iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

band blade setter

Started by jimmy, February 22, 2006, 08:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy

I am looking at buying a setter just wondering what are some good ones? I thinking of getting the cooks cat claw or the dina saw setter.

Cedarman

I have used the WM setter and the Dino setter.  The Dino is faster, but I never got comfortable not knowing the set of each tooth which you can do with the WM setter.  Have never used any others.  I would love to hear others feelings about the Dino setter.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom

I use Woodmizer's. The main reason I like it is the gauge.  Some speed comes with experience.

jpgreen

Suffolk I bought:

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/dual_tooth_setter.asp

Why?  Cause it is accurate and the fastest.  And- I've talked with a few sawyers that have 20-30 years milling experience and they love that machine.  I think it's (setting) the most time consuming and important task a guy needs to do sharpening his own blades.

Expensive yes.  Well worth the money for a once in a lifetime purchase.

Oh God, I sound like they paid me for that plug..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Cedarman

I have an idea.  And I haven't thought it through that much.  Most of us are used to just one setter, the one we own.  We have seen demonstrations of other setters, but I have never watched anyone else set their blades. Now the idea.  Would owners want to volunteer to take their setter to the piggie roast.  If we could get one of each kind, it might be fun to check out someone else setting blades. 

Just an idea now folks, just an idea.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom

If you're waiting on me, you're backing up.  :D :D

beenthere

Tom gave a great 'setter' demonstration at the piggie roast of '05.  It's a classic, to watch Tom 'set'.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pigman

I think you all should to bring some sharpeners to the piggy roast  too. 8)  I will bring the dull blades. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

dail_h

I bet there ain't hardly nobody can outset me
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Tom

Dont bet on it.  I been settin' here all day and didn't get up but once just a few minutes ago.  :D

beenthere

Speed? or accuracy? or precision? or longest time without getting up?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

I gott'em all Been there.   I got in this chair before the wife went to work, haven't fell out yet.  ;D

dail_h

Looks like the onlyest way outta this is gonna be a settin contest . Am I officialy being challenged,or we neegosheatin?
      Volume Discount At ER

dail_h

Oh oh ,we off topic ,can't imagin how that happened,anyway ,only ever used a Woodmizer setter,and my Norwood setter,don't seem to be no great amount of difference inum
      Volume Discount At ER

Jeff

dail_h, do you have a way to post a photo of your Norwood setter?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dail_h

I can get Jennie's camera tommorow,and try to get one on
      Volume Discount At ER

gmmills

I have a Woodmizer setter. The Cook's Cat Claw setter is very similar in design to a Woodmizer. Totally agree with Tom on speed comes with experience.

Cook's has just come out with a new setter and new sharpener. The setter is a dual tooth design, similar to Suffolk's, with two dial indicators to allow you to read the set of each tooth while operating the setter. The sharpener uses an oil cooled CBN wheel. Consistently sharpens the entire tooth profile and no grinding wheel dressing. 8) 8) 8)  I added these two new toys to my wish list.  

Pig Roast along with a Blade Maintenance Seminar. Sounds great to me. 8) 8) 8)
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

dail_h

Jeff,
Here are the photos of my setter.
Sorry it took so long to put them up here, but Jennie and I had scheduling issues!  :D ;D

Volume Discount At ER

Jay-Roll

I work in a saw sharpening/repair shop and we have the Suffolk.  Got it used when we bought a couple bandsaw grinders.  After seeing and trying out several other brands, in my opinion it's the best.  Setting both teeth at the same time is convenient and the speed is much better especially over doing one side at a time vs other brands.  The only draw back is the lack of a gauge.  We have a handheld one, and although it's kinda a pain to use until you get used to it, no problem once you've got a handle on it, takes no time at all to check the set.

jerry-m

Hey Jay-Roll,

Welcome to the forum...  I also have a Suffolk setter that came with a recent mill purchase...  I haven't got a chance to use it yet as the mill has a few issues that need addressing... I was wondering about the absence of a gauge, so you have helped me out already, Thanks...   I am new to bandmill sawing having only a foly circle mill for the past few years..

I am sure I will have a bunch of questions for you as I learn a new way of sawing and sharping...

Jerry
Jerry

jpgreen

-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

VA-Sawyer

I run a Wood-Mizer setter with a few mods. I can tell you from experience that it is important to be able to verify the set, or in the case of the raker, the non-set of every tooth. This isn't as big of a factor when the blade is dull from normal wear as it is when you hit metal or "catch" a rock stuck in the bark.  A tooth that has been distorted by hard impact needs a lot of careful attention to get it back in proper position.  I have also found that on the WM Doublehards, there are occasionaly teeth that are harder or softer than the rest. If I try to set a blade using a constant "push" on every tooth, I end up with a few teeth that are either over or under set.  If they aren't all the same, it will show up on the surface of the cut. 
I guess it is a question of how precise you want to be and the results you expect from your blade. I cut a fair amount of Oak and there has been a lot of research done concerning the sawteeth tearing the surface fibers and contributing to surface checks. In one of the studies, they have reduced checking by as much as 80% by planing the surface of the boards as they come off the mill. I seem to be getting pretty good results by being very careful while setting blades so as to get the smoothest surface I can.  This is still in the research stage for me, so I can't say for sure it is worth the extra time yet. One thing I can say for sure, the customers are quite impressed when a board comes off the mill with a surface so smooth that it almost looks like it has been through a planer. 
VA-Sawyer

Jay-Roll

Quote from: jpgreen on March 24, 2006, 10:29:51 AM
No Gage?... Mine came with a gage.

Here it is:  ........ :)

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/images/endviewwithsetgaugeLARGE.jpg

Yes ours came with that exact same gauge, but it wasn't attached anymore.  Also it still only allows you to check the set on one side at a time.  So to have it removed does make it a little easier checking to make sure your setting both teeth the same.  It's just kinda inconvenient in my opinion.

Thank You Sponsors!