iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bark Beatles, Ambrosia Beatles, FYI .....

Started by TexasTimbers, February 21, 2006, 03:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I finally have a definative answer regarding the bug issue and building with green loblolly pine.
I just got off the phone with a "Tree PhD." at the Texas Forest Service. Anyone wants his name and # I'll give it to you but I don't know if it's proper ettiquite to print it without permission. I doubt it. Anyway,  I told him what my intentions were regarding using the green loblolly I've been cutting and will continue to cut over the next month or so and here's what he said:
I don't have to worry about the Bark beatles or the Ambrosia beetles once I knock the slabs off the logs because they have to have the bark. First time I'd heard that. I figured once they were in the wood, bark or no bark they were there to stay but according to him no.... they need the bark to enter and once I turn the logs into timbers and stack them they will not remain as long as I keep them dry.
I then asked if there were any other bugs I needed to worry about, apart from termites, and he said Powder Post beatles but he doubted I'd have anyproblems inless I already have them at my place or their is evidence of them where I'm harvesting. I asked if there was anything I could do ten years down the road if I encountered them and he said yes. Fumugation.
If anyone has anything to add I'm all ears, but this sure was music to my ears as I've had big concerns about using this pine because it has had the bark beatles infestation for several years. Regardless of what he said I'm not going to take any trees that have lots of holes in the bark. MAny don't show any signs at all although they probably do have some hidden in their out of view.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Texas Ranger

I assume you talked to "Dr. Ron", he is a bit more than you might anticipate, he is an internationally known Entomologist, travels most of north and south American, and is one of the leading experts on pine beetles in the US, if not the number one man.

Has been with the TFS for at least 35 years.  Good man.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

TexasTimbers

Yes he's the man Dr. Ron B. I didn't know until your post how high up the chain of intellect I'd landed but I could tell I was speaking with someone who spoke with authority.  8)

It's a great feeling to be able to tap into those tax dollars and get answers by simply picking up the phone. Now they may have to put a phone block on my number as I'll be calling everytime I want to know something ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!