iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Holey Oak Club

Started by Jeff, February 16, 2006, 05:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Back in the last week of 2001 Tom and I established the Holey Oak Club. I swear, it had not been that long but it has been. Since that time there has only been two members but only because no one really knew what it takes to be a member. Its pretty simple really. You have to go visit Tom, take a walk in his woods, find the Mighty Holey Live Oak, and have someone take your photo through it. Tom has a bear story involving this tree that he cah tell. The first photo is a more distant view of the Mighty Holey Oak.

I encourage anyone that can, to become a member of our club! 8)

This is Tom, our club president in 2001

This is me in 2001

Now, the newest members!

DanG 2006

Woodbowl 2006

Corley5 2006

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Snag

Would love to head down and visit, but I think my boss would put a stop to it.  I have a red oak here about that size I could cut a hole in....  does that count?

Jeff

:) nah, we don't want to cut no unneeded holes in unholey trees. The picture takin is the finale to the whole innitiation process. Its the visiting with Tom and the walk through and enjoyment of an honest to goodness Florida swamp that gets ya in.

Snag

I see your point, maybe one of the times I visit my brother in Georgia my wife err... I mean boss ummm... whoever, will let me take a ride down that way.....  :D

SwampDonkey

How 'bout a walk in a northern white cedar swamp? :D ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Snag

Now THAT looks more like home!!!

Tom

As interesting and beautiful the rest of the country may be, there is only one valid Holey Oak that qualifies one for the Holey Oak club.  :)

Daren

I'm coming to Florida in the spring. If I stick my head in a tree and see this looking at me I am heading back to Illinios where the oaks are pretty and the varmits that live in them run when they hear a chainsaw like nature intended.

DanG 2006

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

UNCLEBUCK

Most clubs I ever was initiated into the pre-requisite was a sword fight  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

iain

A real club would have you crawling through that hole,

now that would cut the membership down to "exclusive" in more ways than one ;) :D

iain(some of us can still fit through, aint that about right Mr Tate) ;)

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

'Now you just squeel like pig'

;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

Speak for yourself, Iain.  I may have a pink extension cord, but I DON'T CRAWL!  ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Well, you all know we's just a joke'n lot on here. Fact is, most of us would like to belong to a club like that. Too bad some of the young folks of today wouldn't come out of their video arcades and start a worth while club and learn a little bit about the world outside of the living room. When we was kids around here, we were never in doors. There was too much going on outside. In fact most of the time our dads or moms had to go looking for us. That kinda carried on when we got older as there was chores to be done, we become scarce. ;) :D :D

Jeff

As we walked through Toms swamp we were admiring the trees and plants and asking Mr. Tom questions about what we were seeing. Some of the trees that seemed unrelated in appearance yet related in name, example Loblolly as in  Loblolly Pine and Loblolly Bay. Tom was talking about this and I missed a chance to record something on my camera I wish I had so I asked Tom to explain it again and pointed the camera at him. Problem is, this danG camera seems to only record 10 seconds at a time and I cut him off.  The first video clip here catches Tom off guard with my request to explain loblolly again and then rudely cuts him off. :D  The next clip is, well, just DanG and I commenting.

https://forestryforum.com/media/tom_loblolly_1.mpg

https://forestryforum.com/media/tom_loblolly_2.mpg

iain

Jeff your a natural with technical stuff :D

iain

Tom

Reina in the Holey Oak at Tom's 2006

Harold in the Holey Oak at Tom's 2006

DanG

8) 8) 8)

I'm glad you got a visit with Harold, and got to meet Reina.  I don't suppose they're headed west, are they?  I'd sure like to do the same!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Nope, headed back South.  Their trying to get Costa Rica to let harold back in.  :D :D

Something 'bout bureaucrats in Miami and paper work and certified copies of certified documents to certifythat the certifications are certifiable.  :-\

DanG

Heck, I coulda told'em that Harold is certifiable, if that's all they wanted to know. ::) ???

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff B on February 16, 2006, 05:58:03 PM
Tom has a bear story involving this tree that he can tell.

Tom, that was your que to tell the story eh?

Tom

When I was first an owner of the property, I was walking amongst the trees and knew that we had a bear when I saw the hole that was dug in front of the tree.  Something had dug an Armadillo out of the ground here and created a crater that was the size of a small office.  It was about 10'x8'x18" with the dirt piled all the way around, which made it look even deeper.  On top of the bank of dirt was the remnants of an Armadillo shell.

I know that Black Bear are in the area and this was proof to me that we had one.  This swamp runs east and west for miles.  Somewhere in there is at least one Bear.

There is also at least one Pant'er (panther or cougar) that lives in there with the deer, hogs and squirrels too.  I know.  I had the beejezus scared out of me in the middle of the night one night.  It was about midnight and I was laying myself down to bed, dressed only in my skivvies, when a scream was emitted from behind the house like a woman who had been seriously hurt.  I ran outside, down the path and was standing practically naked in the woods about 300 feet behind the house to find out what it was.  Then it dawned on me.  "You Idiot! What are you doing?".  I hurriedly high-step-tiptoed back to the house as fast as my bare feet would allow.  ::)

Jeff

Tom, I would be willing to bet that if it had been a crime of some sort that a Nekid Santa would have stopped it in its tracks.

Robert R

I come on down and join tomorrow but then I'd have to change my name to holey chaplain robert and mrs chaplain robert would spit and sputter her ice tea everwhere!  So I'll have to pass.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

SwampDonkey

Better make fast trax Tom, the woodland goblins will get at ya. :D

CHARLIE

I wonder why Tom never let me join the Holey Oak Club when I went down to visit him? ::)  :'( All he ever did was work me hard and feed me generic brand canned peas. :-\
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!