iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nice walk with a veneer buyer...

Started by Ever Green, February 09, 2006, 05:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ever Green

I took a nice walk in the lot I'm logging with a veneer (cherry) buyer today.  I learned a lot.  Probably marked 30 or so trees.  Mostly 9 footers.  Some 10's, 12's and14's...probably eight or nine 20 footers.  Learned about gum, what it looks like, and how I might be able to tell trees that may have gum.  Nepotytes...I think that's the word he was using...small holes in the bark...not bird peck...Had it not started snowing so hard we would have found more...this lot has never been managed and you can tell.  More cherry than you can imagine...200 or so acres...half cherry in various stages of growth and the other half maple(hard and soft) and ash.  Plus all the beech and hemlock you can handle...It's my first real logging job and my retired forester/timber buyer has been teaching a lot...It's like walking the woods with a book...keep your fingers crossed and hope those that were marked will be veneer...many 30+ inchers... 
Vince

jon12345

Sounds like you got a nice stand there, and with proper management has a lot of potential.  :)

Gum is caused by a tree wound fillin with sap and healing over, it is the natural defense system of the tree.  Aside from gum pockets you will also see gum lines in cherry also.

If you check the other threads, you will find some pictures and some tricks of how to identify birdseye maple.   :P

where exactly is colden?
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Ever Green

Colden is 35 miles or so south of Buffalo...Not to much talk about birdseye maple around here...would be nice to run into some...thanks for the info about the gum...I took about 14 cherry trees of my property last year...they had gum...which was to bad...they were sweet trees...about 3000-4000 bf (filled a log truck right up) , can't remember exactly...got good money for them though...just outside  veneer quality.  Where's Newport, NYC area?
Vince

jon12345

I'm about a half hr northeast of Utica.

I used to work at a wood factory that made panels for cabinetry, caskets, and shelves out of low grade cherry, and maple.  Even if it isn't veneer quality, you will still get some good money, especially 30" logs.

They really don't know what causes birdseye, so I wouldn't be suprised if it popped up in your woodlot.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

twoodward15

Ahhh the south towns.  I'm originally from Silver Creek and it isn't much further south of buffalo along the lake, about 35 miles I think.  Hmmmm, now I have to look up colden.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Thank You Sponsors!