iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Honda Generator help

Started by Coon, February 16, 2006, 12:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Hey guys I need some help locating parts for an old Honda Generator.  The model # is EG1500 and is a great little generator when it is running.  This generator hasn't been used a whole lot as it is kinda on the smaller side at only 1500 watts.  I went to fire it up earlier today as a couple of us guys a going on a little timber exploration trip this weekend.  I put fresh fuel and oil in it and cleaned the plug.  When I pulled the rope it never even fired once.  That's something odd for this little unit.  So I started looking at it and found it had no spark.  I pulled the air cleaner off and there it was,  so I thought, a broken wire running from the kill switch to the coil.  Fixed it and still no luck.  No spark at all.  Well I pulled the flywheel off to get at the magnetic coil so I could remove it, to check for magnetism.  Nope, none to be found........ 

I've been looking on the net for parts.  Can't find any listings for older honda engines or generators.  Does any of you people know where I could find a coil for this?  It is so handy and at times would rather use it in the yard than to string out a whole bunch of extension cords.  Your help would be very much appreciated.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Glenn

Sounds to me like it may be a problem with the on/off switch or low oil alert shut off.  Check all those connections with a tester before changing the coil.

sawguy21

The coil itself won't be magnetized, just the flywheel. That one should have poiunts and condenser which are usually the problem.
The broken kill switch wire would allow it to run but not shut off. The switch grounds the primary side of the ignition to kill the spark. Make sure that wire is not bared and touching metal somewhere else. That is an old unit and parts have pretty well dried up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Murf

Brad, I have one of those too. I had the same problem too.  ::)

It is apparently a common problem for the magnet to go weak. No magnet, no spark.

The mag can be 'recharged' by yourself, or take to a shop to  have it done for you. It's actually pretty simple to do.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Coon

Hey Murf how would one go about remagnetising the coil?  I was  told that by someone else this morning but he can't remember how he remagnetised his coil some years ago.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Brad.

Murf

Coon, have you ever used an electromagnetic coil to demagnetise a tool, it's very similar, except backwards.  :D

You could probably also induce some magnetism into the coil with just a large permanent magnet.

Do a Google search on something like "making a magnet" there's lots of aesy science type stuff out there that explains it. Basically you need a coil large enough to pass your magneto through, and a DC voltage power supply, hopefully one you can make flash power to the coil to create and collapse the field rapidly. This helps speed the process.

Other wise look around for any place that rebuilds aircraft magnetos, they should be able to re-magnetise the coil very easily.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Coon

I found a new coil for $58.95 American dollars.  Boatnet.com was the only place that I could find one.  Seems a bit high priced...... does anyone out there know where I can get the coil for a Honda EG 1500A generator cheaper?
Brad.

sawguy21

You were lucky to find that one. The gen has to be over twenty years old and Honda is not noted for keeping stock of parts.for that stuff.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Coon

Yep I was lucky.  I ordered three of them coils and a whole rebuild kit  for the engine and a rebuild kit for the generator itself.  1 of the coils is going on this generator I need it for and the engine rebuild kit and coil is for another generator I just bought from a guy for 20 bucks yesterday.  He claims the generator has very low compression and that the coil on it is shot because he pulled the good one off it years ago for another honda generator he used to have.
Brad.

If someone knows where I could find these parts cheaper please let me know.

Thank You Sponsors!