iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Primary frame is up

Started by Raphael, February 26, 2006, 01:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raphael

8)   8)   8)   8)

After much delay; Including a measure once curse twice incident that sent me scrambling back to the log pile.  :-\   I've finally erected the last of the common rafters on our primary frame... 

It's Jack Sobon's classic hall and parlor design w/ slight modification.

I'm currently preparing the shed addition to be raised later this coming week and desparately trying to find the time to finish cutting the office, and sheath the upper roof before my stress skin company arrives.  Any volunteers gratefully welcome.  ;D

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

sprucebunny

Congratulations  8) That's a handsome frame.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Kelvin

Looks great!  THats my same design, but i added kneewalls on the 3rd floor level and got really tall.  How did you raise your bents?  Are you sawing them yourself?

TexasTimbers

Rafe - yooda man! Looks fantastic.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Raphael

Thank you for the compliments, however I can't take full credit for this portion of the frame.  I actually purchased the frame on eBay from another owner builder who had cut and erected it to the tie beam level before getting into a divorce.
  The frame was originally standing ~900 miles north of the US border in Manitoba and arrived here over 4 years ago.  The foundation went in late in the fall of 2004 and I spent the better part of summer rehabilitating and replacing timbers.
  The original frame was Spruce with Oak knee braces, my replacement timbers include Hickory, Red Oak, Maple, White Pine, Black Cherry and remilled salvaged spruce timbers.  Anything over 16' is a challenge to mill with my current setup so a good deal of my timbers are coming from a local sawmill.

My wife and I set the sills, and for the raising Howard (my excavator) provided a little mechanical assistance.

That's me at the near post which is a Maple replacement and makes the bent a bit unbalanced.  At the far post is Bryan a recent graduate of Heartwood's apprentice program who joined me after the Eastern Conference to help cut rafters and shed addition.
  Howard's son Greg is in the forground.  Greg is now hooked on the idea of cutting his own frame.

Howard got into the whole project and had an extension made for the high work.

... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Dana

If you don't mind telling, what did you pay for the frame? Nice job. :)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Raphael

I don't mind telling people what I paid... In fact I tend to brag about it a bit ;)

The frame (including the uncut timbers for the rafters etc.) plus shipping (including a side trip to Hardwick Mass.) came in just under $10,000.
  When I spoke to Jack Sobon about the design of the shed addition and office (shortly after Hardwick declined the job) he indicated that he wouldn't have supplied the frame for less than $25k.  So I figure it was worth about twice what I paid.  ;D
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

clif

Great job Raphael :)  i have three lots to put frames on and I have been looking real hard at an excavator: roads, footings, septics etc and then using around the mill.  I can only get one piece of equipment to start with and it looks like Howard is pretty handy? ???  How big is he?
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

Raphael

Howard runs about 6'1" 250lbs.   ;D

That commander head is an 8"+ solid chunk of Hickory...
I'd say Howard is handy to have around, good reach and lot's of power.

The Volvo EC140 is a great machine, good reach and lot's of power.  I'll have to ask Howard which carriage he's got under her.
  Volvo's always come plumbed for all accessories and at about the same price as a really basic Cat.  Operating weight is 13-15.5 tons, with the extension we had no problems delivering timbers 25' up and 20' out from the base of the machine (you'll break straps long before you tip this one).
  Used the EC140 is running $50-100,000.
Here's a link to a PDF of the EC140's specifications:

http://www.volvo.at/NR/rdonlyres/440B931A-E0C6-4A64-9A20-8813A6305083/0/EC140specEnglish.pdf

... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Thank You Sponsors!