iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some more nice grain!

Started by KiwiCharlie, November 04, 2002, 09:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

Heres some photos of one of my favourite slabs.  About 5-6 ft long, it will make a great small table.
Its still rough sawn, but fairly smooth.  Wont take too much to finish off nicely.
The wood is native Totara, the colour has quite a reddish hue.  A light stain or oil would bring it out wonderfully.

A close up of some of the grain - majic!

Overall view of the slab

A close up of the knarly area about halfway along the slab, what character! :)

Cheers
Charlie
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

smwwoody

That would look great as a coffee table in the new cabin we are going to start in the spring
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

Now! that is my kind of log sawing.  Thanks for sharing. 8)
Frank Pender

RavioliKid

Gorgeous!

I feel like I could reach through the screen and touch the wood!

RavioliKid

Noble_Ma

Nice slab Charlie.  What type of woo would you characterize Totara in? Hard or soft?  Easy to work with?

Brian_Bailey

I'm envious!  Ya gotta love those big ugly logs. Look at the figure in that wood. Those pictures kinda make you wonder why veneer logs are so valuable.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Tom

We've turned ourselves into an artistically-questionable-society when "good" is interpreted as flawless.   Perhaps we can create a grade for "ugly" logs. Nah,  I sure wouldn't want to do that. We've got enough regimentation now that people don't think anymore. :D

Paschale

That's terrific wood!  You say it's about 5 or 6 ft long--that looks then to be about 3 ft wide at it's widest point.  Just out of curiosity, what kind of mill did you use to cut it?  
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

KiwiCharlie

G'day Noble_Ma,

Totara is a softer wood and very easy to work with.  A thick clear laquer would protect the surface, but I really dont like that type of finish.  I would rather just have a light oil finish and work any dints out with a wet tea-towel and a hot iron!  :)
Or I could just sand it down each year to remove dents, as at around 2" thick, it would take a few sandings over the years!! ;)
Cheers
Charlie.

KiwiCharlie

G'day Paschale,

This was one of around 10 slabs cut from a large Totara trunk.  It was closer to the edge, so had a lot of the knot patterns in it.  They were cut with an Alaskan chainsaw mill.
Labour intensive, but just look at the results you can get.
I dont mind hard work when this is the reward! :D
Cheers
Charlie.

Tillaway

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Weekend_Sawyer

Hay Kiwi,

Great looking wood. I ran a chansaw mill for a time. Labor intensive is exactly the word! I'm proud of the red oak I milled with it but I am also real glad to now run a bandsaw mill.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SawBilly

Thank You Sponsors!