iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Entertainment center carcass is done

Started by Modat22, February 15, 2006, 10:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

This silly thing has fought me every step of the way, its just too dang big a project for my half full 12' x 16' shop... I have to move this part inside the house so I can start building the drawers and doors.

I've been trying to get a smooth finish but the pores in the wood won't fill. I tried using a pore filler made by minwax with the results you see here. Anyone have a suggestion for filling pores in my next project?

remember man that thy are dust.

submarinesailor

When you used the Minwax filler, did you apply it with the grain and than remove it with a burlap rag rubbing across the grain?  That's the way I was taught to do floors.

Bruce/subsailor

Modat22

Honestly no, I applied it and then removed it with a cotton diaper with the grain. I think I understand why that didn't work well.

thedeeredude

You have to squeegie the excess off against the grain so that it pushes it into the pores.   Try on a scrap piece of wood first and see what results you get.  It's looking good so far!

UNCLEBUCK

I would guess sanding sealer applications with a fine grit sanding between coats . That looks like mighty fine work Modat  ;D  .  My entertainment center has stuff stacked all over the tv , never had a entertainment center but I bet its nice !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Modat22

Thanks for the compliments, I sanded it back down last night with 180, 220 and 320 sandpaper and recoated it. Thats all I'm going to do to this carcass, I'm a perfectionest but I don't have all the necessary skills or tools to be a proper perfectionist. If I'm not careful I'll ruin the piece trying to get it just right.

Larry

Looking good Modat22.

Jeff Jewitt wrote an finishing article for Fine WoodWorking maybe bout a year ago.  He described using plaster of paris for a grain filler.  I tried it with good results.  He has a web site...think it is Homesteadfinishing.com.  Pretty much a guru on the art of finishing.  Nice to talk to and has several other methods of grain filling...none of which have I tried.

Suggestion to save space...I normally build face frames first, followed by doors and drawers.  Finish em all and than start on the boxes. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!