iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Took A Walk Today, Retro

Started by Radar67, February 15, 2006, 01:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I took a walk on my property today (South/Central MS) and saw a few trees and plants I couldn't ID. I remembered having some pictures from earlier in the fall as well. Any help would be appreciated.

This one is from the fall during a rain shower. The leaf is a vine, not part of the tree.

The next three are pictures of a young evergreen. I know it is in the pine family, but not sure of the species. I've heard it called a spruce pine, but can't find anything on this name.

This is the same pine growing. The bark is smooth. This was taken in the fall. The center tree.

Taken in the fall, more shrubby than tree like.

A tree type or large shrub. The trunk is about 2 inches across.

I have no clue what these are. Thanks.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sprucebunny

The first picture looks like our pin cherry.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ANGELO.S

The pine looks like a Scotch (Scot's) Pine to me.  Are the needles in bundles of 2 or 3?

Radar67

Angelo,
    Welcome to the forum!
The needles are not bunched, they seem to alternate. The clipings are very fragrant, real sweet smell.

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

jon12345

On the first you can probably identify by smell.  If it smells and tasted like wintergreen it is black birch, if not there is a pretty good chance it is pin cherry. Another way to tell is the location they are growing pin cherry will not grow in suppressed conditions.

There is a good chance it is spruce pine.  Checked my dendro book and your pictures seem to match the description.  Smooth bark unlike other SYP, and more shade tolerant - as yours appears to be.  Needles 2 per fascicle and 1 1/2 - 4"

that last one almost looks like an elm to me. 
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Radar67

Jon, I'll have to try the smell/taste test on the first one. Not too sure what you mean by suppressed, but if you mean shade and a lot of other growth close, then it is definitely suppressed. The pine is growing in shade and the needles are about 2 inches on the young plants.

Stew

Minnesota_boy

The next to last picture looks a bit like red mangrove, but you best get that verified by someone who lives closer to mangrove than the 1500 miles that I do.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Pullinchips

The first is deffinatly a cherry, some twigs would help nail it down, i know it is a cherry, don't rule out black cherry i have seen losts that look like that.  Your vine in the first pic is Virginia creeper.  As for the pine a spruce pine looks that way and smells citrisy (is this a word) like an orange.  It grows along streams and creeks, and i beleive is darker green than othe s. yellow pines.  Not sure on the technical id of it since i have only seen it in school, not in the woods.  The second to last may bee in the bay family, not sure, mabe a mtn. laural, let us know where it is growing, slope aspect, soil conditions.  The last one looks like all those trees that appeared so familar that i forgot after i took dendro.  I cant even remember my guesses right now.  It looks familiar but i cant seen to remember my guesses.  Oh does the last one have little fruit/seed structures on it that resemble catkins or small pine cone like structures.  I can picture a tree with those type of structures with leaves like those, but it is of no help since i cant rember a name.  For the last is it growing in moist conditions, near a bog, creek, pond.

-Nate
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Radar67

All of these plants are growing near a creek, on the upslope. The soil conditions have not been tested, but based on other identifiable plants growing in the area, it should be slightly acidic,  moist sandy to loam. I'll have to get some pictures of the twigs.

Stew

jon12345

After further investigation, could the last one be  witchhazel  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

First one probably isn't pin cherry, too far south and west. To far south and west for black birch probably. Looks like a clump of ironwood Ostrya. When the tree gets older it gets scaly bark.

Your last one is witch hazel. If it's thorny then it's a species of hawthorne and there are several.

I think the third tree is a magnolia. I may possiby be an Anise-tree.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

SD, the last one is not thorny. I did a search on witch hazel and it does seem to fit the characteristics. I will label it as such.

The last one is definitely not magnolia as there are several growing nearby and this one is much different. The anise tree fits the bill from my searches.

The first one I'm still not sure of. I'll have to get some more pictures of the twigs and leaves if any are still present. I checked out the ironwood and it is similar but still not a hundred percent sure.

I found some info on the spruce pine finally and everything seems to match. Has anyone had any luck making lumber out of a mature one. I know the wood is not as strong as pine, but it should make a good decorative wood, like siding or trim.

Stew

SwampDonkey

Stew when ironwood starts getting scaly bark it's usually around a couple inches in diameter (DBH) and the scale starts at the bottom and is in thin flecks. Leaves are birch-like and you might find overwintering catkins that turn downward. Take a look at the 'ID of Overwintering Trees' thread above for a picture of twigs, buds and bark. I think the buds are kind of flattened, and there is no terminal bud. You should see where the growth abscised beyond the last lateral bud of the twig.

good luck

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

Since one of the piggies was here, I should update this post.

#1 Is definitely black cherry. Found another tree close to these that is more mature and the buds and leaves match.

#2-#5 Is definitely Spruce Pine, has the definite citrus smell.

#6 I have to stand corrected, it is in the Magnolia family, bay magnolia. Not like the Southern Magnolia at all.

#7 Is witch hazel as pointed out.

Thanks for all the help.

Stew

SwampDonkey

I still say #1 is ironwood, those markings are typical of it and are not lenticels like you find on cherry. :D :D :D

Jeff

Sure they are Donk, at least on what we call pin or choke cherry. I can probably get some photos from out back. What stew has there looks a whole lot like what I have here and I know ours is cherry.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Which one is the cherry?  ;D

Stew, does the leaf base have 2 oil glands (brown dots) and the underside have hairs on the mid-rib of the leaf?

Radar67

SD, I think it is black cherry for the following reasons:

The leaves of the hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana) have doubly serrate margins and appear to be veined (similar to the leaves of a beech tree).

The leaves for this tree are finely toothed, elliptical, and smooth feeling (almost to the point of being waxy). This particular tree is about 6 inches dbh and I don't see any sign of scaly bark at the bottom. And it is growing in a clump (several trunks coming out of the ground together)

I have no clue which tree in your photos is cherry. Neither looks anything like mine.  :)

I will visit my place tomorrow and get a variety of pictures of the bark, leaves, twigs, and buds and we'll decide 100% from them.  ;)

Stew

SwampDonkey

# 2 is black cherry. It has a ton of lenticels making it rough textured. The top is ironwood (eastern hophornbeam). The ironwood I have in the picture doesn't show the white blotches like it would if grown in shaded conditions. I thin tons of that stuff in hardwood stands and it's a scurge in sugar bushes in the undergrowth, as bad as beech regen. It might possibly be another cherry species. Most of our black cherry is bitten by the black knot fungus. I saw on an internet site a picture, supposedly showing pin cherry with black knot. I have never seen it here in pin cherry and I have pin cherry growing in with black cherry, so if it was ever susceptible it would surely have it. Leaves of black cherry are oblong-lanceolate ::)

SwampDonkey

Stew, I just read that there are 5 geographical varieties, so yours may well turn out to be cherry. I think our trees with the more dense lenticels are likely more susceptible to the fungus, just a hypothesis. ;)

I've seen the bark on mature trees around Fredericton and it looks alot different that up here. Ours is more birch-like.

Radar67

SD, here is the site I am pulling info from. If you scroll down on the left to the Rosaceae family, you will find black cherry.

http://www.forestry.auburn.edu/samuelson/dendrology/

The characteristics of this tree's leaves and twigs are almost identical to the one I have pictured.

Stew

SwampDonkey

Yup, well that is close to the description of ours except our leaves are a bit more lanceolate. But, the scaly mature bark and fruit and flowers match.

SwampDonkey

Last Year's Leaf from Black Cherry.

Here's a leaf sample from my trees.

Glands

Hairs along midrib toward the base of the leaf, on the underside.

Radar67

SD,
   Here are some more pictures. Is it Cherry?

Stew

SwampDonkey

Yup, but it sure is different than our black cherry. Yours seems to be smooth as black birch, ours is very rough because of the sense lenticels. I don't even see any brown hairs on the underside of leaves either, but your pictures aren't really close enough to see. I think I see the glands on a couple leaves though, they're like tiny warts on the stems. Usually 2, sometimes 1.

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

I was reading Audubon's description of fall coloration on fire or pin cherry and they say it's bright yellow. All our fire/pin cherry turns bright red. When the sun hits it, it'll take the eyes out of your head.  :o

Thank You Sponsors!