iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frame Raising Pictures

Started by Joel Eisner, February 16, 2006, 10:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Eisner

Here are the first pictures from our frame raising last Sat/ Sun.  It was cold and rainy on Sat and cold and sunny on Sun.

We started about 9 AM.  It was rough at first since of the 30 or so people doing the raising, one person did a Sobin workshop and another did some timber work around his farm.  As the raising approached I thought about the fact that I have never stepped foot in a traditional timber frame structure and only read the few books on the topic (more than once).  It was an incredible few days with new and old friends .... well worth the 4 months of cutting joints by myself on weekends and evenings.  Most of the raising was by hand.  One set of rafters, the purlins and a few misc timbers were set using a Man Lift.

Here we are getting ready to lift a bent.

Raising a bent on the wet deck.

Near-blind James and Harmonica Bob

Placing the rafters on the last bent to go up.

Nailing the bow.

Placing the purlins and pegging on day 2.

We finished by placing tarps over the frame and are going to start placing the roof decking and erecting the exterior walls.

Joel
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

UNCLEBUCK

That looks great Joel , what a accomplishment !  I really think that is just awesome !  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

TexasTimbers

Nice work Joel!
You know what just dawned on me while looking at your pics, I don't know that I've ever seen anyone write down a "decision tree". you know, like how you got to the decision to do a timber frame over a stick frame/log home/igloo ( :)); then how you chose the type of wood you chose over another; how you came about the timbers; what books you chose to use as refernces and why; if you took a class and why you picked that one over others you may have looked at; etc. Heck I guess I'm talking about more than a decision tree I'm talking about a biography.
Oh well, when you are home taking care of the whole family that has Type A Influenze (don't know how I haven't got it yet) you sit around thinking about these things.
Unless you get the Flu too I doubt you'll have time to share all that but it's just a thought.
Thanks for the pics! Keep us posted on your progress dryin in etc.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Don P

That is a nice looking building  8)
What are the outside dimensions?
I'm trading some finished stairs for future time on a manlift, they can sure come in handy.

Joel Eisner

The building is 40 by 22 ft with a 6-12 pitch roof.  All the timbers came from within a 100 ft or so of the building.  They are SYP.  We are also placing a 40x10 ft porch on one side that will also be timbers.
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

Troy

WOW! That is great Joel!  I know you are glad to see it all start to come together.  I did a lot of the work on my home over a two year period.  I remember all the long hours, days, months, years of hard work and stress to get it all done.  Ah, the stories I could tell...  There is nothing more rewarding than to see and enjoy the results of your own labor each and every day once you are living in it.  My home means so much more to me and yours will to you as well.  Keep us posted on the progress.
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Thank You Sponsors!