iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill insurance??????

Started by monte, February 13, 2006, 05:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monte

Hi Guys!

I just had a really bad experiance.

I called up my home insurance and asked them how much more a month to cover theft for my new sawmill(as a rider on home insurance). After no kidding, 2 months of calling them back and sending pictures. I finally heard back from them, and guess what? Not only did they not want to cover the sawmill but they cancelled our home insurance!!!! >:( I was furious. to add insult to injury the broker mentioned that now that I mentioned this no other insurance company will insure me with the exception of one! its twice the amount that were paying now and it doesn't cover theft or liability for the mill ???? :o WHAT?????? I have no idea what to do? Actualy I don't even know what I did wrong? :-[ Any help would be appreciated! :-\

SwampDonkey

Canadian Sawmill Insurance. I can't believe some of these Canadian insurance brokers. ::)

http://www.woodchuck.ca

Hope this helps.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

monte

I will try and contact them but my mill is simply for personal use! I don't know if they will have that coverage? Do you mind if I ask how much you pay for insurance annually? :-\

SwampDonkey

I don't have a sawmill. I just know about the program. Some insurance brokers aren't even informed about it's exhistance.  ::)

However, my general liabiliy insurance was $1350, jumped $350 bucks. In 2003 - 2004 it went up $250 each year. These insurance outfits are working to put people out of business and milking the cow as long as everyone keeps paying.  OH well, tax deductions. ::) :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

Monte, I had a similar experience when I bought my mill but didn't get canceled.  Tried to find reasonable insurance for a couple of months and gave up.  Took some steps to limit my exposure to theft, vandalism, fire, and liability.  Couldn't do much about tornados. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ga_Boy

Look to your left and check out the insurance company listed there. They may be able to assist.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

beenthere

monte
Not sure, but sometimes insurance companies group things together and play the 'odds' based on past clients.  Just possibly trying hard to get theft insurance rang some of their little 'bells' and maybe they thought you were up to something. I do know they look at 'risk' and don't know just how they decide. Sounds unfair, and hopefully you have an Insurance Commissioner who would listen to what happened, and would not be on the side of the Insurance Co. (which I see all too often happens).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Part_Timer

Man I sure don't understand that.  I called and had a rider within 2 days.  I could cut all I wanted as long as it was for personal use no questions asked.  Getting liability insurance is turning out to be a bit more tricky.  They can give me a ball park figure on cost but as I try to actually get it I get more and more run around. 

Now they want to know our show schedule, all safety documentation that Petersons sent, all safety rules for the company we are trying to form, bla, bla, bla. 

It just seems funny to me to get a price but not be able to write a check.

best of luck

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Brucer

Hey, Monte.

We've got something special here in Canada that our American friends don't -- a nation-wide insurance plan specifically designed for portable sawmills. Check out the link that SwampDonkey gives above. Some of the features of the plan ..

• They will supply the insurance through your local insurance agent (sounds like you need a new one, though).
  • Coverage includes liability, fire, theft, vandalism, etc., plus coverage if you get billed for starting a forest fire with it  :D.
  • If your mill is destroyed or damaged beyond repair and is less than 3 years old, you get fulll replacement coverage (up to the declared value). For example, I insured my mill for the amount it cost me, including taxes, plus a small allowance for inflation.
  • The downside is, they only insure certain brands of sawmills. I don't know off hand which ones they will cover --  certainly the major brands like WoodMizer, Baker, etc.

As for cost, last year I paid $1125 Cdn for
- $2,000,000 liability.
- $50,000 fire fighting protection.
- loss/damage coverage on a $24,000 sawmill.

I don't know the whole cost breakdown, but the loss/damage portion of the premium $300. They weren't worried about whether or not I was a business. I got coverage under my own name just before I headed off to pick up the mill. When I got myself a business name, etc., they simply changed the name on the policy (at no charge).

Give them a call or e-mail. Then find yourself a good insurance agent ;D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

isassi

Do you suppose this had anything to do with the lawsuit WM lost over a little girl loosing her fingers in a mill? I don't rememeber where I read that online, but it was a large settlement, and I think WM was unfairly targeted...you know, deep pockets and lawyer involved. Seems like what I read went something like a grandfather was out sawing, grandmother was watching the 3 year old grandaughter, telephone rang, GM went to answer, 3 year old went to the mill, GP didn't see her and she got her hand or fingers caught in a feed sprocket. Don't know the accuracy of this, but do you suppose insurance companies are responding in their own way? I do not insure my mill, and I do not allow anyone near it when it is operating. Closest anyone comes is the out feed belt and that guy works for me anyway.

maple flats

I just switched my home owners and my rental units to a farm policy along with my blueberry operation and my maple syrup business as well as my 3 vehicles. This all combined was less than $2000/yr and with seperate companies before I was almost $3000/yr. Coverages 1,000,000/2,000,000. Then they made the sawmill go under a seperate policy, fire, theft, liability, and even covered if I am sued because the lumber I cut was defective and someone got injured and sued me for cutting defective lumber,same limits as above and the cost was under $500/yr if my exposure was under $100,000 in receipts/yr, not sure what the next level is. This company is called Farm Family and has "an association with farm bureau. They are licensed in New York State, I do not know what other states. They are based in Glenmont, New York. Someone might want to check them out. When I got their price I joined Farm Bureau and they even had the paperwork to handle that end. I wrote the deposit check and was covered immediately. I was impressed to say the least. PM me if you want more info and I can give you specifics. I checked and they have a web site--- www.farmfamily.com  , in the site they have a place that lists several states that they cover. Good luck. It appears our sponser (Insurance) only covers Mi and Wi. If they cover more the site does not show it. Farm family does not show they cover Mi, Wi, seem to cover most of northeast.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

jpgreen

Insurance companies are shylocks..  ::)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

SwampDonkey

Insurance brokers are worse. I got quotes on liability insurance and they were:

$1350
$900
$750
no response on one.

Same coverages, and I'll wager there were only a couple insurance companies they were dealing with.

woodmills1

I also have farm family, if you can get in do it.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jpgreen

Do they have a "Mountain Family"...  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

wiam

I have had Farm Family Insurance on my auto for 24 years on my home and farm for almost as long.  When I wanted to start a lawn mowing service this spring I checked into general liability  $300,000.  Farm Family wanted over $700 all up front.  I checked with another guy I know and got a quote of about $400 paid quarterly.  I think I am going to have him go through the rest of my policies.

Will

getoverit

Looks like Florida isnt a covered state :(

Products are offered by Farm Family Casualty Insurance Company in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, and West Virginia, and by United Farm Family Insurance Company in Maryland and Pennsylvania. Products are offered by Farm Family Life Insurance Company in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and West Virginia.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

scsmith42

GOI  - check out Farm Bureau.  Farm Family is one of their member companies; there are others in different states.

My Farm Bureau policy includes general liability for farm related work (including sawmilling).
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

iain

Ian's Big Link is inside of here.  Click this to reach it.

the site was down but google and click cached takes you to the above

iain

RichlandSawyer

I heard on the radio couple weeks ago that several major insurance companies were not writing any new policies in florida, louisiana and parts of texas. They were warning snowbirds to check for coverage before they bought any property in any of these states. Apperantly the god honest realty folks down there were forgetting to mention this little tidbit of info to purchasers.
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

Tom

It's not just a matter of not writing new policies.  Insurance companies are canceling old accounts and moving out of the State.

My next door neighbor just got a letter from Nationwide saying that he has 30 days to find another insurance company for his Double Wide.  He's been with this company for years and paid premiums religiously.  You'd think that they would give more than a 30 day warning.

Here is the aggravating thing.  The State requires that he carry insurance, nobody will write him a new policy but his existing insurance company is allowed to drop him even if he did nothing wrong.   He is one of the policy holders who lives in the relatively unscathed part of the state that has been paying for the damage claims in the other parts of the State. 

It looks to me like, if the State could require him to have insurance, the law would also require that the insurance company have a valid reason for dropping him.  I'd have them in Jail if I were the insurance commissioner.

What happens to these poor souls?   They end up on the street.  His house mortgage is tied to his 50 acre farm.  Without insurance, the mortgage company calls the note.  Without funds to pay off the note, he is forclosed and ends up on the street.  He can't refinance or get a second mortgage because there is no insurance to be had.  That's a pretty sad state of affairs for someone who has been trying to pay off his farm since 1986, keep a job in a "downsizing" economy, find work in a society that is sending jobs off-shore, can be put on the street by his Government.

joelmar10

Tom, I hate to say it being the anti-litigious type, but it sounds like lawyer-up-time for your neighbor.  Paid premiums all those years and prolly never made a claim.  Sounds like it would be a nice class action suit where only the lawyers get paid.

How about a new jingle...Nationwide won't cover your doublewide.
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

SwampDonkey

Insurance companies here are cancelling policies on homes with not so well maintained flues and 10 + year old oil bareels. I know some that are 40 years old. In this case I'm with the insurance company. But, as far as Tom's neighbor is concerned I think buracracy is becoming very burdensome. Another example of insurance and government 'stupidy' is the case of a young mother not being able to afford high auto insurance to drive her car to work. The government agent said stay home and go on welfare.  ::)

iain

Thank you Tom

i'll save your advice and find some place to have a go at it

iain

Kelvin

Here is what i decided to do with this problem.  Don't call around for "sawmill" insurance.  Call around for liability for woodworking.  Do you ask for tablesaw insurance?  My "bandsaw" is one of many tools i use as a "woodworker"  When i called around for "sawmill" insurance it was like asking for submarine insurance.  Who woould want to handle that liability?  Not me.  But, if you are like me, you do many things with wood and have many tools.  One of which is a portable bandsaw, made by woodmizer maybe.  Insure it like you would all your other tools, tractors and equipment.  When i used this route nobody turned me down, i said everything in a different way but didn't lie or cover up anything, so i should be covered.  Just ask for basic liability insurance.

Thank You Sponsors!