iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

At Long Last

Started by Ernie, February 19, 2006, 02:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

Boy I sure knew I was absent for quite a while when I found 32 pages of unread posts since my last visit.

Our bridge finally gave up and took the phone line with it :'( so I have been out of touch with most things for the past quite a few weeks.  As an aside, after the first couple of weeks without a phone, we don't get cell coverage except at the top of the farm and I haven't got a cell phone anyway, I really didn't miss it except for internet and youse guys (and gals of course).

Our only access was when the river was really low across this. it sure cut down on the visitors.

It took a while to get the new one done, the worst part was not being able to use our own timber for the decking as we couldn't get it to the treatment plant and had to buy :-[ :-[ :-[ it from the big guys.

Here are a few pics of the big adventure..

There are a few more in my gallery under "bridge stuff"

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) It sure is great to be back 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

isawlogs

Hey , nice to hear from you Ernie, was wondering where you where at . Really good looking bridge   8) , But the big question is  ... How did the old one go down what circonstance brought it down ...  ???
Hope nobody was on it .  :o
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Patty

ERNIE!  Good to see you again! I have been wondering whatever became of you.... Glad to see that your health is OK (that was my main worry) A bridge can be rebuilt, but sometimes a heart cannot. Glad to have you here again.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Ernie

Quote from: isawlogs on February 19, 2006, 02:39:55 PM
Hey , nice to hear from you Ernie, was wondering where you where at . Really good looking bridge   8) , But the big question is  ... How did the old one go down what circonstance brought it down ...  ???
Hope nobody was on it .  :o

One too many floods took it out, I guess it didn't have as much life left in it as I thought.  No one was on it, it was 1.5 meters under water, the new one is higher but a lot thicker in section so we will see if the next flood puts too much lateral pressur on it :D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ernie

Thanks for the concern Patty, I've had 4 heart attacks and had the ol ticker fixed a few years ago so no worries there.

submarinesailor

Ernie,

Good to see things are going better.  This is one that I can truly sympathize with you on.  Every time a Hurricane runs along the east side of the Blue Ridge Mountains here in Virginia, we lose access to our place "in the county" as my wife said – I call it home.  One of these days, I plan on building am old style covered bridge on the river so we have better access – I will be looking for lots of help when the time comes; hint, hint and a BIG hint. ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

Minnesota_boy

There's a real nice timber frame covered bridge in Golden, BC that you could model yours after.  I walked it (it's a pedestrian bridge) first, then saw the write-up that was in Woodmizer Way magazine when I got home.  A quick search here or on Woodmizer's site should give you some info on the Golden bridge.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

submarinesailor

Minnesota boy,

The design of the Golden Bridge is called a "Burr Arch".  I have down loaded just about all the info on the web take I can find. Been working on the plans, off and on for a while.  My biggest problems will be the permits: Corps of Engineers and county planning/codes guy.   Two good things; (1) I have 76.5 acres of hard wood and a saw mill.  (2) I'm a member of the Timer Framers Guild, they built the Golden Bridge.  Several of the more senior members have offered to assist when the time comes.   When the time comes, I will be looking for all kinds of people like me to assist – strong back and a weak mind. ;) ;) ;)

Ernie - sorry - kinda borrowed your post.

Bruce

sprucebunny

Glad to see you back, Ernie. I wondered what happened to you, too.

Nice looking bridge ;D I'm glad everything is sorted now.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

Good to see you back as well Ernie!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Part_Timer

Ernie

Glad to hear from ya again. 

But tell the truth.  Just for a moment did ya think that maybe you should put the phone back up but maybe not the bridge. :D :D

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Dana

I had also wondered where you had gone and hoped you weren't sick.  Glad it was just a bridge in that respect.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!