iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying beams?

Started by isassi, February 21, 2006, 07:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isassi

I have read a lot about kilns and drying, and how difficult it is to dry 8/4 and above. In building a house for a customer, he wants rough sawn beams, 8X12, 20 ft long oak and I am wondering how to go about curing or drying it and how long to air dry if that is feasable before we use them. The house is only in the talk stage, so it may be a year or more before we actually build.  Any thoughts short of a vacuum kiln? If I build a solar kiln, and if I build it long enough, is it not feasable to dry beams? If they are air dried, should they be supported like every few feet, and weighted down? Thoughts? Thanks guys   :)

eagles nest

i have simlar ideas but iam not to concerened with drying as they have been used for hunders of years before kilns were around
i would be conerened about the pouder post bettels in the beams

so can you heat the beams to kill bettels with out wrecking the beams
how long & what temp ass beems probly any where from 6x6 to 10x10

sorry to jump in on you thread but i was thinking allong these lines too

isassi

Good point, I was not even thinking about borers and insects. I too, have given thought to several weeks of air drying, and let nature take its course. I think if the beams are sawn correctly with regard to grain and using good, straight logs, maybe they will not warp or twist too bad. I am not planning on using them as structural members. Kevjay? Thoughts???

sawguyver

Ive put some in that were sawn for about a year. They checked or cracked quite a bit. But I have to say, they still looked good.
Maybe just prepare your customer for a different look. :-\

Dana

Joasis, I would think if you post this in the timberframing section you will get some good, quick answers.  :)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

jimF

sawguyver,  The cracks you now see could have been created very shortly after it was sawn,  closed up and now reopen up by putting them in the kiln.  In other words there is a good chance that the act of putting them in the kiln did not cause the cracks.

TexasTimbers

Jay, did you see my post in the Timber Framing board? This is it. and it is good news as far as I am concerned.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!