iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OK Guys, now help me with ripping!

Started by cnl390, February 17, 2006, 12:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnl390

I have a few cedar trees that I would like to rip in two or at least rip a flat side to them so I can make a crude bench.  They are about 12 - 14 inches diameter.

I have a Husky 353 with a 20" & (do to suggestions from this forum) 16" bar.

My questions are:

Is it wise for a novice to try ripping?
If so, what is the safest method to use?
Is there anything to watch out for?

I know I ask a lot of questions but I am starting to like working with my saw & youi all seem to have the best answers and advice.

sawguy21

That 353 is going to be way underpowered for ripping so it will be a slow process. The Oregon maintenance guide, which is on their site, shows how to file a ripping chain as it is not available in .325 pitch.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

cnl390

If my saw is underpowered then I won't even give it a second thought.

My brother has a Husky Rancher but that is probably underpowered too.

Thanks

rebocardo

> Is it wise for a novice to try ripping?

Yes

> If so, what is the safest method to use?

Wear all your PPE.

Stand the log up on end, I am assuming 6 feet for benches and split it with the saw hor. without burying the nose. The most important things is not to bury the nose when using ripping chain. It can give quite the kickback.

Draw a line to follow up and down. Do not stand on a ladder (or chairs) to start the top cut. Stand on something steady like a truck or trailer bed. Cut to the side without your head being in direct alignment with the kerf.

Don't think about flipping the log and expecting to met in the middle. Once you are 1/2 way through, tie the log together at the top so it does not split and so it does not fall, just not tight enough to close the kerf.

> Is there anything to watch out for?

Burying the top part of the bar nose. If you stand the log up, it is much easier to avoid then trying it while leaning over the log.

I have ripped wood with my Poulan Wildthing using safety chain. I am sure your Husky with ripping chain will do fine for a few pieces. It will be slow and full of vibration, but, for a few pieces I think you will be fine  8)

Kevin

The safest way to chain saw mill a log is with both feet on the ground, the log laying down and secured also with the saw bar clamped into a chain saw mill designed for that purpose.
PPE using a chain saw is a must, I wouldn't start a saw without it.

low_48

I don't think you will have any problems ripping cedar with that saw. I've ripped aromatic cedar with my Stihl 029, 20" bar,  with a Haden Lumbermaker attachment. I used my regular chains and was really happy with the results. On smaller logs like yours, you can angle the saw to around 45 degrees and can get the long curls instead of sawdust. If you run the saw at 90 degrees to the log, you will get sawdust and very slow cuts. The Haden lets you swivel the saw, or lock it at any angle. If the cut is too tough, lock the saw so you will take two passes for the rip instead of one. All I do is screw a 2x4 to the log with wedges under the 2x4 to level it up. Take the bark off one edge, then screwing to the new flat face makes it very easy.
I have also cut some 3" x 30" soft maple slabs with a rip chain on my big Husky with the same attachment. At less than $75 it works great for a couple cuts a month.
I don't think any experience is necessary, just be careful and enjoy making your own boards on the cheap!!!!

DonE911

You could rip that stuff with your little saw... it will take a while and really tax your saw.

you may not want to risk it if this is your only saw.  You could do it if you wanted to. 

I don't know what the market for cedar log benches is in your location, but they bring big money here.  You could make some nice log benches and the sale of the benches could buy you a big saw for milling.

Warning..... if you mill those logs, you'll be hooked on it forever and bigger saw will follow... then lots of ripping chain ...  then a bench mounted chain grinder...  then  another big saw and more chain.... you will develope a nervous head turning tick, because you will snap your head around to look at every log that is laying in a yard or on the side of the road   8) 8) 8)  you see what I mean. ;)

Everything that has been said about safety gear is important.... 

Thank You Sponsors!