iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green tea for joint pain...

Started by Bibbyman, February 18, 2006, 12:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I've never been what you'd call limber, even as a child.  When I was a young adult I had limited motion and starting to feel a lot of pain in my joints.  Arthritis?  I don't know.

Now that's I'm older,  it's sure not got any better.  It's not only uncomfortable but it's even hard to sleep at night for the aches and pains. 

With advice from my doctor,  I've started taking Ibuprofen – sometimes as many as 8 500mg tables a day.   

But lately I've been drinking some hot green tea.  I think it's been working as good or better than the Ibuprofen. 

Mary had someone tell her that this works for joint pain. Has anyone else tried it?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

It works pretty good if you put some corn likker in it.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Tom on February 18, 2006, 12:12:46 PM
It works pretty good if you put some corn likker in it.

I put some honney in it. 

It works but I don't really like drinking tea - especally in the winter.
Sawing since '94

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D At least until the hangover sets in. The hot tea is a great relaxant.
I would be concerned about that much ibuprofen. I have 400mg tablets and never take more than three per day. Don't want to get hooked on it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

Bibby!    Honey and Corn Likker ain't the same thing.  A sugar high isn't near as anesthesizing as being passed out on the floor.  :D :D

beenthere

Bibby
I've found great relief from taking over the counter glucosamine sulfate (1000 mg), but am not prescribing medicine for anyone else.  :)

I take very little of it, and not near the dose (two a day) that is suggested for an adult. But it sure seems to 'grease up' the joints for me.  I started it when my son said his dogs' vet suggested it for his laborador when it showed signs of hip joint stiffness. I also had heard others talk of taking glucose for arthritic joints. So I gave it a try and was impressed with the results.

I'm not into tea - yet.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

> Mary had someone tell her that this works for joint pain.

I drink green tea sometimes, it does nothing for the joints as far as I can tell.

What is good for joints is fish (cod liver) oil, doctors recommend it. We use to get it in jell capsule form, it goes down easier.

Tom

we used to get a couple of tablespoons of cod liver oil when Grandmomma figgured we needed cleaning out.  :-\

Bibbyman

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 18, 2006, 12:23:20 PM
:D :D :D :D At least until the hangover sets in. The hot tea is a great relaxant.
I would be concerned about that much ibuprofen. I have 400mg tablets and never take more than three per day. Don't want to get hooked on it.

I was a bit shocked too as it's more than the lable says - I think.. I questioned the doctor on this point and he still insisted that 8/day was ok - if that's what it took to releave the pain.  I try not to take any if I can stand not to.
Sawing since '94

sawguy21

Tom, my mom got on that kick for a while too. We kept wondering what we were being punished for. :(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

sawguy21
Mom's didn't need to 'know' as usually they could just 'assume' and banked on the odds of being right.  I thought she just had a sixth sense or ESP at the time, and somehow, she just knew.

The fish oil is recommended now to bring down the 'bad' cholesterol or tryglicerides or something like that. Niacin is another 'remedy' which gives me the hives real bad.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crtreedude

I have heard about green tea. I have always heard that pineapple is very good for joint pain. Warm weather helps a lot too.

I have circulation problems when it is cold. My solution was take two aspirins and move to the tropics.

Good pineapple here too - and I am pretty much pain free.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

I injured my knee on a mountain in BC. I twisted it behind me in such a manner that it would dislocate something and my knee swelled. After that I did it several times simply by bending it while climbing over a log or even stubbing my toe. I took some glucosamine and condroitin tablets for several months and kept active and the problem went away after a few months. I too this day don't know if it was the actual joint or ligament or whatever. The doctors said there was nothing wrong and wouldn't even scope it. So I was on my own. Here is a website about the supplement. Beware that it's been reported that some of these labeled suppliments don't even contain what's labeled.  ::)

http://www.consumerlab.com/results/gluco.asp
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

I've been drinking a cup of green tea the last few days and my pain has been quite a bit less.

I didn't read the box until yesterday but it says green tea contains antioxidants and is naturally low in caffein - containing ony 4% of what a cup of regular coffee does.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

Two days to a cup, won't be much of an addict at that rate.  :)  Hope it keeps working for you.
south central Wisconsin

crtreedude

Bibbyman,

I was all for the green tea until you said it had less caffiene. Almost had me there.

And I probably can't find it here anyway.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

Ok, I'll send ya some King Kole, has more caffeine than coffee.  :D My mother got a brain fart and sent some to friends in the west, and the postage was more than the tea was worth. She said their tea wasn't any good, too weak. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill

Lots of ideas for relief. Seems the "cures" work for some but not others - cause we're all a little different I suppose. I 've heard good stuff about green tea but more about the antioxidants than pain relief.

I have heard good stuff about cod liver oil - one younger friend of a friend came down with premature arthritis and her doc suggested cod liver oil . DanG if she doesn't swear by it nowadays. I hear it works because its one of those omega 3 fats ( liquid at room temperature ) that comes from cold water fish. Some others are salmon, mackerel and sardines. I've read about people that find relief with salmon but not so much the others.

Also heard good things about glucosamine/chondroitin. An older friend ( about 80 at the time ) was told by his doc to try it. It cut his painful morning crawl out of bed from 30 min down to about 5. Helped but not a cure. He ended up getting two new knees. That was a cure - now he ( 84 ) plays pickleball as well as the 70 year olds - maybe even the 65's. Not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth when I blew out a knee ( overexertion - I 'm going for the over 55 bicycling thing ) I tried the stuff. Took eight weeks - like the bottle said and besides SwampDonkey I too heard some mfg's don't put in what they say so I stick to a known brand . I've been using it on and off for four years now as needed and I think it works for me. I blow out ( overdo it on one or the other knee, elbow, whatever ) and it seems that the glucosamine/chondroitin brings it back.

Now I'm not a doctor and I couldn't even swear its not a placebo effect or just my body recovering but it sure seems like the stuff works for me.  Just another $.02

Good Luck

Note - I'm not sure whether I can say this but I like the Jean Carper books - she's not trying to sell you something so she just tells you what works for some people - helps me think she's just calling it like it is.

Bibbyman

Has anyone tried the green tea thing?

Since it's warmed up some,  we've been drinking cold green tea while working at the sawmill. 

We have made it from tea bags and added some honey while it was still warm. But we more often make it from cans of Arizona brand green tea with ginseng sweetened with honey that comes in a 20 oz can.  We find it too sweet as it comes from the can but we mix it 1/2 can to a 64 oz fruit juice container – filling the remainder with tap water.  It gives a little refreshing taste to the water.  On a hot long day we'll go through two of these 64 oz containers but on a normal day only about one.

I've started mixing up a pitcher of green tea to keep in the fridge in the house as well.  I don't know when I've drank a carbonated soft drink last.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Yeah, I tried the green tea.  Gael is drinking it.  I saw some in the refrigerator and  figured it was just some weak tea.   I was thirsty, so I poured a glass. 

YECHH_H_H!!

I'de rather drink the water off of a scalded chicken.

I've been told "if it's good to eat, it's bad for you".  This stuff must be akin to the Fountain of Youth.

SwampDonkey

.....well back from the wicked Windows blue screen. Musta been the external CDROM that I turned on after booting.  ::)

Anyway, I'm with Tom on the subject of green tea. I have an opened box given to me 4 months ago by mother and I had maybe 3 steeps. Probably stuff she didn't like either. :D :D :D I like orange peko much better.

I can't even take coffee any more, my guts go in knots for 2 or 3 days.  ::) Man I still can't fathom people driving 15 miles just to get a Tim Horton coffee. They'd be closing every door from lack of business if there where more like minded folks likes myself. :D :D And that's not because I have anything against those people, but I just wouldn't go out of my way to buy their coffee. In fact I'm working in an area now that allows me to drive by the place, and that's what I do. ;) :D

Kevin

I like green tea although I've never had the water off of a scalded chicken.
If you don't have a chicken could you substitute with a robin?  ;D

Tom

I 'spec that a Robin with enough feathers might flavor a cup, kevin.  But, in season, they are plentiful and two would insure a thoroughly putrid concoction.  :D

DanG

We make a pitcher of sweet tea from green tea every now and then.  I kinda like the stuff.  Why, just the other day, I set down to enjoy a big ol' glass of it, and was thinkin', "I bet ol' Tom would like this."  I was even gonna try to remember to have some ready the next time he come's over. ::)  I'll have to make another plan.

Hey, Tom, you take cream and sugar, or do you drink yer chicken water straight?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ohsoloco

A few years ago when I was still in college I was taking a night class, and a couple times I was getting sick to my stomach after I arrived in class.  I realized that I was drinking a cup of green tea on my drive to the university, and my sickness went away when I gave up the tea.  I'm afraid to try it anymore  :-\

Thank You Sponsors!