iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS880 or Husky 3120?

Started by bh, February 09, 2006, 09:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bh

I'm going to buy a new chainsaw for my sawmill. It will be either the MS880 or the 3120. What are the pros and cons on both machines? Where can I find detailed specs(RPM, torque, hp) about the machines?
Thanks in advance
BH

TexasTimbers

They are both great machines, but Stihl guys will tell you to go with the Stihl and Husky guys will say they prefer the Huskies. Here is a discussion on saws for chainsaw mills in general and if you do various word searches here you'll find more info.
As to finding the specs of the saws, the websites of the manufacturers should have them. Lotsa info here too though.
You can't go wrong either way in my opinion. As to my personal preference .... I tried to color the above links in Husqavarna Orange but there wasn't an option ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sawguy21

I have run a 3120 through fir and was very impressed although the 37" bar made it tough to carry around. It was smooth with tons of power. Have not tried the big Stihl yet but I expect to soon.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ehp

I use both saws and build quite a few of both , if it was up to me I would use the 880, just because of the high speed jet you can set in the carb  plus it rpm's alittle higher . The 880 has a limiter of 12000 rpm's compared to a new 3120 of 10000.

DonE911

I asked a similar question a while back...  EHP answered alot of questions and the 880 was the choice. 

I still use 066's, but I generally don't use bars over 25 inches.  A 20 inch and 16 inch are the most ued bars and RPM is important for me and cutting speed.....  I'll be trying out a mod'd 066 here soon... let you know how it worked out if you want to know.   

ehp

yes if you donot need the extra weight then the 066 or the 395 will work well and you can use the saws to fall with also

Thank You Sponsors!