iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

puter HELP!

Started by WH_Conley, February 26, 2006, 09:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

Would like to present a problem, probably so simple it's silly. I have just started using this machine instead of my old  for Quicken. Different machine different of quicken, other machine is so old they won't talk to each other. The problem, I do a backup from quicken, no problem, puts the files in the Windows temp CD folder, go through the prompts to write to CD and get a message that the disk is unwriteable, probably bad. Tried new disks, old disks, same thing. Can put anything else on the machine on the same disks, pictures, music or whatever. Where am I going wrong?
Bill

SwampDonkey

Is your drive a CDr burning drive, a combo DVDr/CDr/CD-RW burning drive, or just a DVDr drive? The little r meaning recordable. I'm also wondering if your trying to write to a UDF formatted rewriteable cd, but have not installed the UDF driver on your new machine. Your photos are probably being written on a CDR disk with the photo album software that may have been on the new machine. For UDF you need a ReWriteable CD (CD-RW), not a CDR.

Just wondering.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

I went to  "my computer" and to drive D, under properties it said CDR. Does this give any info? Cause I don't know a whole lot about it. Do I need something else?
Bill

SwampDonkey

So my next question is are you trying to drag and drop the files to be written or are you using CD writing software? I think if you are dragging and dropping files for writing to the CD, it either has to be a CD-RW disk or a DVD writeable disk. It is a different writing process for a CDR type disk, which will require a program like Nero Burning Rom or Easy CD Creator for example. What are you using for a CDR writing program, if any?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

Whatever Windows has in it, there is a list that comes up about windows media, roxio and itunes. Didn't really think itunes would be it. If I have to get something else anyway is there something better than a CD? I was reading an article the other day that said a CD was not a real good storage media. I'm kinda in the dark here. Thanks for the help.
Bill

Ianab

Sounds like you should be using the Roxio program, it's a CD writing program that probably came with the CD writer. When you run it up you should be able to choose to write a DATA CD, then go and select the files you want to write from your Temp directory, then press 'GO'. It should whir for a minute or so then spit out the CD, which should have your files copies to it.

Umm.. if that doesn't work then I'm not sure...  ???

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WH_Conley

I was just offline fr a few minutes doing just exactly what you said. No go. Don't know who to shoot, me or this machine, (got the crosshairs on the CPU).  ::)
Bill

SwampDonkey

Are you getting buffer over runs? or is it just not working? Sounds like an HP CD burner to me, I had to install the driver 10 times on NT for it to find the writer.  ::)

WH_Conley

It's not saying about buffer. Just says writing to disk and then says disk unusable, possibly damaged. Same disk will take pictures or songs. That's what I tried when disk wouldn't take the backup, just to see if disk was bad. My old machine had a tape backup, loved it, worked perfect for years. Sure wish it would work on this thing.
Bill

Danny_S

Is there enough room on the cd for all your files... I think most are 700 mb. Maybe that is the case.. jsut a shot in the dark...
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

WH_Conley

file size only about 12mb.
Bill

SwampDonkey

This just doesn't make sence to me. Your saying it can write an image and a song to a disk, but can't write something like a word document?? Are you using a fresh disk to write your files? Also, if you don't click on 'multisession disk' in your CD burning software it will only be able to write to it once (talking CDR's). Otherwise I think they can write up to 12 tracks per disk, so 12 sessions as long as you have free disk space. There might be something running in the background conflicting. Maybe a virus scanner? I'de suggest visiting the website of the CD ROM manufacturer and check out their support section.

Maybe even check out the forums at CDR labs.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/

Thank You Sponsors!