iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peaveys and Cant Hooks

Started by Snag, February 16, 2006, 06:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snag

I am going to make a purchase from timberpro of a LogRite peavey or cant hook.  I have used an old cant hook for a number of years, but never a peavey.  What is the working difference (I know the physical).  It will be used mostly arounf the WPF when it comes in.  How does the jack add-on work (good/bad) from your experience?  Thanks in advance.....

Jeff

This will give you a bunch of opinions to read while you wait for new onse to arrive. :)

The Forestry Forum word on Peaveys and Cant hooks
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Snag

Thanks Jeff.  Sometimes I get thinking so hard about things I forget to use the search feature.... ???

rebocardo

I do not have a log-rite yet, but, on my cant hook the timberjack add on so you can lift small logs off the ground works great. Also, you can use it so a log does not get out of control when rolling a log, acts like a chock block.

wiam

I have a bandsaw.  I prefer a  cant hook around the mill.  I have always used a peavey in the woods because that is what my grandfather did.  ::)

Will

ARKANSAWYER

There are times I get a bit peaved and have not found any thing I cant do.  I have been hooked a few times and rooked even more.   ;D

Cant hooks are used more around mills to turn things over and were used on old manual carriages to turn the logs/cants before we got log turners.  I remember as a kid watching an old steam mill run and the guy rode on the carriage all the time.  Pre OSHA I would guess.   Peaveys were used in the woods and the point helped when walking up and down hills as well as when floating the logs down the river.
ARKANSAWYER

Snag

Thanks for the info guys.... Arkansawyer, I think maybe that was the question I was asking, why the difference in the point.  Thanks... :)

Captain

Hey Snag, since you have a swnigblade and your log turning tool is going to double as a prying instrument, you want a Peavey for moving logs on the ground.  Just my opinion, you can test drive both...

Captain

ARKANSAWYER

On the LogRite can't you just change the point?   It just screws in.   If he has a swinger the he needs a A.S.S. since he is doing just big logs.
ARKANSAWYER

TN_man

Hey Arky,
You sound like a salesman.  Do you get a cut on the sale of those things? ::)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Dan_Shade

my logrite peavey and cant hooks have different ends, the peavey point is pinned in place

I guess you could make something work, though. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

Along the lines of changing the pointed end -- What about a flattened end like a chisel point to scrape bark and such off logs?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

ARKANSAWYER

That is something they need to think about!  Also right now I could use a snow shovel point.  ;D   Wonder how they would hold up chipping ice?
ARKANSAWYER

Qweaver

I don't think anyone actually answered the question asked.  Other than the point, is there a physical difference between a peavey and a cant hook?  I ordered the 60" LogRite peavey because I often need to use the point but the point does often get in the way when turning the log on the mill.  The LogRite peavey and cant hook look exactly the same to me except for the point.   I love this peavey BTW...way better than my wood handled one that cost about the same money.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

rebocardo

For log rolling on the ground.

Sometimes you can not get a cant hook to properly hook unto a log between the two hooks without banging the lower hook in.

A peavy you can always get to grab as long as it can open wide enough.

A cant hook can give you better leverage because you can wrap it far enough around the other side to roll/pull it towards you as you lean all the way back. Note to self: this is how you break the hook on a cant hook and injure your pride when you fall backwards.  :D

You can use the flat end of a cant hook handle to pound a wedge in a pinch.

Captain

Since Kevin is in Oregon somewhere I'll stand in with the answers here :)

1) There is no physical difference in the hook geometry and the handle length between LogRite Cant Hooks and Peaveys. 
2) The tips are NOT interchangeable, the counterbore is different.

Captain

ARKANSAWYER

Well it looks like when he comes back from out west he needs to get R & D on fixing that so that all you need is to buy a spare tip to change your tool over to fit you needs.

Unless you walk on alot of ice or float logs down the river you could do well with a LogRite cant hook and if you have alot of large logs the A.S.S. will sure save your back.  I would not give mine up.
ARKANSAWYER

Dan_Shade

the one nice thing about a peavey is you can stick it in the ground and you won't have to bend over to pick it up.

I hate bending over to pick stuff up.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

I hate to have to pull it out of the top of my foot so that I can go back to the mill too.  :D :D

eagles nest

were can i find a replacement handle to a cant hook? looked in bailes allready.
were are the FF hats i keep reading about avalible at?

Minnesota_boy

Bailey's does have cant hook handles, although their selection is limited.  They're in log and lumber handling.

If you need a length they don't handle, you could try going to Peavy Manufacturing.  http://www.peaveymfg.com/
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ARKANSAWYER

Save your coin and just buy a LogRite hook.   I needed a handle for my 6' cant hook because I busted the second one of the year.   Not broken my A.S.S. since then.  ;D    Dogwood makes a great handle.
ARKANSAWYER

eagles nest

thanks guys
i thought about cuting a hickory that was about the right size i wanted a longer handle thanthe 5' that it came with

Snag

Thanks for all the info guys.  It is appreciated.

Captain - you keep those logrite tools in stock or are they shipped as ordered?  If you have them in stock I will wait till I go down.  If not I am going to order now....

Captain

I've usually got them in stock, but let me know what you want and we will be sure to have it.

Captain

Jim_Wahl

I asked about logrite peaveys and cant hooks being interchangable once a while back and it was explained to me that
the peaveys had to be built stronger that the cant hooks so they are not interchangeable. I spose if you were desperate
you might be able to convert a peavey into a cant hook without worrying about whether it could take it, if you could make your own cant hook tip to put in it. That might be one way to void the iron clad warrenty, though, maybe.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

Thank You Sponsors!