iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What equipment is essential for a novice to have.

Started by cnl390, February 14, 2006, 08:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnl390

I am new to chainsaws, although I have been around them and have used one now and then over the years I haven't owned one until now.  And after browsing around Bailey's & other internet sites I was wondering what gear, accessories, spare parts, etc. are essential must have items.

I have a Husky 353, 20" bar, Husky Power Box case, Husky helmet w/ mesh face guard & hearing protectors & Husky chaps.

I am using the saw around my farm to clear cedar (2-16" Dia.) oak (3-8" Dia.), and to trim trees.

What more, in you alls opinions, do I need in my gear box.

Thanks!

sawguy21

A good pair of gloves and comfortable, durable  high top boots with a non skid sole. I prefer steel toe as I am prone to dropping stuff. I also carry at least one spare chain, files (learn how to use them), and a small first aid kit. If you are felling, you will also need wedges and a small axe.
Do you have anyone that can teach you how to use the saw and fell safely? Stick around here and you will learn tons. There is also lots of other reading material available. Have fun, don't work alone and be safe.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

cnl390

All I have to teach me is the manual that came with the saw and this forum.  Are there any good books or videos I can get.

My #1 priority is safety!

Rocky_J

I'll second the file suggestion. Too many saw owners have no clue how to sharpen a saw, or even have the ability to identify a dull chain from a sharp one. Fighting a dull chain is one of the most dangerous aspects of running a chainsaw.

jon12345

I'd suggest a felling belt, they come with pockets for wedges, first aid kits, clip for a D tape, slot for a scrench.  Everything you need is in reach.  Now all you need is your fuel can, saw, and ax.

I'd also recommend at least some GOL or similar training. 
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

thurlow

Essential/must have?  All depends.......have you spent your life behind a desk or around tools/equipment/stuff that will maim or kill you with a monemt's inattention?  Our first saw (my Dad's actually) was a big old Sears.......David Bradley probably, this was in the early 50s.........that had the manual oiler up on top of the engine case.  To go with it........saw wrench, file, gas and oil cans, axe.  Not knocking today's kelvar chaps, hearing protectors, goggles, etc, but essential/must have?   All depends.............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

cnl390

Thanks for all the help!

Although I am new to owning a chain saw I have operated some in the past but probably not correctly or as safely as I couild have.

And although I am around a desk I have been going to our farm for over 40 years and have been exposed to and/or have worked with tractors, log splitters, cattle, sheep, brush, saws, building equipment & tools, rifles, pistols, shotguns, etc.

I will take the advise of the belt with  the accessories and the ax.  I notice that there are many styles and sizes of axes, which do I want.

Thanks, you guys know so much and are so helpful.

wiam

I have a pocket that goes on the belt on my chaps.(Thanks Vermonter) It has a couple wedges,  a scrench, a file and a little first aid.  This way I do not need another belt.

Will

jon12345

Depends...

do you want your leg tore open from not wearing chaps
      diminished hearing from not wearing ear protection
      concussion from a fallen limb from not wearing head protection
      lost eye site from not havin face shield or goggles

kickback can happen to anyone
sound is pretty much  unavoidable
sawdust/chips/bark WILL fly
pretty good chance of overhead hazards falling too

Ax should have a good 'hammer' side, primarily used for driving wedges, occassionally clearing lower limbs/brush from around the tree and escape routes.  May want some bright colored flagging attached or a bright handle  they can get lost easy, especially in the snow (if it even snows, where are ya?)

Woodhog

I always take my cell phone with me...I have it on a pouch with a zipper on my tool belt.

Sounds like your used to equipment so you wont have much trouble..and you have all the safety gear..

A good packsack is handy to have all those little tools in.

Keep it nice and sharp and ALWAYS look UP!!!  I have more close calls from stuff falling than
anything else...

Have safe fun!!!

cnl390

Don't have to worry about snow.  I'm in San Antonio, TX.  It is sunny and 71 degrees.  Tomorrow and Thursday will be in the low 80's.

But then I have lost bigger things than an ax, so your advise is well taken.

Tillaway

You are pretty well covered so far, remember water jugs for thirst, fire extinguisher and shovel for cutting during dry conditions (its the law here during fire season), first aid kit, bee bop, several wedges, three or four chains (you can sharpen at home and do better... usually), small screw driver to adjust carb, a partner or spotter, carry acanned air horn or whistle, keep a cell phone in a water proof tough container... that way it will be protected and can be used by your partner just in case, carry a talk about type 2-way radio (you can check in with others from time to time or yell for help).
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Ga_Boy

I always keep my 60" Peavy handy as well.  Nice to be able to nudge logs when needed.

Sounds like you could get by with a 48" Peavy.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

DanG

Another handy thing to have along is a Logrite hookeroon.  It enables you to reach things without bending over or climbing on a pile of brush.  I use mine more than any other tool.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

rebocardo

In order of importance to me:

Read the chain saw manual and forums.

hard hat helmet with face screen and ear muffs
gloves
steel toe boots at least 8" high or better real chain saw boots
safety chaps

training

cant hook at least 3 feet long
wedges
5 pound sledge or bigger

cell phone or cb
first aid kit including a diaper and duct tape

6 foot steel pry bar at least 1" thick

Glenn

Of all the things considered essential the main one in my view is a partner.  No matter what happens from a jammed saw to an accident it is best to have someone with you.  A cell phone is a good second choice provided you can reach it when you need it, otherwise the ravens will be telling the search party where you are.  During college my first day on the job timber cruising my partner / superviser asked me if i had first aid training, i told him as long as you have it buddy i'll be alright! Seriously i have seen a few people get hurt and one get killed by working alone and especially when you involve a farm tractor for skidding.

leweee

My most important  part of saftey equipment is useing my head(brain)  ;D
All the PPE won't save you if you don't use your head(brain) :P :P :P
most chainsaw accidents happen from fatigue(late in the day) & from coasting chain.

PLAY SAFE & HAVE FUN :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

tony_marks

ill agree with glen . although i never work with anyone. i do so with the understanding that sooner or later, the unexpected may happen .
  its just a lotto trouble to always get somebody to go with u.
well i guess im past the most dangerouse time [knock on wood]
as i dont take dn really big stuff anymore anyway.

Glenn

I don't think the really big stuff, as dangerous as it is, is where people are getting hurt.  Triming around the tree the small saplings the size of your finger cause alot of kickbacks.  When you cut a dangerous tree down you are watching for trouble but the easy stuff surprises you.  I agree that fatigue is a large part of it as is the weather - deep snow, extreme heat.  I had a kickback once through my pants and long johns.  I was already feeling the pain when i noticed i wasn't cut - just my clothes were.  I went home - too close for comfort!

cnl390

You guys are a wealth of knowledge.  You all should get together, share all of your experience, tips & advbentures and make a training video or book, I am sure it would be a best seller.

The reason I am so concerned about safety is when I was in my early 20's I worked on a friend of mine's father's ranch.  We had just built a new chicken coop and we were in the process of making the roosting poles.  My friend was holding a small cedar tree vertically with his hand at the top of tree and my other friend was stripping the limbs below.  I am sure every one of you experienced guys know what happened next.  Saw encountered a small limb in the wrong place, violent kickback equals chili meat hand.  I can still remember what his hand looked like.  And we were 20 miles form a hospital.
The one saving grace to this was that my friend's dad was the head of the pathology dept. at  the University of Texas Medical School in San Antonio and he had the best eam of surgeons put him back together. 

innocent bystander

Quote from: cnl390 on February 15, 2006, 04:45:02 PM

You guys are a wealth of knowledge.  You all should get together, share all of your experience, tips & advbentures and make a training video or book, I am sure it would be a best seller.

I'd shoot that video!

I live in Atlanta, and shoot video and do training for a living.  Sounds right up my alley.

Problem is I know next to nothing about chain saws and therefore safety. 

Maybe someone should start another thread to discuss 'every safety issue' that ought to be included in such a video.

hmmmmm... 

jon12345

sounds like a good idea, and could be digitized and put in the knowledge base  ???

proper use of other forestry equipment such as hand tools could also be included

Thank You Sponsors!