iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Low Impact Skidder

Started by Grappletractor, February 09, 2006, 02:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grappletractor

TexasTimbers

Wow, reading the "comparative analysis" makes me wonder how I'm getting along without one.
Do they cost more than a buck two-ninety-eight? :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Woodhog

Wow..

What an interesting machine.. this thing has all the features that I always wished my tractor had for logging operations...plus it is still a tractor with lots of other uses....

I wonder what the basic machine costs???

Thanks for the link

Coon

Well, this is definately something different than most of us are used to.  I do believe that just from looking at this machine that there is definately some issues that I would have built differently IMHO.  I think that there would definately be some problems with having a machine in the steep mountains that has an overall length that is around 3 times longer than its width.  For instance when you are travelling up a steep mountain trail it may definately have enough stability until the trail turns and goes across the face of the mountain.  All would be good until you drove over maybe a large stump or a large boulder and overturn the whole machine.  The oscilation may help until the back tire rises over the stump or boulder.  Going slow would definately help the scenario out but if had not seen the stump or boulder stoping in time would definately be not possible.  My step-father was killed in a very similar scenario about 10 years ago involving a Caterpillar 627B twin motor scraper while working on a steep mountain side road that the company he worked for was building.  The motorscraper had ROPS as well as a cab and he had his seatbelt on.  He passed on from a broken neck.  The accident was looked into and from what they found that was the cause of the accident was a large rock/boulder fell of the previous load on the high side.  It is believed that speed was not involved as the scraper was only in second gear when the first responders arrived on scene.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

RSteiner

I have talked to the man who designed this piece of equipment and I have seen the first one he made a number of years ago.  My mother and this gentleman were on some committee together for a while which gave me the opportunity to have an extended conversation with him.

It's is a pretty impressive piece of equipment and there have been a lot of improvements made since the first prototype.  I have watched a video at the New Hampshire Farm and Forest Expo on several occasions, one just two weeks ago. 

Because of it's length it takes a little bit of back and forth to get turned around in a tight spot but it seems to go along quite well even on rough terrain.  The winch speed seemed a little slow but that could be the video.

As far as price goes they are what I consider fairly pricey, but compared to what other forestry equipment is going for they seem to be in line with that. 

Randy
Randy

Thank You Sponsors!