iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roller Chain Sizing on Homebuilt...Cable?

Started by Trent, February 23, 2006, 10:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

I'm getting my rails in place today. The band saw "cutting head" assembly is done. I would consider using cable to pull it down the tracks, but am afraid I won't be able to pull with equal tension on both right and left sides. Assuming I go with the roller chain, I need help figuring out what size to use. The traveling assembly rolls on rails with vee grove wheels, and weighs about 700 lbs. Do I have to worry about the chain stretching? The Roller chain will be driven with a hydraulic motor. Thanks for your help, the forum has been great.
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

KGNC

Sounds like your only load will just be whats required to pull the saw through log. A pair of #35 roller chains should be fine. The next size up is a #40 and would work if you want something a little heavier. The chain might have a small amount of stretch but it should  be near equal on both sides.

highpockets

I went with 50 pitch and am happy with it.  Besides I had goobs of 50 pitch sprockets.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

wiam

I use #41 and feed from one side.  It is the same pitch as #40  but it is lighter chain.  I figured it did no need alot because I used to push it and I had almost enough #41.  #41 is also about $10 a box cheaper.

Will

KGNC

The #35 and #41 chain are rated for about the same loads. Both have a tensile strength of about  2,500 lbs. The # 40 is at 4,200 lbs.
Any of these would work for your application. You need to make sure you have some method of limiting the torque on your HYdraulic motor.

Dangerous_Dan

I used a single strand of 35 chain on my homemade chainsaw mill to pull the carrage.
My new swingmill I used 40 chain to suspend the carrage. 1/2 inch pitch made the setworks/gearbox math easy.
I just got a big pile of 40 chain at the scrapyard. I think I have some sprockets with friction type torque limiters too.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

flip

#40-The sprockets seem easier to come buy in my area. 

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Thank You Sponsors!