iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Check this thing out!

Started by FarmerGrant, February 21, 2006, 01:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmerGrant

The person who sent it to me says that it is used by the Swedish Military to cut ice?  Can anybody confirm this?  Anybody seen anything like this?

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rebocardo

Looks like a nice VW van in the background, I do not think we have that in the USA.

leweee

Just need a rubber tire mounted on that sprocket nose bar.....fire it up....drop it into working postion.....voila....

MY NEW RIDE TO WORK

it's been a long winter ::)....ahh maybe a seat too, just for safetys sake ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Woodwalker

Can't say that there any of them in Texas.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

wiam

Kinda neat, but why is the blade upside down?  Maybe you turn it over and use it from under the ice.

Will

Jeff

I dont think there is such a think as an upside down bar is there?

Where can I get one of thise things?  It would go great with my soviet saw!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I'll bet that handle and shaft turn the bar downward so that it contacts the ice.  I'll bet it's like a miniature snow storm around that thing when it is cutting.

wiam

I was joking because the writing on the bar was upside down.  I was at a local saw shop a few years ago and an older guy came in to pick up his saw.  He told the owner that the bar got put back on upside down.  The owner said we noticed that the bar was getting worn on one side so he had turned it.  He could not convince the guy that it was OK for the writing to be upside down. ::) ::)  He had to flip it back "right side up" before the guy would take it home.

I have cut ice with a chainsaw when looking for water with a a firetruck.  I learned that it is not good to stop cutting if you are not done.  If it is very cold the chain will freeze to the bar when you stop.

Will

Swede

QuoteJust need a rubber tire mounted on that sprocket nose bar.....fire it up....drop it into working postion.....voila....

Perhaps better than a fast winch for pulling logs out out of the woods.  ::)

I never did military service but if paited green I´m sure it´s from the army. Painted red it´s may be for the fire department.

leweee; Talking safety, ever head about seat belts?  ;D ;)

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Mike_Barcaskey

I cut ice all the time when beaver trapping, except this year, been quit warm. Would hate to lug that thing back 1/2 mile into a beaver swamp.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: wiam on February 24, 2006, 06:58:44 AM
I have cut ice with a chainsaw when looking for water with a a firetruck.  I learned that it is not good to stop cutting if you are not done.  If it is very cold the chain will freeze to the bar when you stop.

Will

Don't shut off the engine if you've cut all the way to water either.  The splashing water invairably ends up in the pull start and once you shut it off, you don't start it again until it's been warmed up to melt out the ice.  :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

leweee

Quote from: Swede on February 24, 2006, 07:46:30 AM
QuoteJust need a rubber tire mounted on that sprocket nose bar.....fire it up....drop it into working postion.....voila....

leweee; Talking safety, ever head about seat belts?  ;D ;)

Swede....I need some of those"Swedish ice racing studs"like they use on the ice racing motocycles.....just for a little added grip mounted on that rubber tire....just great for powering across frozen lakes 8).....no seat belts required on this ice machine. ;D :D ;)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SwampDonkey

I was wondering what the army was doing with the ice? Surely they heard we have refridgerators now. ;)

My grandfather used to cut and haul ice up until almost the 60's I think. Everyone had an icehouse that used sawdust to keep the ice from melting in the warmer months. Oh, and of course the ice house was for keeping food. Thought I better mention that before some wizenheimer piped in. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Joseph

Quote from: FarmerGrant on February 21, 2006, 01:33:07 AM
The person who sent it to me says that it is used by the Swedish Military to cut ice?  Can anybody confirm this?  Anybody seen anything like this?

FarmerGrant,

Post this on the ArboristSite.com Chainsaw Forum; there are a few people from Sweden that post their.

The URL is;

http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Any more photo's available?

Regards

Joseph
"Equipment Should Never be an Excuse for Poor Performance. If You are Going to be a Professional, You Get the Correct Equipment, then the Only Excuse is Your Ability to Perform." ★ ℠ © ® ™

FarmerGrant

That is the only picture I have.

After cutting ice with your saw, cut into a peice of wood, that'll help with the freezing.

I'll post it over there, thanks.

KGNC

I assume that is a lube tank on the far side of the bar. When cutting ice what do you use as a chain lube? Wouldn't oil really make a mess on the ice and in the pond below?

Sprucegum

I spotted that lube tank to, maybe they fill it with antifreeze?

I'd give ya a Looney(1 Canadian dollar) fer a ride on the river.   8)  8)  8)

leweee

Sprucegum...your ride is reserved :D....any other takers? :D

Thank You Sponsors!