madison.

My buddy and I get to Madison early Saturday and start trying to figure out how to get these hung up trees on the ground without killing ourselves – hate working hung up trees. :( :( :(  I remember reading in an old logging book about hung up trees.  Their statement was leave them alone and move away. :o :o :o  Away!!! I needed them for the fencing boards.  Oh and one more thing, they were on the hill, 45 degree slope, right behind the house.  Power pole right there and the transmission line right above it – wires within reach of one of them if it went down wrong.  So the task was; to get them down and buck them into the proper length without them damaging us, having them knock down the house power pole or rolling down the hill INTO the house. :o :o :o

Well, my buddy is pretty good with a chair saw because we only had one problem.  The biggest one, 22" DBH, barber chaired as it twisted and rolled as it came loose for the root ball.  Lost a few good boards on that one.  That one really scared because we didn't think the root ball would fall back into it's hole.  Boy did it ever – with a thump!!!

With a lot of luck, we got all three 13'2' sections down of the hill, no damage to the house or power pole and no power lines on the ground. ;D ;D ;D  And the sawing went great.  Got about 415 bf of usable fencing lumber out of one nice tree and two smaller twisted ones.  Not too bad for blow downs.  Got them all end sealed, stickered and stacked.  Gonna let them dry for a couple three weeks to get most of the moisture out of them.  Put a coating of sealant on them and put em up.  First I gota take down the old one and put new PT posts in the ground. :( :( :(

Love it when things go haft way right.  Don't know what I would do if they went completely right.  BTW – Murphy lives in my back pocket, so it's a good day when we don't break something or damage one of ourselves. ::) ::) ::)

Bruce

Dan_Shade

those leaners can be some scary things.  I took one down once that scares the crap out of me thinking about it today....

in taking that one down, and they way I did it, it was probably the dumbest thing I've ever done.

I'm glad you made out ok, it pays to be safe :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Norm

You done good to let your wife talk you into using your own wood for a fence. My son lives in your area and was telling me he had a contractor come out and give him an estimate for 132' of wood fence, $9000! Gee I tell him if you didn't live so far away I'd cut you one out for $8950, he failed to see the humor.

I think the most dangerous tree short of a hung widowmaker is one that's been uprooted, glad you got done safely.

Coon

Glad to hear that you got everything done safely and most of all had the BOSS' ok on the project before you got started.  Seems awefully funny that you would even have to talk her away from box store lumber when you already got the mill waiting to go.  Funny she even thought about box store wood when it's so expensive.  They usually pinch every penny they can.  Don't ask me how I know this but the truth be known.  Don't forget the most important of all.  WE NEED PICS. :D :D
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!