iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Terminology

Started by ARKANSAWYER, February 11, 2006, 09:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Employment of terms.   Basically we have to know the terms so we's know what we's a talking about.   Years ago there must have been alot of confusion because the Government had to get into our business.   Here down South large boards were called planks.  Yankees had a different term and 2x4's were not 2x4's every where.   SO now we's got a bunch of different groups in our business a telling us what is what.   That is really a good thing because I have found that the people up North talk pretty fast and Yoopers are talking in a different tongue all together.  They seem to think that I think as slow as I speak.  When in fact I chew on most of my words before I spit them out and most of the time trying to decide if I want to talk at all.
  With these grades and standards to go by we should all be able to get together and speak about some logs/lumber/cuts without having to explain ourselves.   This forum is a great place to learn and clear up some facts.   Special skill and experience is required to do this and we must have a terminology in which to state what we want to say.

So this brings me to my point.  I want to know if this is a butt cut?

ARKANSAWYER

Fred

ARKY   I think you are right.
                           Fred
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

getoverit

looks like a butt cut to me...... complete with a%%%&8

was there anything stinky laying on the ground next to it?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

brdmkr

Quote from: Fred on February 11, 2006, 10:11:22 AM
ARKY   I think you are right.
                           Fred

Fred, where I am from I would be more tempted to say 'ARKY you ain't right! :D :D :D :D'

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

isassi

:D :D   Very good Arky....I think I agree with you on the terminology...which is what I was trying to do with the guide I suggested in a post. Since I usually am working when I am online, I don't have the time to actually search out past posts to see what stuff is, and I won't be doing by experience to learn it, but I still want to know what it is...I finally figured out the term "stumpage" and I am trying to find something about grading...but what exactly does "spalted" mean???

Coon

Arky
   I think we could go even further with that and call that; a lop-sided butt. :D
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Maybe even a saggy but ?  :-\

Or maybe someone is just lookin for a boot to the hiney.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frank_Pender

For spalted, you may find some in the ARky picture if you let it set long enough , in log form.  Spalted is a fancy word for rot, or the beginnings, thereof. ;D  There are differing stages of spalting in differing species of wood.  Now, Arky had some pictures many moons ago that showed spalted wood.  I believe it was sick-a-more.   I got me some of them trees and am letting them spalt for 18 months like he said.  That way we are all on the same page of how long it takes to spalt the species. :)
Frank Pender

Minnesota_boy

Here's a picture af a box made form spalted maple that I sawed for a customer.  His son took it to school shop to make the box.

I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ElectricAl

Arkansawyer,

Nice lop sided butt ;)

But check out my old Saggy Butt ;D

Where else can you sit around and looks at other sawyers butts and not get into trouble   8)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

getoverit

:D  :D  :D  :D

you guys are killing me  :D

Tim L

No matter where your from, we got those in all walks of life !
Do the best you can and don't look back

Linda

ElectricAl does like looking at Butts. ;)

This might be the biggest one he has ever had his hands on. :o

Linda smiley_heh_heh
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

WV_hillbilly

Linda what a magnificent example .  What speicies is that big ol butt  ?   Is it going to get a wick in it to get it down to managable sizes for the mill ?  Did Al just have push it around or could it be picked up by the skidsteer ? 
Hillbilly

woodhick

Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

sawguy21

I think Al is being a little optimistic. :D :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ARKANSAWYER

Spalt is a "Starbucks" word or "not so rotten you can not use the stinking wood". 

Thus this would be Granda Spalt Sickymore

Now I really like a big butt like Al.

ARKANSAWYER

Faron

Ya know,  I don't think we want to see the other side of that tree! ;)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

fat olde elf

They don't call it Big Crack Lumber for nothing.................
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Fred

Before I found this Fourm I used to throw rotten logs away BUTT now that I know better. I have not had a spalted log.
                                  Fred
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

Linda

WV_Hillbilly,

That was a big soft cottonwood butt. The driver of the dump truck thought it weighed over 15,000 lbs. :-\

ElectricAl cut 5' off the small end to make a 7' log.  Then he used the skid steer along with a Lemco 7000 log loader mounted on a truck to load it. Good thing the stakes came off or they would have never got it loaded. The log was then hauled to the Amish for pallet stock. The log's value was $150 and the trucking was $150, so it was a wash to make it go away. smiley_wavy We did not want to mess with the log because it was punky in the center....Hence, No wick. smiley_fused_bomb
The 5' top was bucked into 8 big chunks then ground into mulch. smiley_thumbsup

SawGuy21,

Optimistic is a good way to describe ElectricAl. ;D  Even at 7' the log was still to heavy to push. smiley_crying When the Lemco started lifting the far side duels and outrigger came off the ground. :o ElectricAl got the forks under the log and lifted causing his rear wheels to come up.
Together the truck and skid steer rocked back and forth while the hydraulic bypasses squawked. smiley_eek_dropjaw
Slowly the log went up and on the deck. smiley_smug01

Arkansawyer,

Is that the Butt that broke your leg? smiley_dizzy 

jpgreen

Do only certain kinds of trees produce useful spalted wood?
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

ARKANSAWYER

YES!
ARKANSAWYER

getoverit

This is the ONLY place I know if that people can sit around and talk about big butts and NOBODY gets offended  :D

Linda

OUCH! smiley_crying

Please pardon the pun Arky....but did you kick some butt?  smiley_whip ;D

ARKANSAWYER

Nope!   I never get mad.   I just "Git 'er sawn"!  Mess with me and I will lay you level. ;D

ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!