iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tending your little piece of earth

Started by SwampDonkey, December 11, 2005, 01:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Ok, here's a couple of pictures of trees I planted in mod- heavy slash piles 3 summers ago (2002). I had this area that wasn't growing anything accept some scattered cedar, fir and balm. It was alot of work getting into the groove and finding a spot for each tree. It's something you could only do on your own land unless someone is paying you by the hour. I was quite pleased with the results and the slash helps deter the weeds. Nothing is impossible I guess, just need determination. ;D

Moderate

Heavy

Did some plantation cleaning this spring (May) with a spacing saw. I cleaned about 10 acres of the plantation and 2.5 acres of natural mixed growth along the edge of the plantation. I have more ground coming online for thinning each year. It's not that bad going and I prefer the coolness of the spring air. When it gets hot out, I'm not as keen to lug around a spacing saw. Try it for a week yourself and find out why.  ;)

Notice I also have a nice nurse crop of aspen that will be harvested before the spruce. There are also hardwood in the plantation that are on a longer rotation than the spruce. In some other areas I have alot of balsam fir that will be thinned out when the aspen is taken. This section was scarified in '95 and planted in '96. My plantations were planted at various stages after that.

This is an area of the plantation taken over by fir. I will be favoring the fir because of size and it's faster growth rate. I'll have to soon thin this before it gets too tall, it's handy to 10 feet tall now. Hoping for my first commercial harvest in 30 years. ;)

Anyone is welcome to post the work they have done with their own hands to improve their land. Even road building is an improvement. Good roads are essential for ongoing tending, nurturing and admiring of your ground. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Part_Timer

that is neat.  Could you tell me what a spacing saw is??

We have a small tobacco farm in virginia.  We have 9 years and then we are going to move down there.  Just going to slow life down a bit.  This summer one of the neighbors helped us doze a road up to the barn.  We went down and planted about 3 5gal. buckets of red oak,burroak, walnut and osage nuts and seeds.  I won't have any pictures of what comes up till spring but it should be interesting.
    We just purchased a 4 wheeler and a bush hog this week for Christmas so we can mow it down and keep the weekds under control.

This summer we met with a state forester and walked the whole place looking at trees and openings and what we should keep and what should go.  We spent most all day up there and had a ball.  Most of the place is at about a 50 deg slope in the up direction.  I was flat worn out at the end of the day. 

The forester showed us what to mow back and what to let go hence the 4 wheeler.  he even sent us some paperwork on getting in a planting program for some pines also a reason for the 4 wheeler as we need it to keep the weeds back from the pines if we get in.  I think that I'll just move some of the small white pines around instead of thinning them out.  If we get in the program we're going to plant long leaf since we already have pleanty of whites.    He thought that planting the burr oak would be a neat idea since they don't have any to speak of should freak out the loggers in 40 or 50 years to find a stand of them. :D  :D

Well those are the plans for the coming year.  I'll look and see if I can find some good pictures of the place.

good luck with your plantings

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

jon12345

'My little piece' is actually my mom's right now, but some day its gonna be mine   :)

Is a little under 6 acres though so I'll have to obtain another 'little piece' somwheres else to play with too.  Basically this lot used to be a field, there is a hedgerow through the middle of it consisting of ash, hard and soft maple and apple trees.  Most of the old field grew in with ash and sugar maple, with a lot of maple and cherry growing under the ash.  I've transplanted some of the maple to a non-wooded part, that will become the edge of what I hope will some day be a small sugarbush.  Im not sure if I should clear the ash out now or wait til it gets bigger, because right now it is pretty small, you wouldnt even have to split it to use it as firewood.  Regeneration under this part is almost too thick to walk through, so until I decide what to do I'll just keep transplanting maples out into the open.  Since it is such a small area,  I plan on doing a full inventory as soon as time allows.  If worse comes to worse I can at least have a few bonfires  8)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Part_Timer on December 14, 2005, 06:14:38 PM
Could you tell me what a spacing saw is??
Spacing saw Stihl FS550

Its engine displacement is 52cc and comes in at 22 lbs. It requires a full-torso harness to support it and hearing protection to run it, having a 103-dBA rating at full throttle.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

"Clearing" saw is what Stihl calls it, but the 'spacing' tag might be the end result of 'spacing' trees. Never know what these foresters are going to dream up next.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on December 14, 2005, 07:39:43 PM
"Clearing" saw is what Stihl calls it, but the 'spacing' tag might be the end result of 'spacing' trees. Never know what these foresters are going to dream up next.  :) :)

Who'd a thunk it, but a dumb canuck. No intense offended. :D :D :D

crtreedude

Hey SD - does it count if they are my workers?  :)

I did help plant the first 4,000 trees so that should count, shouldn't it?

So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

Quote from: crtreedude on December 14, 2005, 08:03:56 PM
Hey SD - does it count if they are my workers?  :)

I did help plant the first 4,000 trees so that should count, shouldn't it?

Hmmmm, I guess that would be acceptable. :D ;)

Tom

My first one came from sears in 1984.  I was given a second one, circa unknown, that is a stihl and has a chainsaw power head on it.  Both were called bushwhackers.   I've heard them called power machetes too.  Never heard them called spacing saws. :-\

crtreedude

We have about 3 of those - or something like it. We just added a brushhog for behind an ATV (5 foot) also.

Nothing like mowing one square kilometer of land...

So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

We call'm spacing saws because that's what we use'm for. ;D If it was a clearing saw than in my mind your not leaving anything standing. We don't do thinning from below, it's all thinning from above. Now that statement might invite some more questions. :D ;)

http://ysc.nb.ca/ysccourses.html ;)

jon12345

I used one of those saws before to thin a stand of red & scotch pine, a few of them up to about 4" diameter, lets just say there was a 'little' smoke :o

beenthere

If there is smoke, it needs to be sharpened, I suspect.  :)

(which reminds me, I have one in the garage waiting to be sharpened, so thanks for the 'reminder')
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Jon, I've cut softwood up to 6 inches on the stump and hardwood up to 5 inches. It doesn't have the Torque of a Huskie professional spacing saw (forget model #). It does have a higher RPM though. I like it 'cause it's lighter. I couldn't lug a Huskie around all day.

Jon, maybe ya didn't set the teeth and sharpen it properly. Shouldn't be too hard to cut pine 4".

Use a blade guage to set the teeth, the good ones are like $30 bucks. The ones on the file guage are pretty useless. When working in hardwood you have to check your set more often.

You can see the blade has been well used. ;D :D Usually you don't sharpen the teeth below that horizontal line on the tooth.

jon12345

I think this one was a Stihl, owned by the college, and of course we always 'went real easy' on their equipment  :-X

We put a small blade on a weedwhacker to thin smaller diameter ash <2"in the stand I mentioned before

Part_Timer

Thanks for the picture swamp I understand now. 

We call em brush cutters.  this year we bought the Stihl that you can put different attachments on.  We got ours with the hedge trimmer.  I spent about 4 hours cutting rasberries off of the road.  they were so bad that it would scratch the paint off of the truck.  We also cut some trails to the backside of the place with it.  It works well on the poison ivy and green brier also.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Cuz

Man, you gotrto admire what all that power equipment can do but I have come to look for the bush axe, sling blade, hand saw, etc. before I crank up any of my saws, blades, cutters, mowers.  Must be gettin' old and shore ain't in as big a hurry.

As for my little 15.5 acres, I just (last Spring) cut some nice trees and helped saw them and now drying the lumber for my next project.  Had to get to my little pond dam to rework the spillway to discourage the beavers and muskrats from hanging around.  I have planted and replanted some cypress around the ponds and have found that a barrier of some sort must be placed around the cypress or the beaver will go straight to it and cut it down.  Started with some hardware cloth and ended up with some sections of drain pipe around the base of the trees and that seems to do the job...so far.

I'm still cleaning the tops, splitting and stacking firewood, and doing some erosion prevention, game food plots.  All part of the intial project.  It's great to have a little plot to work and see the fruits of your labors.  Good therapy too.
Love the smell of sawdust in the morning...and lurking on this site!

jon12345

Soon we will be removing all the 'junk' from our property such as all the ash.  I don't know whats going to happen after that, may be clearing a building lot, so I'm not really sure.  Until then I'm stuck dealin with the swampy areas I'm gonna try to dry up a little, and around the lawn of the existing house that I think needs a couple hedgerows, especially if another house might be goin in.

SwampDonkey

jon12345

oops  mis-type.... are not removing all the ash, just all the 'bad' ones - some are split, multiple stems, too close to one another, crooked stems.

SwampDonkey

There is nothing real special about this tree. But it's a Norway spruce as near as I can tell. And it looks like it was planted. But I think it got mixed in with the black spruce seed because the planting crew planted black spruce here. I have planted some red spruce as well as some white here, but none go back as fair as 1996 in this section.

I was struck by this particular tree because of it's form, branching, foliage color (yellow-brown stem and yellow-green needles), and it's spectacular leader growth over the last two years. It has been growing 33 inches, 2 years running and the 3rd year hence it grew 24 inches. Most of the spruce on the nicer microsites of the plantation have grown 14-18 inches. This is my little 'plus tree', to bad I won't be around when it's 3 feet on the stump. :D This is definately one of them trees that deserves the 'pill bottle treatment'. So what's that? Well there is a gentleman woodlot owner that keeps a little pill bottle attached to a branch of a few of his special trees, where he rights down the change in diameter growth from time to time and when it might have been thinned around or planted. ;)

11.3 foot tall Norway spruce.

33 inch leader

:)

I had to edit this post because my initial measurements were estimates   :o way off, the actual measurements are even longer :o

jon12345

Yesterday I started thinning,  I only had a tank of gas though because my 1 gal can was empty and 2 ga can was m.i.a.  ::)

Dropped a bunch of small ash, pruned a cherry and a couple apple.  I left the ash whole so I could drag them to the burn pile easier, when I walked through there today - the deer had devoured every single bud.  the strange thing is, the deer seemed to know dropped trees = food.  After walking further,  I  came across an elm that had died while it was standing and had just fallen, there were deer tracks surrounding that as well which further confirmed my suspicions.    Now my only concern is that the deer won't stop with the ash and start chewing off the tops of the young maples I am trying to promote. - Maybe I can build a fence out of the trees I cut to keep them out  :)

Minnesota_boy

If you make afence out of the fresh trees you cut, the deer will just eat them on the way to the maples.  ;D :o :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

I would have considered leaving the ash until the maples had some more height. Safety in numbers. At least your deer aren't as hard on tree bark as moose. They'll ruin a piece of ground over winter.  >:( We run into the problem of thinning hardwood stands with taller poplar. The crews seem to want to cut out the hardwood. Often times the hardwood are only 3 meters, and should be 4, I prefer 5. So you get some contractor trying to make the stand fit criteria by leaving poplar.  ::) I've seen some nice maple develop in poplar stands without having to thin it. Having said that I thinned about an acre of a similar stand but I favored the maple, ironwood, spruce and fir even though the hardwood was a bit short. If I left it for another 3 or 4 years the poplar would be too big to get down. So, anyway I walked in there this winter and the hardwood are doing nicely. Those poplar are just good nurse trees. If you have large-toothed the growth is faster them trembling, almost double. :)

jon12345

The supressed maple I'm trying to release, are the same age as ones I transplanted to the lawn, trees on lawn are 8-10'  ones under ash are  3'  max. It is really amazing how well the ones on the lawn grew after I 'released' them by transplanting - I never thought they would  grow so well after that trauma to their root system  :)

Thank You Sponsors!