iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pics of my David Brown tractor

Started by loudsam, February 25, 2006, 04:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loudsam

My new, (1975), David Brown tractor.  And, down at the bottom is 7 cords of red oak I bought from a local guy.  I opened up what was just about the ugliest log in the bunch, moving it with my new tractor, naturally, and Man oh Man, that oak is Beautiful!!! 8)

P.S.  I'm about 6 ft tall, and the rear tires of my David Brown are higher than my shoulders.  It would fit in my garage, except for the smoke stack won't go through the door.  The tractor is 65 horse diesel and it's got pallet forks, and a nice draw bar for skidding logs.  Of course, I've probably got more logs than I can handle right now, cause the stuff's so beautiful, (the Oak), that we're going to take whatever time needed to cut it precisely like it should be sawn!  I love this new hobby!!!  Now, if I could just afford to retire early, I could pursue it 24x7!

TexasTimbers

That is a nice tractor! Too bad you are up in Wisconsin. I could put that little Davey to work skidding.  ;)
You probably know that if your tractor didn't come with the manual they are easy to get.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

loudsam

I ordered a Clymer publications manual, and it got here just as they were unloading the tractor.  Just in time too, cause the Township supervisor, (we still don't know where the town is here), came by and told me; "the township owns the right of way for 30 feet and I gotta move the logs", which I intended to do anyway, when the tractor arrived! ;D  Thanks for the compliments on my Davy Brown.  I love it, but, it is kind of hard starting!

highpockets

That's a good looking tractor. Ain't nothing like a frontend loader. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

loudsam

Yea, I picked up a 12 inch 8 foot oak last night with it and it didn't even grunt.  Hoping the loader holds up alright without having to do any welding on it.  The steel gave out in a couple of places before I owned it, and it's been welded.  They did a pretty good job, but, I'm going to reinforce it as time goes by.

shopteacher

loudsam: Years ago I had a Yanmar diesel tractor. Man that was one good tractor, did more than it was ever intended to do and never had a problem with it.  Still run excellent when I sold it to get a bigger machine. Anyway, it was the hardest thing to start in the winter and the oil light would stay on for quite a while after getting her going.  I put a bottle of slick fifty in her with one of the oil changes and the light would go off almost immediately and she'd start a lot quicker after that.  Don't know if it will help your situation but it can't hurt and it's only a few bucks to try it out.  I use a little in the woodmizer now and then when changing oil and hope it will save a few hours on her.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Minnesota_boy

I started using synthetic oil in my Woodmizer's engine a few years back.  Spins so much easier in the cold.  Now I put it in the wife's car too.  It starts at -40 with no engine heater.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

jpgreen

Nice beast doug..  8)

Wish I had a loader. What's that powdery stuff on the ground?..  :)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Minnesota_boy

You want some of that powdery white stuff?  I have an extra foot that I'd be happy to send your way!  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

jpgreen

We had 4 feet most the year last winter, but only a dusting this year.

Well maybe I better keep my mouth shut cause storms a comin' starting tomorrow for all week..  :o
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

wiam

Loudsam, we had a frost plug heater in ours.  Could usually plug it in for about an hour and it woud start right up with out the glowplug.

Will

Corley5

Good looking tractor 8) 8)  We'd be lost without a tractor frontend loader or two ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

loudsam

Thanks for the compliments on my tractor guys!  I know how to drive one NOW!  I moved that 7 cords off the side of the road where we landed it from the semi truck.  The loader works like a charm.  I tried to take it easy, (one log at a time), but often, I unintentionally picked up two, and about a half a dozen times I picked up 3 good size, 14 to 16 inches at a time.  The loader picked it up so easy, I didn't bother trying to lighten it up.  And, it would pick all three of them at least 8 or 9 feet.  It would have kept on going if I would have needed it to.  I feel so fortunate to have found that tractor.  I was going to buy a cheap new one.  The Lord was watching out for me AGAIN!

Shopteacher,  your so right about the slick50!  I've been using that stuff for years, and I was thinking today that I should put some in the tractor.  Alot of people call it "snake-oil", but, I know different!  Glad to hear someone else thinks so too! ;)

loggerson

Good going  Doug I could tell you was getting the hang at running the  front end loaders to day
talk to you later smiley_clapping

loudsam

Quote from: loggerson on February 25, 2006, 10:27:06 PM
Good going  Doug I could tell you was getting the hang at running the  front end loaders to day
talk to you later smiley_clapping

Yea Ed,  after moving about a cord of that stuff I was really getting the hang of it.  That loader will pick up 2000 pounds easy!  I didn't even put a log through the garage door.  Was kind of worried about that!  I'll probably see you tomorrow

Coon

That loader you have on your David Brown was built about 1 1/2 hours from me in Yorkton, Saskatchewan.  My stepfathers best friend, Leon Malinowski was the founder of the company.  His son has now taken over the business and is doing very well as a company.  The company name is Leon's Manufacturing Company Inc. which is a division of Maki Enterprises.  They are very well built loaders and equipment the manufacture.
www.leonsmfg.com
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Dana

Nice tractor! Is the bucket that is in front of the forks able to slip into the forks? Or was it just there because you were moving it with the forks? The tractor shoouldn't be hard to start, if you are plugging it in for 2 or 3 hours before use. Are you doing that? If so, the element may be burned out. You should be able to hear the coolant start to warm up when first pluged in. You can use an ohm meter to check for resistance on the heater cord.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

DoubleD

Congratulation on your new to you tractor. it is really nice to have a front end loader 8)
Wannabe a sawmiller

J_T

Knew a guy had a DB like the one you got  8) He got his new and they one tough tractor he never tore his up so they got to be good  8) He could knock the horn off an anvil with a rubber hammer  :D :D Be careful moving loads with the logs raised very high . In reverse with a big load and in a turn it can get hairey reel fast  :( :(
Jim Holloway

bberry

Nice tractor.Spent a lot of time on a DB in college days mowing fairways. A friend had a Case which owned DB or vice versa. The only trouble he had was clutch replacement. The Perkins diesel was iron clad. Sorry you were hassled by the local official over the logs. Here in Maine the town and state own a right of way 33 feet from the center of the road. The right of way conveys ONLY maintanance rights such as brush cutting and snow plowing. It did not look like you were blocking either. Usually here they leave us alone since the logs are there only temporary. I usually stand my ground and tell them it is a temporary situation and they back off. I had the state crew work on the local bridge last summer and they asked permission to park their trucks and equipment on the side of the road. Some local town officials get real hard nosed and need to have their head deflated. Around here if you are their relative there is no problem!Sometimes jealously has something to do with it.

loudsam

Quote from: Dana on February 26, 2006, 07:34:24 AM
Nice tractor! Is the bucket that is in front of the forks able to slip into the forks? Or was it just there because you were moving it with the forks? The tractor shoouldn't be hard to start, if you are plugging it in for 2 or 3 hours before use. Are you doing that? If so, the element may be burned out. You should be able to hear the coolant start to warm up when first pluged in. You can use an ohm meter to check for resistance on the heater cord.

Thanks for the info on the element.  I'm not sure it's working, although I've been plugging it in.  It's not terribly hard to start, just makes me wonder sometimes if it's going to.

The bucket and forks are only used seperately.  They are difficult, in a way, at least the first time, to exchange.

BTW, I don't hear ANYTHING when it's plugged in.  Heater's probably not working. 

loudsam

Quote from: bberry on February 26, 2006, 08:42:39 PM
Nice tractor.Spent a lot of time on a DB in college days mowing fairways. A friend had a Case which owned DB or vice versa. The only trouble he had was clutch replacement. The Perkins diesel was iron clad. Sorry you were hassled by the local official over the logs. Here in Maine the town and state own a right of way 33 feet from the center of the road. The right of way conveys ONLY maintanance rights such as brush cutting and snow plowing. It did not look like you were blocking either. Usually here they leave us alone since the logs are there only temporary. I usually stand my ground and tell them it is a temporary situation and they back off. I had the state crew work on the local bridge last summer and they asked permission to park their trucks and equipment on the side of the road. Some local town officials get real hard nosed and need to have their head deflated. Around here if you are their relative there is no problem!Sometimes jealously has something to do with it.

I was able to get the guy, (he's the town supervisor, or something.  I told my wife he's the "village idiot"), to simmer down.  He started off all pig-headed.  But, that's the first time I met him.  If he would have come back and said anymore, or he had not simmered down, he would have found out too much about me at one time.  He may be one of the kinds of guys who a little authority goes to their heads.  Or could be jealous.  I've got a nicer tractor than he does! 8)

TeaW

I have had several DB's in the past and they had CAV injection pumps. On the pump there was a Tee shaped valve that you turned in a turn or two for cold weather starts . Once it starts turn it back or it runs rough, this helps some but having some sort of coolant heater is best.Good luck with it.  T
TeaW

jtmccallum

I have a 1974 or 1975 1210 Case David Brown.  My dad bought it new.  It starts pretty good cold down to about 20*.  It has a heater in the intake manifold that heats when the key is held between the on and start position.  Mine doesn't have the CAV pump, I don't recall the pump it does have.  It also helps to hold the the throttle wide open while starting until it fires off.  Don't have a block heater yet.  What model of loader do you have.  I have a Model 70 loader on a Case 530 utility.  I would rather have a loader on the David Brown. 

John
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

loudsam

Quote from: jtmccallum on February 27, 2006, 08:14:42 PM
I have a 1974 or 1975 1210 Case David Brown.  My dad bought it new.  It starts pretty good cold down to about 20*.  It has a heater in the intake manifold that heats when the key is held between the on and start position.  Mine doesn't have the CAV pump, I don't recall the pump it does have.  It also helps to hold the the throttle wide open while starting until it fires off.  Don't have a block heater yet.  What model of loader do you have.  I have a Model 70 loader on a Case 530 utility.  I would rather have a loader on the David Brown. 

John

Hey John!  Glad to hear somebody else owns one of these things.  Mines a model 1212.  It's a Case loader.  The loader is actually awesome, in my opinion.  I couldn't believe how much it could lift, easily.  At one point I had about an 18 inch, 12, inch, and about a 15 inch, oak logs on it at the same time.  It handled them just as easily, (or so it seemed), as it does with just one log.  Keep me informed of things about your David Brown.  You do know they were built in England, don't you???

Doug 8)

Thank You Sponsors!