iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jeff and Tom's Florida adventure 2006

Started by Tom, February 12, 2006, 12:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

I got to Tom's place about 4pm, and as soon as I turned the corner to get into his yard (making sure to avoid driving on Gael's grass) , I found this HUGE fire right in the middle of the driveway.  I wsnt sure if this was meant to keep me out, or what, but I stopped the truck right there and walked the rest of the way in  ;D

The funny part is that someone in the crowd that had drank a few cold ones during the afternoon was kicking some of the unburnt wood into the fire later that night after dark. It took them several tries to kick one piece in there until they figured out they were trying to kick a tire track into the fire  :D It wasnt until they yelled "DanG thats a long piece of wood !"

I'm not gonna mention no names  ::)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Corley5

Jeff's new saw compliments of Dang trucking provided by Corley5 Express ;) ;D

What got cooked over the second fire ;D :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

Looks like ya got a couple of shots of me preachin' and everybody else sleeping through it. :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

SwampDonkey

Looks like Tom was the only warm body in the group. Sure an aweful bunch of cold whimps. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

I'd take 15 Michigan degrees over 28 Florida ones anyday :)

Texas Ranger

Is DanG preachin, or howlin at the moon?  Does the boy get out much to roam with a pack like that?  In quiring minds want to know.  :P

(And DanG sorry I wasn't there to take personal note :'( of who said what, to whom)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Corley5

beenthere

Maybe that's a first!  A pic of FF'rs inside and not sittin round a fire or out at an expo somewhere. Nice 'jammin' room. 
I'm wondering, as DanG appears to have quit preachin, If he is gettin any 'music' outta dose whiskers der?  Or is he just strokin some left-over steak drippins er sumptin just as tasty ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

I think he was pickin his teeth ;) ;D ;D :)

DanG

Actually, as it was getting on toward 1am, I was probably tryin' to hold my head up. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

That was fun that night it almost hurts to think about how far away you guys really are.  Old Olin is on da fiddle in that there photo. We plum run out of instruments for him ta play. Banjo Geetar Fiddle and Grand Piano and all of em sounded great!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I might add I look rather brooks and Dunnish in my shirt that Gael gave me. She gave me a couple as they didnt look right hanging in Toms sea of red.

woodbowl

I sure had a lot of fun that night. Slept like a log too. Speaking of logs, DanG sawed a few logs hisself! You could hear him clean across two rooms. It sounded sorta' like a 1958 GMC pickup truck.
    The next morning, DanG makes a Bee line for the coffee pot.  I think everybody aught to see DanG before coffee ............. at least once. A good long stare into the bottem of the coffee pot, and some words uttered from an unknown language reveals that ......... coffee is now at the top of the list and should be addressed immediately!.

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Radar67

Looks like he's thinking, "It's in there somewhere, I know it is, gotta be .........." :D :D :D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sawguy21

Quote from: Texas Ranger on February 21, 2006, 12:13:18 PM
Is DanG preachin, or howlin at the moon?  Does the boy get out much to roam with a pack like that?  In quiring minds want to know.  :P

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D This is fun.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

While on one of our rides, we stopped by Yellow Bluff Fort.  It is an earthworks put up in the War for Southern Independence and guarded access to the St. Johns River.  It is in close proximity to the northern end of the Dame's Point bridge and seldom visited by tourist.  Not many people know of its existence.  I used to metal detect there years ago and found a shovel buried beneath the tree roots  in the bottom of the trench.  I once found the remnants of, what I believe was, the armory.  It was a small building that contained the powder and shot for the big guns.  What remained were many cut nails in an area the size of the old building (according to records) on top of the earthworks.

It's difficult to find much research on stuff like this.  Most sites found by search engine just take your search material and turn it into an advertisement.  Florida still has the Fort as a park and this site has some info.

Florida Park Service Site

We walked around the site and Jeff got the opportunity to place his feet in the same soil as Confederate and Union troops alike.   Both sides occupied this place during the war.  The earthworks were just one of several that General Robert E. Lee asked to be put up on the St. Johns.  As far as I know, this is the only one whose spot has been saved.
Here is a picture of Jeff squatting beneath a Live Oak whose roots have been bared by erosion.  Children, including mine, have spent many happy hours here swinging from ropes in the trees and running up and down the earthworks.  It used to be a fun stop on the way to the beach until the State decided to take it off of the park roles for awhile.   It almost went away before some of the older Historical Society members got it reinstated. Thank goodness for those folks.  History is too important a thing to lose.  I'm hoping that the society will slow down and the newer generations develop an interest in its resurrection and conservation.

It really gives me a bad feeling to see the damage that vandals reek on historic monuments.  The brass and granite sign at Yellow Bluff has been shot several times and cannons removed from their display.  To some, nothing is sacred.

These are the types of places to take your children when you come to Florida.  It will mean much more to them in later years than a ride at Disney.

SwampDonkey

Same with the Old Train Station in Fredericton. It's ownd by that big green and yellow company  and they are letting it fall to the ground while Historical societies want it restored as a National Monument. There are several other stations that have been left to fall down over the years. People soon forget what it meant to have a railroad in this country.  They turned all the river valley railroad into walking trails where you never see a sole walk, just the odd 4 wheeler or ski doo. After spending millions on a trail, it will all soon be forgotten just as happened to all the little parks they created in the 80's. >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Jeff worked real hard to get a picture of a Pelican in flight.  On this one, his telescopic lens was run all the way out and he was tracking the bird like a gunner with a shotgun.  He got a good movie or two of Pelicans too.  They were diving at fish in the inlet, but he kept missing that.

Radar67

SD, they made a trail out of railroad beds here too. All the money was donated by businesses and individuals, no federal or state tax money was used. They call it the Long Leaf Trace and it does see a good bit of use. It is only open to walking and biking, no motorized vehicles.

The trail does help keep history alive for some, but the majority of the users could care less. It is a nice place to visit and walk.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

Here is the clip that I did get of that pelican. I really wanted to get one of them diving, but they did not cooperate. :-\

Tom

where's Waldo?

We took a day to go shopping.  Jeff wanted to find an antique mall.  I went South on US-301 to the little town of Waldo.  It is just south of Lawtey, Starke and Hampton, known nationally as speed traps, and in the same vicinity as the Big Prison.  Raiford is where the state electric chair is located and the institution is reserved for the worst of the worst.  The little surrounding towns have economics built around the prison.  They house guards, administrators, cooks, etc.  We were quite safe here, seeing as how all the bad people were locked up. ;D

This is the store where Jeff found all of the Forestry Books.

Fla._Deadheader

WHAT, no pics of Tom's Cypress ?????????????
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

We also stopped in at Tom's Cypress.  You have probably read a few posts about Tom's Cypress.  He makes big slab cuts of tree butts and burls using an LT40 and an array of chainsaws with bars long enough to reach from one end of a Thanksgiving table to the other.  Tom is a member Wood Mizer's milion board foot club but does no custom sawing.  He has tried to send business my way but the distances are just too great.  Most of his sales are in Europe.  He buys burls in the Pacific Northwest and ships them by railcar to Waldo where he slices them up and loads them into ship-board, overseas containers.   They end up in Europe where they are made into fine tables and furniture.

He also has quite a display of cypress.  His establishment is an old fruit stand surrounded by wire fence.  Inside is his Woodmizer and tons of huge Cypress slabs.
Here is one of the first things that caught Jeff's eye.  It is an old Wheel Saw.   Once used in the pulpwood industry, they were out-lawed because of their danger.  the blade will operate in the vertical position, for bucking, and in the horizontal position for felling small pulpwood sized trees with diameters of 12" or less.

Fla._Deadheader

Rigs similar to that sit all through the woods in Arkansas.  :o :o  Can't imagine running one of them at all, let alone all day, every day  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!