iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl chain tension logic

Started by outdoortype, February 25, 2006, 02:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoortype

The owner's manual on the MS310 instructs "Always slacken off the chain after finishing work.  The chain contracts as it cools down.  If it is not slackened off, it can damage the crankshaft and bearings(p.39)."  Does anyone actually go back and loosen their chain after use?  I've never done this on my Huskys & Poulans but I'm new to Stihl.   It would be a huge pain to loosen & tighten your chain before & after each use.  Maybe I'm just misenterpreting the instructions.

beenthere

I never loosen mine, but I don't tighten it real tight when it is a bit warm either. Nor do I believe I run it dull so it builds up heat in the chain, so rarely have to adjust the tension other than sometimes a bit when I sharpen it.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

They don't want you to tighten a loose chain that's hot, just let it cool back down and check it.
I always back the chain off when storing the saw to remove tension from the shaft.

Alta

You only need to do this if, while cutting, the thing gets so hot that the chain stretches enough that you have to tighten it to keep working.  Under these conditions when it cools and shrinks it can damage the crank assembly.  Under normal conditions you shouldnt have to tighten the chain to keep cutting, but if you do, just loosen it back to where it was before  it cools - no big deal.  If when the thing cools you cant move the chain freely by hand its too tight. Ive only seen this at work (fire dept) with hard nose bars. Ive never had this situation occur while cuting firewood - ok maybe cutting some stumps - but typicaly its not a problem.  Just think about what the thing is doing and apply some common sense and you and your saw will be fine. As for Huskys and them others , no one works those things hard enough for it to matter so its not an issue with them...... :D :D :D :D :D

outdoortype

Thanks for the info.  I understood the pricipal of letting the bar & chain cool down before adjusting it.  I just didn't think that it could possibly contract enough to damage the crank & engine.   But I usually cut in the cooler season and I've never had a chain stretch that much.

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: outdoortype on March 04, 2006, 11:25:28 PM
  I just didn't think that it could possibly contract enough to damage the crank & engine. 

Wouldn't you hate to find out the hard way though?  Check your tension cool before you put it away, and you'll be fine.  Just use common sense.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Thank You Sponsors!