iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FROZEN LOGS

Started by smwwoody, October 31, 2002, 04:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

Ok guys please help me out here

this has probably allready come up here.
this is my first winter with a Band mill anyone have some good tips for sawing frozen logs?

Thanks
Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Jeff

Sell the bandmill buy a circle milll and I'll be glad to help. ;D

Sorry I can't help. Circle mills can be a real treat to make saw in the winter at times. My best advise is get a better computer chair and stay by the forum til spring. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I don't have that problem here in Florida.  :D

Rule of thumb in Hard wood and frozen logs:  less set, less rake, shorter tooth, anti-freeze in the blade lubricant.

Some talk about a frost groove cut in the gullet.

This info was gained from my snooping on the Web. :D  Do you need to know anything about suntanning oil?  I've spent some time on the beach. ;D

Kevin

Wear long undies.
I prefer to fell, buck and skid during the Winter months and mill in the Spring.

woodman

Wood Mizer sells a blade for frozen wood  and hard wood.
Jim Cripanuk

Fla._Deadheader

Ship 'em down here and i'll thaw them suckers out fer ya !!!

I was jest readin, on the "other " forum, about Stellite blades. Used 'em in Guyana for sawin Some very hard logs. I THINK they were from-------------- BRRAAAAPPP,  brain fart--let me get back to you on that.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

smwwoody

Fla_Deadheader

My wife said if the logs go to Fla for the winter so do we
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Fla._Deadheader

Ok, here's the info. There ain't no info. Guys were talking about a large mill, I think. Other guy said the blades are too expensive and won't last on WM's smaller wheels.

They are stellite tipped and don't require setting?? Sounds like big blade stuff?? Sorry,  Harold
   First, it is ridiculed;

Brian_Bailey

There is a small circle mill not too far from me.  They have their mill indoors and it is powered by electric.  The bldg. is heated to maybe 50 degrees.  They deck the logs inside and let them thaw out.

Several years ago, I stopped at their place during a January snow storm and was surprized to see them sawing nice clean unfrozen red oak logs. I was envious, as I had another 3 months before my mill could start sawing again. I don't saw in the winter.

I would talk the wife into letting you build a heated bldg. rather than spending money to go to Fl. I've heard stories of how northern folks go to Fl. in the winter for a week or two and come back changed.  The next thing they do is sell their place and move south, not to be seen again until summer. It happened to my mother and brother.  So be careful :).
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

GarryW

I don't do anything special when I'm cutting in the winter except use a lot less blade lubricant. I haven't had that much of a problem with keeping the blade clean. And I use the standard WM blades, so far I haven't see a real need to get yet another box of blades with the different set. From what I have heard though, it makes a difference on what you are cutting. I usually cut white pine, maple, ash, and red oak.

One I do try to do is to cut in a sunny location, and keep the sawdust piled cleared out. I have had the logs freeze to the ground. And I've had to chip off the ice and snow. And of course, you have to be careful not to slip. But then there are no bugs.  :D

garry
Garry

Ron Wenrich

I run a circle mill, so I don't know how much transferable technology I have.  I don't really have much of a problem with frozen logs.  I just use narrower teeth, and take off a little set.  I also make sure I have good shanks that help prevent spillage of sawdust.  I can saw frozen just as well as thawed wood.

Where the problem comes is where you have part frozen and part thawed wood.  You are sawing 2 different types of wood, often in the same cut.

Usually, frozen sawdust will stick to the thawed wood on the log side.  That will push your blade out of the cut, and it will heat up your blade.  If you slow down your feed, sometimes that can offset it, but you still end up with a tapered board.

I've found that it can be cost effective to wait until the logs are completely frozen.  I've also found it to be cost effective not to run when it is real cold.  The steel gets brittle and your downtime is a lot more, due to breakage.

How that translates to band mills is beyond me.  You might want to stop by one of those large bandmills in your area and see what they do during the freeze.  Talk to their millwright or sawsmith.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Noble_Ma

I've read where people use a windshield washer and water mix during the colder months.  Has anyone ever tried it?  I have a few red pines to cut up this weekend and it's been cold  enough for them to be partially frozen.

ADfields

Yes  Noble_Ma windshield washer blue stuff with no water is all I have ever knon people to use hear in Alaska in the long winter.   In the summer it's Simple Green thay use and the wood gets a nice smell from it.   The onley trouble I have herd of in cuting frozen logs with a bandmill is frozen tows. >:(
Andy

smwwoody

Well I set some bands at .013 per side today and slowed my feed down and they worked quite well in about 15" frozen  white oak and hickory today. 8) when I finished that load of ties I started sawing 6X6's for the new building it will be 48' X 50' with heat that includes a 22' log deck inside the heated part.  then we will have a 24' X 60' un heated part with no walls for the lumber.  it will leave the mill shed on rolls and be stacked under this roof.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Fla._Deadheader

Ya'll are welcome to come to Fl, anytime. Ought to have lots of "thawed" logs real soon. We can play with my "sperimental" mill.  Should have it partially runable by Monday. Waiting for some hydraulic cylinders and valves. Harold
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Deadheader:
PICTURES PLEASE

Ron is right on the half frozen stuff. I actually have more peripheral problems the saw problems when wood is frozen such as sawdust freezing to the carriage wheels and track cleaners, building up and freezing in the small pulleys that my laser cables run on and jumping cables and crap like that. Mid winter sawing is not bad as long as temps stay contant. I would rather have it in the 20s everyday and the teens at night then days in the 30s where the logs partialy thaw. If the sawdust is froze then is dont stick to stuff. If it thaws from friction of sawing or thawing temps it creates problems with whatever it freezes to.

Ron Wenrich

Has it really been that cold to freeze logs?  I don't get frozen wood until there is a substantial cold snap.  That would include most days below freezing for about a week.

You should have only lost your leaves a week or two ago.  Of course, they could have froze off instead of dropping off.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Fla._Deadheader

NOPE !!!  Too early fer pitchers. It's only half painted and looks rough the way it is. :o :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Ron, no our logs are far from froze yet. Thier not even cooled down. I was talking in general. When we have a lot of logs decked and the piles are 15 to 20 feet tall and the rows are side by side, it takes a pretty good cold spell to freez them other then the logs on the outside of the piles. This year we Have Nil in the yard. zero, zilch, nada. Well maybe a couple. I would imagine I will be dealing with a lot of frozen wood this winter as the trees will freeze quick and my logs are still standing. :)

Jeff

It won't be lon things is changin.

Day Before Halloween:

Day after Halloween:

smwwoody

It has been below freezing for about a week here and my logs are about half frozen it was sawdust sticking to everything today

My wife said we should buy a second mill and go visit fla deadheader with a portable one for the cold months
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Fla._Deadheader

ALRIGHT !!! Come on down !! I got 2 + jobs waitin. About 100+ Pines to be dropped and sawn. Some ya can't begin to reach around. Besides, If ya get bored, you can always go with us and swim with the gators!! 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D  BTW, it's still 85 degrees here????  When's winter coming ??? ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Brian_Bailey

Jeff,  

I was under the impression that trees won't freeze until the temp. gets down to -30 degrees F. an lower. The sap will get slushy but will not freeze solid.  If you cut the tree down and its below freezing, the log will freeze solid in short order.  That's what I've always been told.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

smwwoody

the logs i am sawing have been laying in my log yard for about 2 months so they freeze prety fast
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

my wife said that there is one of those blue things with wheels under it for sale up the road from us and she likes gators 8) 8)
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!